• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    Go to a shop that has multiple manufacturers and feel all of them. You have read that they are all good 1911's. Personally, I would like to have one of each!

Yep I cannot agree more.
    Hold each one and dryfire in a blind test. Close your eyes and find the one that sings to you.

Become the gun!

Have your gun guy pick one at random for you to try without preconceptions.
    You might find yourself the perfect gun for you.

That is how I ended up with the PT1911 when I bought mine. I had originally wanted a Kimber with the cammo crimson trace grips.

Sometimes the same MFG and identical guns feel "different" as well. Try em all and make sure they haven't crudded up one trigger to move you into a different price group by "accident". A 1911 and a couple of drops of oil can make a world of dfference if say one gun is bone dry and the other is properly oiled. Just my :twocents::cheers:

Last edited:

AverageMidwest

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fishers
    Got a Rock, it was inexpensive at $319 a few years back. Had some FTF issues and sent it to Rock Island customer service, fixed it and it runs perfectly. Of course the GI model I had didn't fit my needs and I ended up dropping bucks for better sights, bobbed hammer, extended thumb safety...etc etc. Then I got an STI Spartan for about $600 new...functioned flawlessly out of the box, have put maybe 500 rounds though it with no feeding issues of any kind.

That being said....I think if I had it to do over or had the money to spend today, I'd get a Colt. They can be had for 600-800, as someone else said, and there's nothing like the original. Just make sure it's got everything you want when you buy it; those GI sights are awful.

Here's the question. Which 1911 is the most bang for the buck? I plan on getting one in the near future but don't have $1000 to drop. Kind of thinkin about a Rock Island Arms. Thanks.

GaryTX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    I agree with Split, I just bought a Taurus PT1911 with accessory rail for about 600 ish. No complaints from me.

mdroz3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2009
    Walkerton
    Below are pictures of the used Springfield Loaded I picked up. Used, $577 with tax. It has a sweet trigger, too.
    1911A001.jpg

1911A003.jpg
    :wow: that's what i paid for my mil-spec nib after tax. you got a great deal!!!!

AverageMidwest

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fishers
    I LOVE these "which 1911" threads.....so many choices and so many opinions, and all (okay, most) of the opinions are valid. When people get rolling on Glocks, the only questions are "how big" and "what caliber".

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I traded into a Springfield Loaded parkerized that I've really enjoyed. No complaints.

I still want a Smith and Wesson SW1911 in a bad way. The purists hate the external extractor but the users seem to have no problems.

Bang for buck? Probably hard to beat a RIA 1911 Tactical.

ftbstrd

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Yorktown/Muncie

I just picked up a .40 cal Para Ordnance P16.40 for under $500 and it is sweet! I wanted a .45 but couldn't find one any where locally! I had a Kimber stainless II ant it was the best hand gun I have ever owned! I too have an XD 45 Tactical and I love everything but the long pull! The XD goes next to help fund a 1911 in .45 cal!

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    A guy I work with has two Taurus PT1911's. He said for the price, and the stock features they are well worth the money. I'm thinking down the road of getting a Springfield GI model. I have heard really good things about them. Infact a local shop has one for just over $500.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I'd like to get a Taurus and a Springfield to go with my Rock Island and Para. $520 including tax is the cheapest ive seen the Springfields sold at local gun stores, try to talk down a few dollars then buy it!

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    rock island will fire pretty much anything and are pretty accurate. but as mentioned above don't skip over the sti's for the price they are awesome guns. they shoot everything and have no problems keeping up w/ my kimber custom eclipse accuracy wise

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    ohhh yeah i haven't shot one yet but at his and her target sports in sheridan they have a citadel 1911. its the commander size and he talks really well about them.. it felt really comfortable and solid and looked damn good too. all for 650 sticker price so probably 600 out the door. you can probably google it and find out more about them

Top Bottom