• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    ive only been carrying my G19 for about 4 months and im not quite ready to carry one in the chamber..not that i dont trust myself, but idk, just not quite ready
    wish Glock had a safety or something, that would make me feel better about it

A safety is a mechanical device that can fail. If the trigger is not pulled on a Glock, it will not fire. A holster covering the trigger, keeps it safe.

However, everyone must do what they are comfortable with. It is important to understand the possible consequences, which I think this thread has done pretty well.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    ive only been carrying my G19 for about 4 months and im not quite ready to carry one in the chamber..not that i dont trust myself, but idk, just not quite ready

The ultimate safety is the one between your ears.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend

It's been mentioned, and I'll say it again.

EXTERNAL SAFETIES HAVE NO BUSINESS ON A DEFENSIVE HANDGUN!!!!!

That's exactly how I feel. I do not own, and WILL NOT carry a handgun with any type of external safety. If it gives you better peace of mind to carry a less reliable, prone to failure, more dangerous self defense weapon, go for it.

Too many things can go wrong with safeties. May end up getting you killed.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Read the new book out on Glock. I caught just a part of it in a gun mag and Gaston Glock left the safety off because he actually did some research and found a lot of accidents by military and police caused by the safety on the gun. He even carried around the current issued gun and after a while he said he couldn't remember if it was engaged or not, and that was the cause for a few of the accidental shootings.

As stated by many the best safety is not putting your finger in the trigger guard until ready to fire.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    Read the new book out on Glock. I caught just a part of it in a gun mag and Gaston Glock left the safety off because he actually did some research and found a lot of accidents by military and police caused by the safety on the gun. He even carried around the current issued gun and after a while he said he couldn't remember if it was engaged or not, and that was the cause for a few of the accidental shootings.

As stated by many the best safety is not putting your [STRIKE]finger[/STRIKE] BOOGER PICKER on the [STRIKE]trigger guard[/STRIKE] ON THE BANG SWITCH until ready to fire.

FIFY..............For those of us born south of US 40 :rockwoot:

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    I don't understand the purpose behind not having one in the chamber. You might as well carry a hammer, instead.
    Last time I checked, you can't rack the slide on a hammer/rock and fire "x" amount of rounds. I find it silly when people in this thread are comparing carying without one in the chamber to throwing a rock or a hammer. Really? I see that your opinion differs from anothers, but try not to play the extremes game. As seen in videos posted in this thread, the difference in time that it takes to rack the slide and fire is negligable if properly trained.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Last time I checked, you can't rack the slide on a hammer/rock and fire "x" amount of rounds. I find it silly when people in this thread are comparing carying without one in the chamber to throwing a rock or a hammer. Really? I see that your opinion differs from anothers, but try not to play the extremes game. As seen in videos posted in this thread, the difference in time that it takes to rack the slide and fire is negligable if properly trained.

You are assuming you will have use of both hands. If you take your off hand out of the equation, how much faster can you shoot someone with a round in the pipe vs having to rack?

It is not an uncommon defensive situation to have to use your off hand to fend off or control a deadly weapon coming at you, while you are pulling yours. In that situation, the only rack opportunity is similar to those if your weak arm is disabled. I would try a holster rack. Chances of that being successful while wrestling with an adversary is under 50/50. So my best chance would be to club them in the head with my gun, until I could move away enough to get my off hand free to turn my club back into a gun.

If you are drawing and engaging a target, it won't be much slower. But no one will be faster and hit better on a draw with an empty chamber. However, most defensive uses of a firearm are in close. And I choose to stack the deck in my favor as much as possible.

Just like OC vs CC, I won't tell anyone what to do. I have looked at the situation and these reasons are why I do things the way I do. A vast majority of people who have much more experience than me agree with this as well.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    You are assuming you will have use of both hands. If you take your off hand out of the equation, how much faster can you shoot someone with a round in the pipe vs having to rack?

This was the line of thought that finally got me convinced to take off the training wheels and carry only with one in the chamber. It wasn't anything in the news or any internet discussion; it was during my normal evening walk when I was charged by an averaged-sized dog. She stopped due to the invisible fence they had but it got me thinking of how I'd get my gun into play if I had a dog chewing on my support hand's arm. I was so taken by surprise that I couldn't have cleared my holster and had enough time to get a round in and being mauled by a dog while trying to rack the gun on my holster wasn't ever going to happen.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    It's been mentioned, and I'll say it again.

EXTERNAL SAFETIES HAVE NO BUSINESS ON A DEFENSIVE HANDGUN!!!!!

That's exactly how I feel. I do not own, and WILL NOT carry a handgun with any type of external safety. If it gives you better peace of mind to carry a less reliable, prone to failure, more dangerous self defense weapon, go for it.

Too many things can go wrong with safeties. May end up getting you killed.

This is complete horse:poop: . You can also shoot yourself while drawing your safety-less handgun in a moment of stress. Not saying you will but it HAS happened...actually quite a bit. Probably more often than a safety failing. Anyway, there are an awful lot of people on here, supposedly a forum that supports personal choice, who love to tell people how they should do things. Must be all the Liberal kool-aid. Do not be afraid of whatever handgun you choose to carry. Practice until you are comfortable and proficient and have at it. Haters gonna hate.

Last edited:

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    If you can rack the slide while using your off hand to protect your head or fight off an attacker, I commend you.

External safeties have NO business on a defensive handgun.

If you understand the internal safety devices on your firearm, you will understand that it cannot fire unless you make it. Most have firing pin block safeties, which prevent the firing pin or striker to contact the primer unless the trigger is pulled.

It is not a good idea to carry unchambered. There is no good reason to do it, and it will decrease your survivability. If you can't carry chambered, don't carry at all. You might as well not.

It is not an uncommon defensive situation to have to use your off hand to fend off or control a deadly weapon coming at you, while you are pulling yours. In that situation, the only rack opportunity is similar to those if your weak arm is disabled. I would try a holster rack. Chances of that being successful while wrestling with an adversary is under 50/50. So my best chance would be to club them in the head with my gun, until I could move away enough to get my off hand free to turn my club back into a gun.

If you are drawing and engaging a target, it won't be much slower. But no one will be faster and hit better on a draw with an empty chamber. However, most defensive uses of a firearm are in close. And I choose to stack the deck in my favor as much as possible.

Seems like I kinda said the exact same thing. Seems like no one cares.

You have to look at this realistically. This isn't TV where the bad guy is at 20 feet when he demands money. It's up close and personal. In some cases it will be so tremendously difficult to even unholster, let alone bring it into battery. Stress adds a lot to the equation. You are disillusioned if you believe there is time to rack the slide. 11 times out of 10, there isn't, and seconds count.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Or, everyone else is also adding their :twocents: in order to help show a majority opinion on what is carried and how. :yesway:

Glad you're okay. Sucks that it took a real life scenario to get you thinking about it, but at least you came out alive. Count your blessings.

It's exactly this that I try to mention. Dogs. Criminals are not the only thing we need to look out for. So many sheeple don't understand this.

My friend has shot and killed one man, and two dogs in self defense in his life.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Glad you're okay. Sucks that it took a real life scenario to get you thinking about it, but at least you came out alive. Count your blessings.

It's exactly this that I try to mention. Dogs. Criminals are not the only thing we need to look out for. So many sheeple don't understand this.

My friend has shot and killed one man, and two dogs in self defense in his life.

I think a few too many can get caught up in the big epic scenarios like Aurora or Katrina and work their way into thinking that they wouldn't be in a place like that at a time like that...but it happens more often than not in a terrible hurry where you have to draw and shoot while trying to push a family member out of the way or worse.

Now the opposite happens and I feel nekid not only when I don't have it with me (which isn't very often) and when I don't have one in the pipe.

In the end, for me, I probably could have just delivered a swift kick and ended it there...but there are always other bigger, faster and meaner dogs that won't be swayed by a kick in the jaw and that put it into perspective for me.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    This is complete horse:poop: . You can also shoot yourself while drawing your safety-less handgun in a moment of stress. Not saying you will but it HAS happened...actually quite a bit. Probably more often than a safety failing. Anyway, there are an awful lot of people on here, supposedly a forum that supports personal choice, who love to tell people how they should do things. Must be all the Liberal kool-aid. Do not be afraid of whatever handgun you choose to carry. Practice until you are comfortable and proficient and have at it. Haters gonna hate.
    Only if you put your "bugger picker on the bang switch" before you have sights on target!

You can also induce a FTF when racking the slide. In a high stress situation less steps is better. Why do you think we recommend people that don't practice with their carry gun to get a revolver. Too many moving parts to deal with.

If you have ever been at the range and pulled the trigger on one of your guns and nothing, because you forgot the safety was on, you can bet it will happen again when you don't want it to.

Not something I am willing to bet my life on.

steamy1861

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2013
    Brownsburg
    As a Marine I was issued a M-1911A1 and we carried without one in the pipe because they were prone to discharge (so we were told). When we went to the M-9 we always carried with one chambered.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    As a Marine I was issued a M-1911A1 and we carried without one in the pipe because they were prone to discharge (so we were told). When we went to the M-9 we always carried with one chambered.
    At least you're posting some valid information. :n00b:

Still, this is the fifth or sixth necropost you've done since posting this:

Just tried to contact a person about an item for sale and was informed that I have to post 50 time before I can talk to someone. Seems asinine but I don't make the rules. Would how many folks missed out on a sale because of this?

Please, go read this: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums

Ltrain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    Just as an update I bought a crossbreed holster months ago and have been carrying with one in the chamber. I carry everywhere I go except work, against the rules. I've even gotten comfortable enough to just about walk into work with it on. Comfortable not COMPLACENT!

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Just as an update I bought a crossbreed holster months ago and have been carrying with one in the chamber. I carry everywhere I go except work, against the rules. I've even gotten comfortable enough to just about walk into work with it on. Comfortable not COMPLACENT!

:yesway:

Thanks for the update!

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN

Out of my curiosity (and I have a Beretta 92fs), did they require you to carry it with the safety on?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom