• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Appleseed Rifle?

• Total voters

nox

Sharpshooter
    Aug 13, 2009
    TX->IL->IN->MO->IN
    I pick the Savage. Gives you something else to do besides shoot on those slow, rapid fire stages.
    Seriously I would recommend you bring what you prefer. There really is no reason to build up a rifle for Appleseed, that is not what it is about. Just come and have fun you will learn no matter what you are shooting.
    I understand that, I just want to make sure I have the best tool to get the most out of it.

Now I'll just have to keep an eye on the schedules... Missouri doesn't have a information source as good as this one.

hawkhavn

Sharpshooter
    Apr 2, 2008
    SE Idaho
    Nox,

Keep an eye on the Illinois Appleseed schedule as well. The southern half of the state is exploding with new ranges this year.

HH

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I understand that, I just want to make sure I have the best tool to get the most out of it.

Now I'll just have to keep an eye on the schedules... Missouri doesn't have a information source as good as this one.

The oval in my signature is a link to the schedule page. You can choose which state you want to look at from there. :)

Brown

Sharpshooter
    May 27, 2009
    Brownsburg
    If you are going the route of building up a LTR dont overlook the Marlin 795. Sometimes you can get them at Dicks sporting for $99 after rebates, add a $15 sling, and a set of tech sites for $70 or a 4X22 scope for $50. Add in the sling swivels for $15 and a bulk pack from wally world for $12 and you have a very good rimfire set up for under $200!!

buckstopshere

Master
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    10/22 for sure ONLY because you don't have one and it's a great excuse to go buy one.

Edit I just remembered that at CabellasI in Hammond, they had a mossburg 702 plinkster semi auto for sale for $99. Black synthetic stock, iron sights. If funds are tight, that would be a good Appleseed option.

Last edited:

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I completed my Appleseed rifle: Houge Stock, Power Custom (Mag Release, Extractor, Target Hammer), Shooters Ridge Bull Barrel, and Simmons Scope (came with my Savage MK II).

appleruger.JPG

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    As long as you are comfortable with the Savage, I would stick with it. I shot Rifleman at my first 'Seed with mine. You need to be able to cycle the bolt without coming off the stock and losing your sight picture. Even with my bolt action, I was usually the first or second shooter to finish a string of fire (a good indicator I wasn't doing proper follow-through). Have fun and I look forward to hearing how it goes.

ThrottleJockey, if you like the Model 60, check out the 795. It's built on the same action, but magazine fed. At $100 after rebate, they're hard to beat.

I have a personal grudge against the 10/22, but bought a used one with Tech Sights to use as a loaner rifle. YHJ was kind enough to force me to shoot a demo AQT with it. I had never fired a single round through it before the demo. I hadn't a chance to check the zero on it; I really had no idea at what range the previous owner had zeroed it. I shot my best score ever with it. As has already been said, we teach the Rifleman, not the rifle.

threetenbingo

Plinker
    Nov 15, 2011
    ARs don't have an advantage in reloading speed over an SKS, particularly in the seated or prone positions. A good rifleman can work an SKS as fast or faster. Seen it I tell ya. (the operator WAS a Rifleman)

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    ARs don't have an advantage in reloading speed over an SKS, particularly in the seated or prone positions. A good rifleman can work an SKS as fast or faster. Seen it I tell ya. (the operator WAS a Rifleman)

This is true for an Appleseed where you never need more than 10 rounds loaded. If you ever need to shoot more than 10 round strings, the AR is going to be a lot faster due to the use of 30 round mags. Recoil is lower an an AR I think and you could shoot steel cased ammo that costs the same as what you will have to feed the SKS.

threetenbingo

Plinker
    Nov 15, 2011
    To drop in the stripper clip and rack the bolt on an SKS is a mere span of time when compared to the forever it takes to push a mag into an AR, break your cheek weld to pull the charging handle or break your npoa to move your left hand back to the bolt release, then get back onto your target, check your npoa and start taking accurate shots at 300 yards. Maybe the AR has an advantage when you are in a pistol pit but when it comes to reloading and getting back on a target 300 yards away at Red Brush a good rifle man is as fast or faster with an sks.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    What about a CZ 452(? ) for an Appleseed

Every 'seed I have been to I have used my CZ452. It is the perfect rimfire.:D

You WILL learn how to run the bolt! BUT, if you are shooting in cadence, there will be no problem keeping up with the autos. Instead of "bang. breathe. bang.", it is "bangbreathecyclebang."

Future Appleseeders! Do NOT make it a gear race! It will do you no good to show up with a Kidd rifle and lean on it instead of the great instruction; my brother qualified at his first 'seed with a 50+ year old Glenfield bolt rifle with the stock trigger, original 3x scope, factory trigger, and ONE seven round magazine. Not a "low" qual. either; 232, IIRC.

But yeah, the CZ kicked his butt. . . :D:D;):laugh:

TAKE THE BOLT RIFLE!

Pitmaster

Expert
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    There are 2 CZ's for sale with a difference in price of about $300. I've just started my research and looking for a rifle to buy for my first Appleseed in July. I'm the liaison for our club and arranging details to host our first of what I hope are annual Appleseeds. I'm not familiar with .22 semi autos and my desire is to get the simplest one I can. I have a Henry Golden Boy and can use it but I really would like to avoid using it because of the lever action. I would prefer to have it for backup. I think I would prefer a 10/22 but I guess I need to head over to Midwest Gun Exchange and fondle for an afternoon.:D

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Every 'seed I have been to I have used my CZ452. It is the perfect rimfire.:D

You WILL learn how to run the bolt! BUT, if you are shooting in cadence, there will be no problem keeping up with the autos. Instead of "bang. breathe. bang.", it is "bangbreathecyclebang."

Future Appleseeders! Do NOT make it a gear race! It will do you no good to show up with a Kidd rifle and lean on it instead of the great instruction; my brother qualified at his first 'seed with a 50+ year old Glenfield bolt rifle with the stock trigger, original 3x scope, factory trigger, and ONE seven round magazine. Not a "low" qual. either; 232, IIRC.

But yeah, the CZ kicked his butt. . . :D:D;):laugh:

TAKE THE BOLT RIFLE!

I've seen this Rifleman in action with the CZ. DO NOT DOUBT THE BOLT GUN!!!!

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

But I have to admit, of the three of my rifles I have shot during
    'seeds (AR, 10/22, and 795) my favorite is my 795. By far the cheapest rifle I have.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    To drop in the stripper clip and rack the bolt on an SKS is a mere span of time when compared to the forever it takes to push a mag into an AR, break your cheek weld to pull the charging handle or break your npoa to move your left hand back to the bolt release, then get back onto your target, check your npoa and start taking accurate shots at 300 yards. Maybe the AR has an advantage when you are in a pistol pit but when it comes to reloading and getting back on a target 300 yards away at Red Brush a good rifle man is as fast or faster with an sks.

:n00b: the entire AR platform is designed to keep the weapon in your shoulder, cheek in place and eyes on target while performing a hasty reload with your left hand, run the mag dry, press the button, slap a mag in, slap the release....we train regularly for it.....if you honestly think it's faster for an sks user to reload faster than an AR user....I would LOVE to see a you tube video proving this.....in all of my experience, I have yet to see anyone (who knows what they're doing) be able to reload an sks faster than a simple mag exchange on an AR in ANY comparible fashion:rolleyes:...............................

additionally, for mere marksmanship purposes you may be able to load one reasonably fast, but using the weapons for their designed intentions (combat)...I doubt I'll see anyone wanting to take the weapon out of the shoulder and off its target to have to reload in the middle of a fire fight....hence, enter the AR design

Clay

Grandmaster
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    First seed? 10/22 or comparable 10 round mag fed semi auto.

but there are some seed specific 10/22 items out there that would push me towards the 10/22

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    :n00b: the entire AR platform is designed to keep the weapon in your shoulder, cheek in place and eyes on target while performing a hasty reload with your left hand...

That's exactly his point. For a righty, your left hand will be slung up snug supporting the rifle in seated (stage 2 - 200 yd. targets) or prone position (stage 3 - 300 yd. targets) during the rapid fire transition stages of the AQT which both require mag changes.

In order to maintain position and save time, the reload is generally done with the trigger hand.

Appleseed is not CQC training, it is classic military based field positional marksmanship.

Top Bottom