• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • splunkinoob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Hey all,

I'm looking to pick up a Remington 700 in .308, I'm looking for a good shooter out to 400 yards. I'm thinking .308 is a good caliber for this. I like the 700 platform and I have a .22-250 in the ADL model. I see that the ADL model is no longer available, what replaced it?

The gun will not be used for hunting, it is going to be strictly a range gun rocking a bipod.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    The SPS tactical in .308 would be a great setup for what you are looking for. A heavy, short barrel is used on this model and it has received many great reviews. There are a few members on here that have this model.

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    The SPS tactical in .308 would be a great setup for what you are looking for. A heavy, short barrel is used on this model and it has received many great reviews. There are a few members on here that have this model.
    Sounds good. I have the SPS varminter in .223. I wish I had gotten .308. I have the VTR in .308. I love the way it looks, but other than that I don't see any advantage over the SPS tactical.

Root

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    I have a 700 tactical in .308. I like it alot. I don't know what's really tactical about it other than the price ;). I like the shorter 20" barrel. The jury is still out on the Hogue stock though. I like the feel of it in my hands but I'm not sure about the feel of shooting it with that stock. It is rigid inside and free floated. I'm just learning to shoot it and having a good time. You are welcome to shoot mine.

standeford

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If I were going to run a bipod I'd want a stock with a stiffer foreend than can be had from Remington's usual stuff. I'd get the SPS and a McMillan or Manners or similar.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I hear a lot of people going with the SPS Tactical, for the 20" barrel and "upgraded" stock, even then most change the stock. I have the SPS Varmint, and while I haven't shot it yet, I am about 90% sure I will change out the stock eventually. The XCR seems to be a good buy as well, although I haven't seen one "in the wild" yet. Whatever you do stay away from the VTR (triangle barrel) because all reports say it shoots like crap, and heats up way too quick.

And to answer your other question, I think the SPS DM took the place of the ADL.

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    The only complaint I had with my SPS varmint rifles were the stocks. You can tell when you remove them just how little support they offer. But for a little bit of money I changed them both out for Bell & Carlson tactical stocks which are much more solid.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington

I second that emotion

IMG_5337.jpg

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Tyler thats a great looking rifle. Whenever my scope comes in I'm going to head down to muncie to meet up with Root. You should try to make the trip up!

splunkinoob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Hey I really appreciate the posts and comments. I think I will be getting the SPS. A setup like Tyler has is what I am going to be building.

Thanks again

SWAT-DOC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Stick with the 26 inch barrel...you will loose foot pounds and resultant velocity with the 20 inch. The powder does not burn completely before the bullet exits. I have seen accuracy suffer with the 20's out to 500 yards. If you want less than a minute of angel out to 500 yards stick with the 26".

DOC

Memphis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2009
    North Central Indiana
    I have been looking at the entire Remington 700 family trying to decide which one is for me. What it all comes down to is how much $$ you want to spend. I like the SPS Varmit because the price is right and if you want to change out the stock later you haven't blown all your cash on the original rifle. The VTR is very nice but a little more money is involved.
    I will probably get the Varmit in .308 and change out the stock.

buckfever34

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 16, 2009
    Jackson County, IN
    The VS series is no longer made. They do still make some of the VSSFs. The ADL line was replaced with the SPS line. The SPS-V (Varmint) is the heavy barreled version. The stocks on these guns are junk.

The SPS-T (Tactical) is the 20" HB version with the Hogue stock. This stock is nice and nearly indestructible but not as rigid as it needs to be to keep the bbl floated. Of course you can go with the PSS or LTR with HS Precision stocks, but then you get into a lot more money.

I would suggest getting a SPS Tactical and shoot it. If it makes you happy, leave it alone. If you want a little more out of it, replace the stock. You don't need a bbl longer than 20" unless you are wanting to go out to beyond 600 yds (IMO).

Top Bottom