• Which vehicle?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Sub for sure. Any trailer is going to increase fuel consumption that much more.

If your BOL is more than a tank away, you should find a new one.

This is what I was thinking as soon as I read the thread.
    If you are going to bug out to another state via highway, think of every single zombie movie you've seen. Highways are clogged, you are **** out of luck. Even if the highways are free, you will be in traffic and have reduced gas mileage.

Your BOL should probably be within a comfortable 50-100 miles, any more than that and you are asking for trouble.

If you have to stop to refuel when SHTF, I hope you have tons of cash on hand, because I can see prices at $20 / gallon

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Your BOL should probably be within a comfortable 50-100 miles, any more than that and you are asking for trouble.
    Yes and no...

It is always good to have more than just a Plan A and B.
    How do you know which direction is going to be the right way to Bug towards?!
    Or how far you might have to Bug to get out of the Danger?!

I have spots that I can Bug to in All Directions and several that are several says drive.

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Yes and no...

It is always good to have more than just a Plan A and B.
    How do you know which direction is going to be the right way to Bug towards?!
    Or how far you might have to Bug to get out of the Danger?!

I have spots that I can Bug to in All Directions and several that are several says drive.

I agree with you that you should have multiple plans (especially in the event of nuclear related catastrophes as you deal with fallout)

My primary plan is a max 40 mile travel before I regroup and re-assess the situation.

After I make the initial travel I can decide to stay there or continue on to a different location

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I agree with you that you should have multiple plans (especially in the event of nuclear related catastrophes as you deal with fallout)

My primary plan is a max 40 mile travel before I regroup and re-assess the situation.

After I make the initial travel I can decide to stay there or continue on to a different location
    For me My Original Plan is to Bug In and eval the situation from the house. By doing this it allows me to ascertain exactly how grim the situation is and how far I may have to travel. This allows me to decide what I want to pack as well as choose what I want to use to haul it in. ;)

J man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Defiance, OH area
    I would do the SUV with the small enclosed trailer (motorcycle size). Look around and you might be able to find a trailer on Craigslist or E bay or even in the paper.

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    found this on craigslist

'93 chevy g-30 hi cube van

5I85Jb5Me3Lf3Mb3Fdc12b12c1ed376d410fe.jpg

5Gf5K25Hf3K73F93N2c124c11b8d40c8414ba.jpg

Gator762

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    My farthest BOL is 26 miles away and thats my last resort. I think, like some said, should have more then one or two places to go. I think a car huler is a good idia for a SUV.

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    My farthest BOL is 26 miles away and thats my last resort. I think, like some said, should have more then one or two places to go. I think a car huler is a good idia for a SUV.

What if you have to go off the road?
    The car hauler is going to greatly decrease your mileage and your mobility. You will have trouble doing everything from passing to backing up to squeezing through tight spaces.

Not trying to bash on anybody, just posing good points/questions

The Mechanic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    I'm a suv guy,Jeep cherokee,comanche truck, and chevy traiblazer for the wife.Since i'm rural i plan on bugging in.However plan b is only 4 miles away well stocked smack in the middle of 400 acres(father in laws) woods.I will be towing a high clearance trailer that contains my diesel geni and remaining food stores.Plan c is 26 miles further south but cant be pre stocked,so thats last resort.

Gator762

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Ya I dont like the idea (after I tought about it) but it is in arms reach and i could put almost everyting in the back in the SUV. But i can do the car huler on my last place no prob. I can get there four different ways.

roisigns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Oct 5, 2011
    cincy
    Assume that you will encounter at least one road block along the way. You will need to be able to go off-road and I do not mean thru some suburban yards.

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    This is a BOV. However it doesn't rival the CUCV
    (sidenote: ripped off the ugly red trim after this photo was taken)
    jeep.jpg

How my jeep normally looks until it rains:
    jeep1.jpg

ghunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    nap-town
    There was no option on the poll for my ultimate bad ass '92 Road Master Wagon, but that's what I'll be rockin' when it all comes apart.

Top Bottom