• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • latham17

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2010
    indy
    would it impress you if i ground down a piece of steel and pried apart a pallet with it then posted it on youtube? come on man, its simple physics. the kabar is capable of applying more force than the little knife you are talking about, its inarguable. No, i didn't miss that knife breaking a cinder block, wow, I'm pretty sure I could take an old screwdriver and accomplish the same thing! I'm sure the DB frame is great for LEO and military but the post is referring to a bug out bag. Oh and as far as cubby educating me that didn't happen, i have a metallurgical background so i doubt any of you are going to educate me on anything having to do with metals. you guys are clearly stuck on this little knife and wont listen to anyone else's opinions so have fun prying yourself out of downed helicopters with your little knife! i'm out...

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Well, I guess I'll throw in my 2 cents. I recently just changed the knife in my bag, and I went to a knife that I never would have originally intended to use for a BOB. I recently bought a knife that's simple and sturdy, and that's a cold steel true flight thrower. That blade is thick and could be used for prying, light hammering, and with the nice long edge it'd split wood pretty easily. I was surprised that for a thowing knife that it came hair shaving sharp. I think it'd be easy enough to attach it to a stick if I had to since its been drilled for paracord handle to wrap on it. Another thing that I like about the knife is that even though it's a thick blade the overal profile of the blade is very slim and it fits in the pack very easily. It's not the biggest or baddest knife out there, but overall I'm pretty happy with it. The price of it being very low is just a bonus.

Lots of good points brought up though. The Mora is a good knife for what it's meant to be used for.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This quits being fun or educational when people take the discussion of objects and their potential use too personally.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    The point is the SA Strider can work in your bag just as well if not better than other knives. It is all a matter of personal preference and opinion.
    I have seen these Strider knives do some amazing tasks and hold up very well. That must be the reason why they are so darn expensive. :D

DBH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Carmel
    I am planning on adding a Strider HT-T to my bag when I get one. I carry a folder on my person, usually 2, so a small and large fixed blade should take care of all of my cutting needs. I am redundant and believe two is better than one, even if they aren't exactly the same thing.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    would it impress you if i ground down a piece of steel and pried apart a pallet with it then posted it on youtube? come on man, its simple physics. the kabar is capable of applying more force than the little knife you are talking about, its inarguable. No, i didn't miss that knife breaking a cinder block, wow, I'm pretty sure I could take an old screwdriver and accomplish the same thing! I'm sure the DB frame is great for LEO and military but the post is referring to a bug out bag. Oh and as far as cubby educating me that didn't happen, i have a metallurgical background so i doubt any of you are going to educate me on anything having to do with metals. you guys are clearly stuck on this little knife and wont listen to anyone else's opinions so have fun prying yourself out of downed helicopters with your little knife! i'm out...

Adios amigo

gunrunr76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    ft. wayne
    im still a fan of mora knives....spend the extra money you saved and get a kydex sheath made...this is your basic carver, whittler, utility knife...and they are light and cheap so buy 2 of the same and carry one and a reserve in the bag...the ontario machete orange dguard is choice alsocut the dguard off leaving top and bottom and rounding so you have a choil and round off back of handle so it doesnt jab you in your side....wrap with hockey tape for better grip and get a injection molded sheath milspec....tadaaaaa....i like the 18in and i had my knife guy santoku it...you dont have a lot of dollars wrapped up in it and you arent afraid to use it hard to see what the package can do.

gunrunr76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    ft. wayne
    just read comment that serrated knives dont belong in bob....great for making tender, twice as much linear cutting surface, hold their edge twice as long as a plain edge, easier to sharpen than a plain edge and you remove half as much material because you only backbevel and strop.....i dont know about anybody else but all of my serious cutters are serrated.....spyderco

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    nope rhino i have one also :) but if i want i know my knives can take it :) strider db-l ftw hahahaha. and to the above guy talking about serrated edges. if you sharpen your fix blade up right it will hold just as good of edge and do better than serrated. if you only want to back bevel and strop on a straight blade then just get a chisel ground from mr jeremy horton :) here are couple for visual stimulation :) last three on the right. well the mini camp blood isn't chisel ground but still

DSCN0178.jpg

Top Bottom