• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    I am a beer snob and usually prefer to drink beer but don't get me wrong - I love a good glass of whiskey. I like a lot of bourbons - 1792 is a good, relatively inexpensive bourbon - but my favorite whiskey hands down is Johnnie Walker Black Label...MMMMMM

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    If it isn't Kentucky bourbon, it isn't bourbon. I was brainwashed by that whilst on the Bourbon Trail a few years ago. We visited Buffalo Trace, Woodford Reserve and Maker's Mark. We were traveling with about 18 guys on a bachelor party.

At Buffalo Trace, we had a 'refined southern gentleman' tour guide. He was amazing. He was one of the best orators I have ever heard in my life. Perfect timing and delivery of punch lines and that cool southern charm that resonates from some people. The tour was a lot of a fun and a lot of name brands were made at Buffalo Trace. The tour was free. We weren't allowed to touch or interact with very much.

Woodford Reserve had a completely different feel to it. The tour showed you a little more of the production of bourbon than Buffalo Trace. We had to pay two or three dollars for the tour but it was worth it. They gave you a shot glass you were able to keep when the time came for samples. Our tour guide was a very spunky middle aged woman who was very kind. She took a lot of time answering questions and was very charismatic.

The big surprise for the bachelor was taking him to Maker's Mark. It was hard to keep him distracted because Loretto was quite a ways from Woodford Reserve. If any of you aren't Maker's Mark Ambassadors, let me know and I'll send you invitations to be one. If you like Maker's at all, it is an excellent and free club to join. Each year, they send out wonderful holiday gifts to their Ambassadors. The perks? You get to have a barrel with your name on it at the factory. When it is ready, you can dip your own bourbon out of the barrel with your name on it. They email you updates about what stage of production your bourbon barrel is it. They treat you really well when you tell them that you're an Ambassador as well. How do I know? When we were on our way to Loretto, we called Maker's Mark and told them that we might not be able to make it before they closed. They asked us how far away we were from arrival. I think our timing put us at showing up around 30 minutes of showing up after they closed. They asked us where we were from and I told them that I was from Indiana and had been a Maker's Mark Ambassador for about three years and because of our special circumstances of 1. it being a bachelor party and 2. some of us were Ambassadors they agreed to give us a free, private, after-hours tour! I was blown away by how nice they treated us. Our tour was not rushed, it was not shortened nor were we treated rudely. This is also the only place we visited that allowed us to touch and taste EVERYTHING from samples of Maker's Mark to the various stages of open-vat fermenting bourbon/wort. We were even able to taste "moonshine" Maker's Mark... the samples or pre-barreled raw alcohol. The tour guide gave us Ambassador's a few extra goodies and everyone was able to visit the gift shop when we were done. I hand dipped a small bourbon bottle and made my own plastic wax seal. The label had my name on it. If I had not thoroughly enjoyed Maker's to begin with, this whole experience made me a Maker's fanboy for life. I'd love to go back.

INGO Bourbon Trail Group Road Trip and Meet-n-Greet? :D

When I hit that five year mark of dealing with health stuff, I plan on buying a very fine bottle of Bourbon or Scotch to celebrate my blessings.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    If it isn't Kentucky bourbon, it isn't bourbon. I was brainwashed by that whilst on the Bourbon Trail a few years ago. We visited Buffalo Trace, Woodford Reserve and Maker's Mark. We were traveling with about 18 guys on a bachelor party.

At Buffalo Trace, we had a 'refined southern gentleman' tour guide. He was amazing. He was one of the best orators I have ever heard in my life. Perfect timing and delivery of punch lines and that cool southern charm that resonates from some people. The tour was a lot of a fun and a lot of name brands were made at Buffalo Trace. The tour was free. We weren't allowed to touch or interact with very much.

Woodford Reserve had a completely different feel to it. The tour showed you a little more of the production of bourbon than Buffalo Trace. We had to pay two or three dollars for the tour but it was worth it. They gave you a shot glass you were able to keep when the time came for samples. Our tour guide was a very spunky middle aged woman who was very kind. She took a lot of time answering questions and was very charismatic.

The big surprise for the bachelor was taking him to Maker's Mark. It was hard to keep him distracted because Loretto was quite a ways from Woodford Reserve. If any of you aren't Maker's Mark Ambassadors, let me know and I'll send you invitations to be one. If you like Maker's at all, it is an excellent and free club to join. Each year, they send out wonderful holiday gifts to their Ambassadors. The perks? You get to have a barrel with your name on it at the factory. When it is ready, you can dip your own bourbon out of the barrel with your name on it. They email you updates about what stage of production your bourbon barrel is it. They treat you really well when you tell them that you're an Ambassador as well. How do I know? When we were on our way to Loretto, we called Maker's Mark and told them that we might not be able to make it before they closed. They asked us how far away we were from arrival. I think our timing put us at showing up around 30 minutes of showing up after they closed. They asked us where we were from and I told them that I was from Indiana and had been a Maker's Mark Ambassador for about three years and because of our special circumstances of 1. it being a bachelor party and 2. some of us were Ambassadors they agreed to give us a free, private, after-hours tour! I was blown away by how nice they treated us. Our tour was not rushed, it was not shortened nor were we treated rudely. This is also the only place we visited that allowed us to touch and taste EVERYTHING from samples of Maker's Mark to the various stages of open-vat fermenting bourbon/wort. We were even able to taste "moonshine" Maker's Mark... the samples or pre-barreled raw alcohol. The tour guide gave us Ambassador's a few extra goodies and everyone was able to visit the gift shop when we were done. I hand dipped a small bourbon bottle and made my own plastic wax seal. The label had my name on it. If I had not thoroughly enjoyed Maker's to begin with, this whole experience made me a Maker's fanboy for life. I'd love to go back.

When I hit that five year mark of dealing with health stuff, I plan on buying a very fine bottle of Bourbon or Scotch to celebrate my blessings.

Great story. Send me a Maker's invite. I'm definately a fan.
    That 5 year bottle will taste great I'm sure :yesway:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've been known to have a sip from time to time.
    IMG_3764.jpg

CopperWires

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Woodford Reserve for sipping.
    Jim Beam Black for mixing with Coke.
    Knob Creek is smooth but I don't like the taste too much.
    Buffalo Trace acts like a top shelf but priced for the lower shelf.
    Jack Daniels with Pepsi.

I highly recommend Wild Turkey American Honey. It's very smooth and has a nice sweet taste.
    Has anyone tried Red Stag from Jim Beam? I'm intrigued.

SAMSON

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Indy, Southside
    In order of importance; Bookers (recreational), Forty Creek(surprisingly smooth for price)Knob Creek (Functional), Makers Mark ( Wound sterilation w/ anesthetic properties.) My BOB contains Bookers and Knob Creek) Not sure where Forty Creek is from. Bourbon can be medicinal and comforting.

Last edited:

hardtrailz400

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Batesvegas
    Woodford Reserve for sipping.
    Jim Beam Black for mixing with Coke.
    Knob Creek is smooth but I don't like the taste too much.
    Buffalo Trace acts like a top shelf but priced for the lower shelf.
    Jack Daniels with Pepsi.

I highly recommend Wild Turkey American Honey. It's very smooth and has a nice sweet taste.
    Has anyone tried Red Stag from Jim Beam? I'm intrigued.

Actually quite good slightly chilled. Think mild Dr Pepper flavor. I got several not whiskey drinkers to try it and like it. I love having a lil glass here and there.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne

:rockwoot: I'd be in.

I stole Jeremy's list. These are the ones I actually like.

Baker'sJim Beam Distilleries, Clermont, Kentucky & Boston, Kentucky
    Basil Hayden'sJim Beam Distilleries, Clermont & Boston, Kentucky
    Booker's Jim Beam Distilleries, Clermont & Boston, Kentucky
    Knob CreekJim Beam Distilleries, Clermont & Boston, Kentucky
    Maker's MarkMaker's Mark Distillery, Loretto, Kentucky

If you included Whiskey I'd add a few more.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom