• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which platform do you prefer: AR or AK?

• Total voters

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    With an AR, you know where it's made, you roughly know what kind of people put it together and whether they pay attention to detail.

With an AK, it's a crap shoot on whether you get a money pit or whether you get a decent one. Dollar for dollar, an AK that is as trust worthy as an AR is going to run the same price or more.

I'd trust my AR15 over any AK, for any situation. My saiga 308 has been flawless since converting it, but I'd still opt for the AR15 as a general purpose rifle, and for home defense.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    Dollar for dollar, an AK that is as trust worthy as an AR is going to run the same price or more.

I own one SGL-21 series rifle and one complete BCM AR platform. Irons only, I paid 600$ for the SGL and 900$ for the BCM. American parts, not one problem with either 1500+ rounds through each.

Surplus ammo for the AK platform is what, 100$/500rds, and 160$/500rds in 5.56? I consider that a HUGE difference. If your rifles are just going to sit in the safe then yes, I would agree the cost is nearly the same.

Unless you decide to shoot them.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    AR is a peacetime design, had some growing pains, but it's good in everything but fine sand now. I don't expect to be in fine sand. It takes more pampering, but in support and supply it's what I'd take. Only real problem I've had is one fouled chamber, still figure I can fix it. AK is essentially a wartime design and can suffer a lot of abuse before it pukes and dies. When my ARs have gone tango uniform I have an AK. Its problems have been the trigger pin popping out of the receiver when fired left handed, and about 3% FTF on the scroungy norinco ammunition I've used.

If your trigger pin is popping out, I'd bet your retaining spring is mounted incorrectly. A retaining plate would solve that problem.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I own one SGL-21 series rifle and one complete BCM AR platform. Irons only, I paid 600$ for the SGL and 900$ for the BCM. American parts, not one problem with either 1500+ rounds through each.

Surplus ammo for the AK platform is what, 100$/500rds, and 160$/500rds in 5.56? I consider that a HUGE difference. If your rifles are just going to sit in the safe then yes, I would agree the cost is nearly the same.

Well, after you shoot up that $100 worth of AK ammo, you are left with a pile of 2 cents worth of scrap pot metal. After I shoot that $160 worth of 5.56, I'm left with a pile of brass that can be turned into another 500 rounds for about $60, mulitply that by at least 4 more shootings. Starts to even out eh? Then again, there is the 5.56 Russian import fodder which isn't much higher than AK.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    Well, after you shoot up that $100 worth of AK ammo, you are left with a pile of 2 cents worth of scrap pot metal. After I shoot that $160 worth of 5.56, I'm left with a pile of brass that can be turned into another 500 rounds for about $60, mulitply that by at least 4 more shootings. Starts to even out eh? Then again, there is the 5.56 Russian import fodder which isn't much higher than AK.

Truth. I didn't consider reloading. I guess one could run imported steel 5.56 just as well with a nice platform.

Mad Anthony Wayne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    NE central Indiana
    I've owned all three and my favorite (go ahead with the abuse. lol) is my Romanian SKS in a cbrps bullpup stock with Tapco 20 round mags and the cbrps mag adapter. It feeds reliably, is built to be a semi auto, has the drag through the mud reliably and slightly better accuracy than the AK, hits harder than the AR, and is the easiest rifle ever to clear a jam in. Pull the bolt back, tip it, let go and start firing. Just MHO.

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood

Your pricing is a little off currently. An SGL21 will run around $750 if you get a good deal and Palmetto is selling ARs for $600. If you shop around you can build a hammer forged Palmetto for under $700.

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    Hate to burst your bubble, but the AK has the Mosin beat when it comes to body count. It's the most widely produced, and used by more standing armies then any other rifle.

The Mosin, Mauser, and Brit .303 were used in two World Wars. I doubt the AK has any of them beat in total kills although I bet the Mauser has far more kills than the Mosin.

Top Bottom