• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    they are handguns and are way more accurate than any semiauto or revolver out there.

That is EXACTLY why i excluded them. Save for POSSIBLY, MAYBE Freedom Arms, no other handgun can hold a candle to these guns in accuracy. They are on another level. That's why i want to know what OTHER gun you would pick for this challenge. I think most of us would use a Silhouette gun for this(if we had one) because they're made for it. However, it's only a challenge if you're using a gun a little out of it's element.

I don't think any of your friends are going to bet that you cant hit a 500 yard silhouette when you move it in to 200 yards. This is a friendly wager. What gun would you use when your having fun with friends?

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    feel free to post pics of your silhouette guns, i'm very interested in getting into, just probably a little closer to production, and my wallet says it sure won't be a Freedom Arms.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    So a freind says "Hey i bet you can't hit this 12" round gong at 100, 150 or 200 yards with a handgun." You say, "Oh yes i can!"

What gun do you reach into your safe and pull out? How often do you expect to hit it? If you pick a single shot, you have to also pick a semi-auto or revolver. I had to throw in 150 and 200 because 100 yards isn't long distance for some handgunners. Just take your pick.

Out to 100 yards, I'd shoot a Single Six .22 6.5" barrel. Past that, i'd probably take my chances with a .357 4" GP100. With either at 100 yards, i'd expect 4 of 6 hits. But 3 of six is more likely. I'd probably be excited for 1 hit of 6 at 200 without any sighting shots.

Whacha'll got?

12" at 100 yards? I admit my 22LR weren't the first to come to mind but yeah, I think once I was sighted in for that distance I could hit it every time with my Mark II provided steady or no wind if I could use a rest or stick to shoot off.

Standing shooting with one hand, I could probably hit it 3 or 4 times. with that gun at 100 yards.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I'm thinking about getting a more appropriate gun for a long shot. I think i want a revolver, but a TC would be more accurate and about the same money. It would probably also shoot more expensive ammo.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    I saw Integraholic do it!

At the risk of inflating his ego beyond all reason...I will testify that I witnessed Integraholic hit a plastic 5 gallon bucket at 206 yards with his 1911 style Kimber. He took a couple of sighting shots and darned if he didn't hit the bucket. He was impossible to be around for the next hour! :rockwoot:

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I'd just use a 1911 out to 100yds, Taurus PT92 to 200yds.

All my handguns at this point are self-defense pieces.

If I could pick anything, I'd go with an older N frame S&W .357mag with either adjustable sights or a pistol 'scope, 6"-8" barrel.

Josh

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I need to try this out myself. I'd prob either go with my H&R 5.5" barrelled 22 win mag revolver, or my taurus 608 6.5" heavy lug, ported barrelled 357 mag. If I thought it'd be accurate enough I'd try out my CZ-52 with the new 223 timbs rounds I have. I already knwo I cant hit with my G30 that far, lol

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    We used to walk over to the rifle range just to screw with the old guys who thought all of us IPSC speed shooters were nuts. They had steel rams hung on chains at 200 and 300 meters. They stopped laughing when we'd ring those rams. One of our guys could ring it pretty regular with a 1911. My current long range tool is a Ruger Bisley in .41 Mag. What fun!

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I'm really considering getting a new ruger black hawk in .44 mag 5.5" for just this sort of thing. Just don't know how much work it will take to be consistant enough and if that puts me right into BFR or even freedom arms territory. any recomendations are appreciated.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    The Blackhawk (probably super Blackhawk in 44 mag) will do the job but why the 5.5" barrel? The 7.5
    " would give you a longer sight radias and absorb some of the recoil. The Freedom Arms is a fine piece of revolver but is much more expensive than the Ruger. I wish I could afford one. The BFR is much larger than either the Ruger or Freedom Arms. Not really handy to carry in a holster. More of a novelty or specialty item. I have 2 Super Blackhawks in 7 1/2" and both are very accurate at longe range. The Super Blackhawk Hunter has a build in Weaver rail and comes with rings. You can remove and replace a scope without loosing zero. I think the Hunter is a best buy for the features. My other Super Blackhawk is an older model that has been completely reworked by MagNaPort. In addition to the double porting, it has a slicked up action, reverse crown muzzle, new sights, recut forcing cone, precision chamber alignment and a custom finish. It's a slick shooter but the stock Hunter is almost as good.
    NewPictures12-08008.jpg

NewPictures12-08022.jpg

I recommend MagNa Port for action work and modification of Blackhawks.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I don't have a good reason for the 5.5 vs 7.5, besides lighter weight/easier carry and aesthetics. Also, if you aim by moving the front sight in relation to the rear(as i'd prefer to so i always see the target and don't aim above it), you can get more loft from the shorter sight radius.

Do you think the SBH NEEDS work before it is ready for consistent shots like this?

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    No, most SBH work just fine out of the box. If you want a lighter trigger, you can just unhook one side of the little hairpin spring that is the trigger return. Cuts the trigger pull in half instantly and can be easily returned any time you want. Just like any other well made gun, some skilled hand work just makes them all that much better.

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    Wow, old thread, back from the dead.

Hell, I'll play though. You said my safe, but since my dad and I share the same safe, I claim his S&W 29. I know for a fact that I can make 200 yard hits on paper plates with it, unsupported.

Top Bottom