Which physical size of handgun should i carry?-Do i lose anything with a subcompact?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IN_Varmntr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    DeKalb County
    But if Jack Bauer can draw his weapon, first 2 shots into the chest of an assailant, watch him drop, and move on to deal the next assailant 2 more, why can't I? :laugh:

In all seriousness though, I can understand how adrenaline effects the body and would cause someone to either consciously or subconsciously fire until empty at an assailant. But all those bullets that missed the target have to go somewhere, and it would be very difficult for anyone to live with themselves if they inadvertantly (sp?) shot and killed an innocent bystander.

That's just how I see the subject. ;)

Anywho, I gotta get ready for work. Have a good one guys.

Volunteer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indy Castleton
    IMHO I have read a lot over the years about this topic and of course became more confused with the variety of opinions and data. My personal experience has been that I don't like trying to conceal a large heavy pistol. I finally settled in the past on an alloy framed intermediate sized Star PD 45 ACP. I had to retire the gun once I could no longer find the shock buffers and my last one fragmented. I now carry an XD 45C and find the profile a bit larger than I like best. Everyone is different in these decisions just like in a choice of your preferred car and most of us I suspect have migrated from one arm to the next if they have carried more than a decade or two. I'm sure one day someone will market a pistol that I come to love as much as that old Star PD.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    IMHO I have read a lot over the years about this topic and of course became more confused with the variety of opinions and data. My personal experience has been that I don't like trying to conceal a large heavy pistol. I finally settled in the past on an alloy framed intermediate sized Star PD 45 ACP. I had to retire the gun once I could no longer find the shock buffers and my last one fragmented. I now carry an XD 45C and find the profile a bit larger than I like best. Everyone is different in these decisions just like in a choice of your preferred car and most of us I suspect have migrated from one arm to the next if they have carried more than a decade or two. I'm sure one day someone will market a pistol that I come to love as much as that old Star PD.

If you've still got that Star, Wilson recoil buffers for a 1911 are reputed to work just fine. Do a Google search, and see what you find. I had bought the buffers, but never got to try them out before I traded my Star. It was a nice carrying gun.

INRanger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2009
    IMHO carry something you can fight with. Yeah yeah, "99.99% of all gun fights are at point blank range and over in 3-5rnd blah blah blah." carry for the other .01% and your gonna be fine for all the other stuff too. That being said I dont walk around with an HK Mk-23 strapped to my thigh so it doesn't get in the way of my RACK and M-4. I generally carry a P226 or a P239 and a couple of extra mags. Too small to manipulate during a adrenal dump is worse than to large to conceal well.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I apologize if you feel I was out of line with my discussion, but I was merely adding my thoughts as did everyone else and continuing the discussion.

As RealtorWhoCarries stated, I read too much into Glockster's post. I apologize as I didn't mean to be an ass.
    To have the spine and sack to be humble goes a long way in my book..Thanks for hanging in there...

Jay, thanks for the words. No worries on the hijacking, just give me a Speedway gas card. That should get me back on track uninterrupted.

Last edited:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    If you need 20, and you are actually getting hits, cold hard reality is that you are extremely likely to not survive. Unless those 20 are coming from 3 or 4 people.

Lot's of bad guys these days don't always travel alone. With the influx of groups like MS-13 and other gangs moving into our area all the time, I want to have as many rounds available to me as I can.

How many of us have ten round mags for our AR's? Every single one of mine is a 30 rounder.

INRanger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2009
    Hickmans right. I've been someplaces and thrown some rounds. No matter the level of training you posses the fact is when the stress is on misses happen. I can think of one time in particular that I missed so spectacularly that anyone here would laugh someone off the range if it happened at the gun club. Thank god I wasn't issued a musket. Im well trained and I can shoot but Ill take all the rounds you can stuff into a bang stick. If you don't have at least one good story you'll never tell you need to shoot more.

Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Hickmans right. I've been someplaces and thrown some rounds. No matter the level of training you posses the fact is when the stress is on misses happen. I can think of one time in particular that I missed so spectacularly that anyone here would laugh someone off the range if it happened at the gun club. Thank god I wasn't issued a musket. Im well trained and I can shoot but Ill take all the rounds you can stuff into a bang stick. If you don't have at least one good story you'll never tell you need to shoot more.

BRAVO! +10,000 High cap rules!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    Coming in a bit late to this discussion, but I'll add my thoughts...

My rule has always been carry the largest caliber you're comfortable shooting, out of the largest size frame you're comfortable carrying.

In handguns, its generally accepted that larger calibers do more damage...well, that gets a little hinky when dealing with higher velocity rounds like the .357 Magnum, but its a good rule in general.

IMHO, the very best thing you can do with a carry gun is try it before you buy it, if at all possible. You can go out and buy the most highly recommended gun you hear about, but if you get it to the range and hate it, and you'll be a lot less likely to have it when you need it or be adequately familiar with it to use it effectively. Subcompacts, depending on caliber and manufacturer, are generally NOT pleasant to shoot, but if you want to carry one its highly recommended that you spend a lot of time practicing with it. If it hurts to shoot, you'll be less inclined to do so.

I personally prefer a full size pistol, and while its not always the most comfortable to carry, for a big guy like me its not difficult to conceal. I like the extra magazine capacity and longer sight radius, so I deal with the occasional discomfort. YMMV

Top Bottom