Which physical size of handgun should i carry?-Do i lose anything with a subcompact?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I don't think Glockster is implying that having 15 rounds on tap makes up for poor marksmanship-- but simply saying that if you can be a good shot with 6 rounds, you'll be that same good shot with 15 rounds; and you can continue to stay in the fight longer without taking a "breath" (reload).

Fights are dynamic and evolve quickly. You may need 3 rounds, you may need 20. The quickest reload is already having the rounds in your gun.

If you need 20, and you are actually getting hits, cold hard reality is that you are extremely likely to not survive. Unless those 20 are coming from 3 or 4 people.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    The one and only gun fight I ever had, I was carrying a gun with only six rounds on board. I'm here, he's not.

I'd love to see a thread where this is expanded on. (maybe there is and I haven't seen it? :dunno:)

If its not for sharing, I completely understand that as well.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    What if those 20 are going to 3 or 4 people?

Same story. I'm certainly not saying give up, but I don't actively plan for a confrontation with more than 2-3 people. Once Cathy has her Indiana permit, and has acquired more training than I'm willing to give her, perhaps I'll be a bit more optimistic. At least I'll be more free to fire and maneuver if I need to, while she protects herself and the boy.

In the meantime, I'm comfortable with the two 10 round magazines I have for my Beretta. Not to say I'm not going to be adding a couple 15 rounders and carrying them instead, but I was was comfortable with my revolver also. With the revolvers, I carry 18-30 rounds, depending on how much crap I wanted on my belt and in my pockets, but I think a situation with six rounds in the gun and multiple assailants is as survivable with a revolver as it is with my M92.

I think the issue that I, and others, have with SOME people and their hi-cap magazines is that they are, in fact, using the extra ammo in place of marksmanship. This is counterproductive to their own survival, not to mention the survival of innocents around them.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I think the issue that I, and others, have with SOME people and their hi-cap magazines is that they are, in fact, using the extra ammo in place of marksmanship. This is counterproductive to their own survival, not to mention the survival of innocents around them.

Agreed 100%! :yesway:

And wait. . . . . did you say Beretta? Are you sure you're Joe Williams and not some impostor? I'm pretty sure the Joe Williams here on INGO is a revolver man! :D I've got pics to prove it!

I guess we still couldn't talk you into the "fantastic plastic" though . . .

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Agreed 100%! :yesway:

And wait. . . . . did you say Beretta? Are you sure you're Joe Williams and not some impostor? I'm pretty sure the Joe Williams here on INGO is a revolver man! :D I've got pics to prove it!

I guess we still couldn't talk you into the "fantastic plastic" though . . .

Sigh... I have abandoned the fold LOL. There is one semi-auto I like better than revolvers, and it's the M92FS. Found a great one right here on INGO :) Actually, I like the XDs, M&Ps, and the Glock 19, but not as much as revolvers. I really like either a heavy double action trigger for the first shot, and the DA/SA pull is no issue for me, or a manual safety. Just a personal quirk of mine.

Here's my Beretta story :D : https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/31013-beretta_m92fs.html

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Reminds me of the after action report by the NYPD from a few years ago...... over 100 rounds fired, but nobody was injured.........

Capacity is worthless unless you can first hit your target.

6 hits beats the hell out of 16 misses....... of course that's just my opinion.
    What makes you think i can't place all 16? Stand back

IN_Varmntr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    DeKalb County
    Agreed. And 6 hits will be much more likely when you have 15 tries...;)

And the other 9 rounds that miss your intended target? Where will they go? Into the chest or the head of the clerk behind the counter of the store that the gunman is holding up? Into the innocent people that are scattering trying to get away from the two guys who have weapons?

People who carry for protection should train for all types of issues. All 15 of those rounds are nothing if your gun jams after 2 or 3. Better have trained well enough to quickly clear the gun and reload it.

Higher capacity doesn't make up for **** poor preparation and performance.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Sounds like you want the maximum of everything. Your not going to get lots of powerfull rounds in a compact pistol. Phisicaly impossible. You have a choice between lots of small rounds or a few large ones.

The second thing you need to realize is that your talking about a compact pistol. Pistol rounds are not good stoppers to begin with; all of the common pistol calibers loose some velocity from those short tubes. 9mm, 40, 45, all lose some velocity.

Long story short, you need to stop worrying about caliber and barrel length and learn how to place your rounds accurately; A .32 pocket pistol that you can shoot well is a better defensive choice than a 45 you cant.

IN_Varmntr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    DeKalb County
    Long story short, you need to stop worrying about caliber and barrel length and learn how to place your rounds accurately; A .32 pocket pistol that you can shoot well is a better defensive choice than a 45 you cant.

Exactly. The biggest caliber and the highest capacities don't make up for lack of training.

Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Higher capacity doesn't make up for **** poor preparation and performance.

No ****, Sherlock. Apparently you are like most other posters here. You are so experienced and so well and continuously trained, that when that sunami of adrenline hits you in the heat of the moment, you superhumanly shrug it off, default to your training, cooly and calmy drop your adversary with one shot. Bravo!

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Sorry, my original post here would have accomplished nothing, other than to illustrate my ability to be a smartass..... enough of that as is......

Last edited:

IN_Varmntr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    DeKalb County
    No ****, Sherlock. Apparently you are like most other posters here. You are so experienced and so well and continuously trained, that when that sunami of adrenline hits you in the heat of the moment, you superhumanly shrug it off, default to your training, cooly and calmy drop your adversary with one shot. Bravo!

Well good, I'm glad you understand and agree with my statement.

Now, I'd like for you to find and quote where I stated that I am "so experienced and so well and continously trained". Good luck with that. Nowhere did I say anything of that nature, and all I can do is my best to train for such a situation.

All that anyone can do is train their best when it comes to them carrying a weapon. As LTCH holders, we owe it to everyone around us in public to do so to ensure the safety of bystanders in the event that something causes us to use our weapons. Statements like "6 hits will be much more likely when you have 15 tries" are, in my eyes, irresponsible and stupid.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Well good, I'm glad you understand and agree with my statement.

Now, I'd like for you to find and quote where I stated that I am "so experienced and so well and continously trained". Good luck with that. Nowhere did I say anything of that nature, and all I can do is my best to train for such a situation.

All that anyone can do is train their best when it comes to them carrying a weapon. As LTCH holders, we owe it to everyone around us in public to do so to ensure the safety of bystanders in the event that something causes us to use our weapons. Statements like "6 hits will be much more likely when you have 15 tries" are, in my eyes, irresponsible and stupid.
    You're reading too much into their posts..Show a little grace please or agree to disagree and excuse yourself...thanks to everyone who contributed and thanks to everyone who checked the strays...

IN_Varmntr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    DeKalb County
    I apologize if you feel I was out of line with my discussion, but I was merely adding my thoughts as did everyone else and continuing the discussion.

As RealtorWhoCarries stated, I read too much into Glockster's post. I apologize as I didn't mean to be an ass.

Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    OK, I'm going to make one more attempt to get back to Realtor's original point of "what size should I carry?". IN Varmntr, of course you and Jay are correct that you have to first hit what you're shooting at. I perhaps falsely assumed that was a given. OK, given that you have to hit what you shoot at, let's think about what is important in a carry weapon. It is my opinion that capacity is not given enough weight in these decisions. I think it is fair to believe that most posters here have at least a decent proficiency with their weapons at the range. But things are dramatically different in a gunfight. Some gunfighting experts have proven that the circumstances surrounding a gunfight cause many shooters to forget their training in the heat of the moment. I see what I believe to be a lot of overconfidence on these type of forums just because someone owns a gun and can hit a 10 ring at the range. They fall in love with having the biggest, baddest cal on their hip but don't really understand what happens in a gunfight. I will admit I've never been in one and hope to never be. So, I have researched the topic extensively to see what the real experts (not to be found in these forums) have to say. I openly admit that I have been very influenced by Gabe Suarez who, love him or hate him, is a very experienced gunfighting trainer. I have posted this before in similar threads so forgive me if you've seen this before. But for someone like Realtor, who is genuinely trying to get good information prior to making a purchase decision, I think this is important information from a reliable source. Please take the time to read it if you haven't seen it.

Gabe Suarez: Caliber with high magazine capacity! - Glock Talk

Last edited:

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    You have expressed your opinion to Realtor. You most likely will not convert those who have not already agreed with you to share your opinion.

Your research is a valid basis for forming an opinion, Certainly there is some overconfidence..... SOME..... Do not allow your research-based opinions to cause you to discount other opinions that are based on experience. Some folks on this board have been where you truly do not want to go.

SNIPER WORLD: Scherer Extended Magazine for Glock 9MM, Black, 33-rd c

Boy, gee, I wish I had these for my 1911's.......

Realtor, If I have contributed to hijacking this thread, apologies. Best of luck in your quest.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom