• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Crydaddy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 30, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    my BOC of choice would be a subaru outback with a thule /yakima roof basket for jerry cans and 2 spare tires. a thule terrapin on my hitch for additional cargo. a capable 4 wheeler with good gas consumption.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I would have to recommend something that does not have electronic ignition or anything vital computerized. An electromagnetic pulse is within the realm of possibility and with something truly old school, all you have to do is restart it. The new stuff will require repair/parts replacement.

Scratcher

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    In a house
    I would have to recommend something that does not have electronic ignition or anything vital computerized. An electromagnetic pulse is within the realm of possibility and with something truly old school, all you have to do is restart it. The new stuff will require repair/parts replacement.

My old F250 6.9 Diesel has no computer or electronics:D

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    my BOC of choice would be a subaru outback with a thule /yakima roof basket for jerry cans and 2 spare tires. a thule terrapin on my hitch for additional cargo. a capable 4 wheeler with good gas consumption.

Until you go up a hill , starve it for oil and have a roasted boxer engine. I love my subie but not for that situation.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    If you are close enough to an EMP Event that this is truly a problem you are going to be dead inside of a week anyway...

So it does not really matter....

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    My vote would be a milsurp army truck Im currently wanting a M35a2 2.5 ton truck. They have a 500 mile range enough truck bed (12ft) to store anything. They will run on anything that you put in it diesel bio diesel gasoline aviation fuel brake fluid hydrolic oil etc etc lol they are a simple diesel without much wiring and no computers in the event of EMP from whatever can cause it like a airborne nuclear device. Sadly they are massive and loud thats the bad but they are cheap for around 3k and that can get you into one that may need a little work. If the size isnt your style the M1009 could be a good choice as its basically a diesel K5 Blazer with 3.08 gears and lockers front and rear but Im not sure about the range. Milsurp Parts are dirt cheap online. You can get an entire crate engine for around 800

onesurveyor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Crew cab cummins. 500mi to the tank and with my tank in the bed holding another 125gal thats another 2000mi. Which gets me to Alaska and then a boat to Russia.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    My vote would be a milsurp army truck Im currently wanting a M35a2 2.5 ton truck. They have a 500 mile range enough truck bed (12ft) to store anything. They will run on anything that you put in it diesel bio diesel gasoline aviation fuel brake fluid hydrolic oil etc etc lol they are a simple diesel without much wiring and no computers in the event of EMP from whatever can cause it like a airborne nuclear device. Sadly they are massive and loud thats the bad but they are cheap for around 3k and that can get you into one that may need a little work. If the size isnt your style the M1009 could be a good choice as its basically a diesel K5 Blazer with 3.08 gears and lockers front and rear but Im not sure about the range. Milsurp Parts are dirt cheap online. You can get an entire crate engine for around 800
    You need to learn a LOT more about the M35A2.
    First off the only way you are going to get one to go 500 miles on a tank of Fuel is if the truck is unloaded, you are driving downgrade, and there is a healthy tailwind...
    Second, SOME of the M35's are Multi-Fuel. Not very many. If you are going to run anything other than Diesel, Kerosene, Fuel Oil, or SOME of the Bio Fuels they have to be blended.
    Third, if you are close enough to an Airborne Nuclear Device that EMP is an issue then you are going to be dead in week anyway...
    Forth, The M1009 CUCV does not have Lockers on the Front or the Rear...
    Fifth, it is going to be hard to find Mil-Surp Parts in your SHTF World...

sbsg2005

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    I knew someone would chime in on the ol deuce and a half. Plus finding a multi fuel for 3 grand is not easy they are closer to 5. I still want one though mainly to haul my jeep in the bed of it to go wheeling.

jb28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Although we don't own an suv or an ideal BOV, we do have a Toyota Sienna, which can haul lots of supplies, people and fuel. We also have a Civic which can't haul very much, but is the most dependable vehicle I've ever seen. While neither of these can go offroad they offer something alot of the vehicles seen here, dependability. I sold cars for about 7 years and ran a service shop, Ive seen just about all of these vehicles, with the exception of the military vehicles, have alot issues of some sort. I'll take what I have when the SHTF, and make do. Alot of us are like minded people who will do what it takes to ensure our family's survival. Like they say "pray for the best, and plan for the worst." Let's just pray it's not the latter. Just sayin'...

J man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Defiance, OH area
    For the OP, if you are willing to pull a trailer you might be able to find a smaller used camper for a reasonable price. This would allow you to carry about the same and would have use incase you can not make it to your location in one shot.

Top Bottom