• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • arv99t

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 14, 2009
    Vincennes, Indiana
    I carried a Glock 26 for years and decided to move up to a bigger cal so I moved up to a Glock 36 slim line 45. I thought both guns were great to pack and good shooters. If I had my choice I would go with a 1911 though.

XDs4me

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    NW Indiana
    The glock is good but look at an XD40sc or Xd45c I love the way they fit my hand and shoot compare to my Glocks. As for carrying in the small of your back it is not recommended for many reasons. Your better strong side IWB or OWB and both guns I mention conceal very well.

Crimson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 24, 2008
    Columbus, Indiana
    Find one that fits your hand first. Then go with a caliber you like. I carry a m&p40c. Sweet little gun and shoots great. But I like the 45acp also. But my main carry is IWB and the smith just fits perfect.

exile

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Placement -
    I don't prefer the small of back carry and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. 4:00 is nice though or appendix carry.

Size -
    Carry the biggest gun that you can, with a decent holster I can easily carry a full sized gun with no problem and I'm not a big guy.

Caliber -
    9mm = cheaper + gets the job done, highest capacity.
    .40 = more expensive, the guns wear out quicker, the recoil is snappy, many manufacturers have more problems with their guns in this caliber.
    .45 = just a few more dollars per 100rds compared to .40, the biggest bullet, the lowest capacity.

IMO - .40 offers nothing over a 9mm to make up for the negatives, especially when using proper/state of the art hollow points. Stick with a 9mm/45.

Platform -
    Glocks are great in 9mm
    HKs & the older West German made Sig Sauers are better in .40/.45

INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    I do this. G26 for easy conceal if I am summer dressed or want comfort. G19 with big dots if I am going somewhere I really feel I need higher capacity. G17 for if it hits the fan and though I trust my Glocks, this one is the one! Thousands of rounds and I wouldn't trade it for a NIB G17. I mix between IWB and paddles. All 9mm always.

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    I'm not gonna say which is the better brand to carry, but I will say you need to carry what is comfortable and easily concelable for you!

As to the 40 or 45, that depends alot on you as well. WHich can you control better? Which are you more accurate with? And how many rounds do you acctually need?:dunno:

With the 40 you are going to get the energies of the 45 and higher in some loads and will also have the added velocity, but INHO the higher velocity is just begging for over-penetration.

With the 45 you are going to have high energies at lower velocities but due to the weight and size of the cartridge your capacity in a handgun is going to be less than with a 40.

They way I look at it is with a 45, regardless of whether the bullet expands properly or not, you are leaving a bigger hole!:rockwoot:

But listen to the rest of them about which firearm they suggest. I have seen wonderful suggestions such as the G30SF, Sigs, XD40sub-compact and XD45compact. Depending on where I am going and what I am wearing I generally switch it up between my 1911, XD45compact, XD9sub-comp, and a 38 5-shot Charter.

:twocents:

wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    From

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

Handgun_gel_comparison.jpg

Top Bottom