• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    It's here! I'm working now, but come 5 o'clock I'll give it a sip.

roughstock.jpg

I expect a review of this soon! :D

The reviews on their site made it sound like a promising taste experience...

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Buffalo Trace

Here is one I have had the pleasure of trying, picked it up for $24.99 at a place in Crown Point off Broadway if i remember correctly. Its called Buffalo Trace. Really great stuff. I have had Bourbons that were 60 bucks a bottle that were not this good.

The ATF is gonna be after me for this picture.
    picture.php
    [/IMG]

The aroma is that of vanilla, mint, and freshly cut walnuts. Its smooth. And the taste is sweet with tastes of oak and brown sugar, with something i can't put my finger on. I pour it over 2 ice cubes, and it really brings out the flavor. Its not such an expensive bourbon that you feel guilty mixing it with a cherry coke or apple pucker either. It does equally well being used for mixed drinks.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Pappy Van Winkle

I tried a few different Pappy Van winkles over the weekend

1 shot of 20 year reserve at @230.00 bottle
    and 1 shot of special reserve @140.00 bottle

The 2 shots were free :rockwoot:of course i did not "shoot them"

Ive never had such a lovely Bourbon

so sweet and smooth, yumm yumm

+1 on the Buffalo trace I went there after buying my Saiga 12 from KY. Took the tour and all. They also produce a very very very fine Vodka "RAIN" Best when straight, you can sense the sweet charred oak barrels and caramel in it real nice!

Last edited:

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    WOW.

The aroma is like homemade bread dough. The first taste is buttery and smooth, then dissolves into a sparkly burn reminiscent of single-malt scotch. There's also a distinct something that reminds me of bourbon, but I don't know what it is. It seems to evaporate off your tongue. Not being a sophisticated drinker, I don't have the vocabulary to describe it in any more detail, but I have a friend coming over who's a little better in that regard. We'll see what he has to say.

It's too bad the price is "special occasion" category for me, because I could seriously drink this every day.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    My friend said "extremely smooth, with a solid oak finish". He thought the aroma was "interesting", and he agreed that tastewise, it could easily be a daily drinker if it weren't for the price. He found the taste less complex than scotch, sort of in the mode that "it's one-dimensional, but it does that one dimension very well".

steepo17

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    NE Indpls
    Bourbon Trail

Some buddy's of mine are talking about planning a trip around the Bourbon Trail. I am not very familiar with the route/experience, but heard it's a great opportunity to visit several of Kentucky's distilleries. Anyone done this?

philo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Peoples Republic of Bloomington
    Knob Creek is a fine Kentucky bourbon - cork, wax seal, and all. Sweeter than Makers, less sweet than Beam. Otherwise very smooth and mellow. Good neat, better on the rocks, and too good to waste mixing with nasty stuff like cherry coke!

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    WOW.

The aroma is like homemade bread dough. The first taste is buttery and smooth, then dissolves into a sparkly burn reminiscent of single-malt scotch. There's also a distinct something that reminds me of bourbon, but I don't know what it is. It seems to evaporate off your tongue. Not being a sophisticated drinker, I don't have the vocabulary to describe it in any more detail, but I have a friend coming over who's a little better in that regard. We'll see what he has to say.

It's too bad the price is "special occasion" category for me, because I could seriously drink this every day.

My friend said "extremely smooth, with a solid oak finish". He thought the aroma was "interesting", and he agreed that tastewise, it could easily be a daily drinker if it weren't for the price. He found the taste less complex than scotch, sort of in the mode that "it's one-dimensional, but it does that one dimension very well".

Dang that sure sounds tasty...
    I'll have to look for a bottle when I get home. Thanks for the review and the heads up! :rockwoot:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Bringing this thread back up...

Has anyone tried the W.H. Harrison Straight Bourbon yet?!

I picked up a bottle out of curiosity and will be popping it open in the near future...

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    All this talk of Whiskey and I haven't seen one mason jar. The best Whiskey comes in mason jars or re-purposed gallon milk jugs.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Just remembered they can't ship to Indiana because you guys live in Nazi Germany or something. Sorry about your luck!

I wasn't aware you could mail-order liquor in other states. I thought the Feds were the ones holding us back. Prohibition sucks.

You guys ever hear about how inexpensive liquor can be in countries where they don't tax it? Some friends went to the Caribbean and brought back as many bottles as they would allow on the plane. Had to be half the price of what it costs here for the same bottle.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Indiana has a 3 tiered liquor distribution system.

1) Distilleries/Breweries/Wineries

2) Whole Sellers/Distrubutors (basically wharehousing)

3) Retailers. (who only have to work 6 days a week by law)

Everyone gets their piece of the pie. Plus tax of course. All in the name of keeping the product "safe" even though no one tests or puts any kind of quality control on the product after it's bottled/canned.

It's a hell of a racket if you can get into it.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Bringing this thread back up...

Has anyone tried the W.H. Harrison Straight Bourbon yet?!

I picked up a bottle out of curiosity and will be popping it open in the near future...

I'm curious as well. I just left the store buying a bottle of Evan Williams Single Barrel as a housewarming gift for a buddy and saw it there on the shelf. I've not seen an Indiana Bourbon before.
    2011-01-10_15-02-00_507.jpg

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    im 90% makers mark either reg or 46.
    the other 10% falls for bookers, crown xr/cask 16, jack daniels single. (thats in no particular order)

Top Bottom