Which gun designer made the largest contribution to the firearms world?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Greatest weapons designer.

• Total voters

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    I was thinking it would be nice to have ourselves a debate on who is the greatest gun designer and why. Each of these men selected made a huge impact on the world with their designs. So ask you to pick the one you think made the biggest impact in firearms design.

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    I voted for John Browning. 100 years later, the 1911 is still going strong with no signs of letting up.

P.S. I don't own one yet. Shot my first 1911 a sort time ago. Due to the ergonomics, fantastic SA trigger, and history behind them, they are the only ones that truly interest me now.

Last edited:

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I voted Browning because he revolutionized nearly every type of gun. But in reality it was Hirem Maxim who invented the automatic machine gun action, which Browning just improved upon, so maybe Maxim should get more credit.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Wow, what a great thread! It's hard to choose, because some of them made designs that shifted the way wars are fought and others provided designs that not only lasted, but others copied and attempted to improve in some ways. I'm not sure yet, but I will vote.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I would agree with points about Browning but the AK has rulled the world since. One country in Africa even has an AK on their flag. There are great name there and each have their own great contributions. This is one of the better polls.

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    Wow, what a great thread! It's hard to choose, because some of them made designs that shifted the way wars are fought and others provided designs that not only lasted, but others copied and attempted to improve in some ways. I'm not sure yet, but I will vote.

thank you for the kind words. i personally have not voted yet. they all made a huge difference in history. tough call.

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    ok i voted for colt. not only was his designs great, but his company handled the mass production of both stoner and browning designs. if it had not been for his manufacturing company, the 1911 and m16 may not have been mass produced well enough to be adopted by our military.
    just my opinion.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    The poll should be called "greatest US gun designers".
    Besides Kalashnikov and Glock they are all (I think) Americans.
    That's just a small part of gun designers and doesn't include many foreign designers.
    What about George Johann Luger, Benjamin Robins, Claude Minié and many other designers from Europe to Asia.
    All the designers listed are part of modern history, some of them even still alive today.
    I dont think you can call any of them "the greatest", they all changed and created great designs but it's only because the designer before them came up with a great design himself.
    The guy who came up with the musquet, modern ammo, the rifling, the flintlock design and all those things is just as important as the latest designer who created guns that we use today.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I went with browning due to the broad range of weapons that he affected.

This. He made so many improvements and designs that have stood the test of time. How many Mad-Duece's are out there spitting .50 chunks of lead on the battle field right now? How about the BAR? The 1911, the Hi-Power etc.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    I have to go with Kalashnikov. Not because he really revolutionized anything. But simply because of all of the firearms used in the world for military use, rebellion use, major military/civilian kinetic actions, the AK-47 is hands down the most viralitic weapon known to man.

I'm not saying it's better than anything else, which it's not. But truth is, it is the most used firearm in the world right now, beyond the usage rates/numbers of any other firearm in history.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Maxim doesn't get the credit he deserves...

Also, glad to see two different Hoosiers on the list. (one Native, one adopted)

-J-

PINski1015

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2011
    Cyberspace
    Browning. We still use his Machine gun. Kalashnikov in second for the design of a rifle that is incredibly reliable, and can be produced cheaply and in volume.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom