• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iufan2010

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 18, 2011
    southeast side of indy
    I'm looking to get a nice bolt action to do some target shooting with. Right now I'm limited to 100 yards, but I'll stretch that out when I find the place. The caliber is going to be for sure .308. The rifle options are: SPS Tactical, SPS Varmint, and the VTR.
    I like the Hogue stock on the tactical, but I'm unsure on the barrel length. How easy would it be, assuming one is made, to put a hogue stock on the Varmint model? Thanks in advance to any help.

pierce195

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    New Castle
    The Houge stock my feel nice, but it is not the best stock for precision shooting. Most people that purchase the SPS move to an after market stock down the road. Just something to think about if you go that route.

pierce195

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    New Castle
    There are many quality after market stocks from the M700 (to many to list here). Nothing wrong with getting a M700 SPS Tactical and keeping the Houge stock. If you go over to sniperhide, you can find a lot of info on this topic.

M700 are get guns and you can build it up over time as money became available.

mtgasten

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Greenfield
    i have heard mostly bad things about the VTR, but i honestly don't know i havent had any personal experience with it, if you do plan on going to an after market chassis system (ex. AICS 1.5 Chassis) then i would choose the SPS Tactical version.

iufan2010

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 18, 2011
    southeast side of indy
    Does the 20in barrel on the tactical still have good accuracy? I wouldn't think a 20in barrel would have the same accuracy as a 26in one if I get the chance to start taking 4-500 yard shots. Maybe I'm wrong, that's why I'm here.

pierce195

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    New Castle
    The 20 inch barrel will get you to 500 yards and beyond. I use a stock 700P LTR 308 WIN and have shoot it at 1000 yards. The bullet is running out of steam from my 20 inch barrel at this distance.

mtgasten

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Greenfield
    Does the 20in barrel on the tactical still have good accuracy? I wouldn't think a 20in barrel would have the same accuracy as a 26in one if I get the chance to start taking 4-500 yard shots. Maybe I'm wrong, that's why I'm here.

just saw a guy on youtube shoot at a thousand yards and hit steel with the 20 inch barrel...i think it'll be ok lol

iufan2010

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 18, 2011
    southeast side of indy
    Ya I doubt I'll get the chance to reach out to a 1000 yds so I should be safe lol I'm leaning towards the tactical, what type of scope should I get? Are the Nikon prostaff's good? Optics are definitely my weakest field.

mtgasten

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Greenfield
    Ya I doubt I'll get the chance to reach out to a 1000 yds so I should be safe lol I'm leaning towards the tactical, what type of scope should I get? Are the Nikon prostaff's good? Optics are definitely my weakest field.

same here, i don't know much about scopes, i do here that SWFA has some good scopes, Nikon Monarchs are decent from what i hear, and if you want to get real expensive then Nightforce and USO are right on up there.

pierce195

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    New Castle
    For the money you should take a look at Vortex scopes. I use Leupold at work, but would love to have a Nightforce, just not in my budget.

Good glass does not come cheap. lol

iufan2010

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 18, 2011
    southeast side of indy
    Oh I know that lol I've looked into some options. Thanks to school I don't get to put much into my toys so this will all be a long process to get together. Thanks to my work though, I get discounts on a lot of these products.

mtgasten

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Greenfield
    Oh I know that lol I've looked into some options. Thanks to school I don't get to put much into my toys so this will all be a long process to get together. Thanks to my work though, I get discounts on a lot of these products.

lucky duck lol where do you work? wanna get me a job? haha i work at the zoo currently

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    a common misconseption is that longer barrels are more accuracte. this is only true on iron sighted guns. longer barrels are faster but not more accurate.

your better off skimping on the gun than you are the scope. im a optics dealer and advertise on ingo. give me a call or shoot me a pm and ill walk you into the perfect scope for your use in your budget

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have a 700 PSS in 308 and a 700 SPS Tactical in 223. Both have Leupold glass on them that cost way more than the rifles. Like was previously stated start with a decent rifle and put your money in a good scope and mounts. Of the rifles you mentioned I would select the 700 SPS Tactical. :twocents:

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    a common misconseption is that longer barrels are more accuracte. this is only true on iron sighted guns. longer barrels are faster but not more accurate.

your better off skimping on the gun than you are the scope. im a optics dealer and advertise on ingo. give me a call or shoot me a pm and ill walk you into the perfect scope for your use in your budget

Im new to this whole precision shooting thing as well and am considering a 700 down the road some time.

What do you mean by "faster"?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Im new to this whole precision shooting thing as well and am considering a 700 down the road some time.

What do you mean by "faster"?

the longer the barrel the faster the bullet. a faster bullet drops less, is effected less by the wind (due to the fact its not in the air as long) but a faster bullet is not more accurate.

Top Bottom