• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vxtip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    West of somewhere
    i was just wondering about this today after deciding to finally stop beating around bush with other pistols and just get a 1911, im leaning towards to RIA, but i dont think i could go wrong with a springfield

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    Well, I'll ask again. What are you going to do with it? If your going to target shoot, there is a gun for that. If you are going to carry concealed then there would be a different recommendation.

I have owned, shot, worked on, duty carried and carry concealed 1911's for 30 years.

I don't want to be just a cheerleader for the particular gun I happened to buy. Hate to be persnickety, but buying the right pistol is an important decision.

Old Salt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Avon
    If you opt for the Springfield, check used guns. I picked up a Loaded Springfield 1911, used, like new, last week at Bradis. Asking $599, negotiated to $539 + tax. Find a nice used gun, you can get it cheaper, and often resell for as much or more than you paid for it.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    One more vote for the Taurus PT 1911 here.
    *Test results for accuracy, results are the average of five, five shot groups at 25yds from a Caldwell HAMMR rest.
    Load Bullet weight (gr) Group size (in)
    Black Hills 185 2.43
    Federal Hydra-Shok 230 1.78
    Hornady JHP/XTP+P 200 2.01
    Winchester USA JHP 230 3.16

*"Taurus claims the PT 1911 is street ready right out of the box. With features, accuracy, and reliability to rival many high-end 1911's, I have to agree."
    Greg Rodriguez
    *Information and quotes taken from August 2009 issue of Guns and Ammo magazine.

I just got it today! The PT 1911 will be my next carry piece!

vxtip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    West of somewhere
    i plan on using the gun for CCW, currently i carry a an XD-45 but im fed up with the long trigger pull. If i ever needed to defend myself with it i'd probably end up firing 13 warning shots :xmad:, i do tons of dry fire practice, gotten a little better but im ready to move on

so i want a 1911 in the 4-500 range, with a decent trigger and ill be happy, i shoot so much better with the 1911's ive used it unbelievable the difference the trigger makes

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    i plan on using the gun for CCW, currently i carry a an XD-45 but im fed up with the long trigger pull. If i ever needed to defend myself with it i'd probably end up firing 13 warning shots :xmad:, i do tons of dry fire practice, gotten a little better but im ready to move on

so i want a 1911 in the 4-500 range, with a decent trigger and ill be happy, i shoot so much better with the 1911's ive used it unbelievable the difference the trigger makes
    The PT 1911 comes with a "custom trigger job" as a standard feature.

mdroz3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2009
    Walkerton
    I am not a big fan of Taurus, so I would lean towards the Springfield Mil-Spec. It is a step up from the GI version, and the features are worth the little extra you will spend. I believe that if you want to customize your 1911(don't we all) that this is the best "base" out there. here is a link to springfields webpage.

Springfield Armory

Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast
    Go handle a few of the lower end 1911's and see which feels best. I have a PT1911, Firestorm and a Colt Defender. I really like the PT1911 best for it's fell and accuracy and I do carry CC and OC. This is the best pistol I have ever shot right out of the box. I shot a friend's ported Springfield 1911 and he shot my PT1911 and now he own's a PT1911.
    But the most important thing is that you get a 1911!!

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I am not a big fan of Taurus, so I would lean towards the Springfield Mil-Spec. It is a step up from the GI version, and the features are worth the little extra you will spend. I believe that if you want to customize your 1911(don't we all) that this is the best "base" out there. here is a link to springfields webpage.

Springfield Armory

This is a good point. Depending on your hand size/shape some of the "up grade" modifications may be necessary. I can't shoot anything resembling GI. The spur hammer and stubby grip safety tears up my hand. (I'm talking bleeding after 30 rounds or so.) So, I have to by a 1911 with a combat hammer and a beaver tail or at least plan for the swap cost. My Gold Cup is my EDC piece and it still has the original duck bill safety which suits me just fine as well. Like anything else if you can shoot several before you buy you will be better off.

beebadd

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    CLARKSVILLE
    I have a metro arms gov model,great for the money 424.00 I hear alot of good about the taurus 1911.Check out there web sight for more info......

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    I've got a RIA Gov. model, love the thing out, the door $425. Zero malfunctions with about 500rds down the pipe.

wmitchell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    Franklin, In
    Thanks for all the replies. This gun would primarily be a carry/practice piece. No comp shooting or severe duty. A stainless Kimber would be the ultimate in my opinion, but expensive and a little to nice to stay in the truck. From the recs. on this thread sounds like a Springfield or Rock Island may be in my futrure.

Kingrat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Evansville
    if you are looking for something a little nicer than a RIA check out what taurus has to offer...a little more expensive...but they have alot more "polish" to em

ria, springfield gi, para gi, or an older used 1911 would all be fine too

Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast
    I have a metro arms gov model,great for the money 424.00 I hear alot of good about the taurus 1911.Check out there web sight for more info......

Left photo is;
    Left one is a Metroarms Firestorm Government DLX Model with Hogue Grips
    Right one is a Taurus PT1911 with custom wood grips.
    I gave $450 for the Firestorm.
    The PT1911 was a part of a trade. Value was around $500.
    The Right Photo is a Colt Defender with Hogue Grips.

I like all three. I shoot all three (all shoot great). I carry all three (usually not at the same time) I do like the sites on the PT1911 best.
    image.php
    :cheers:

m2steven

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2009
    I just got a Smith & Wesson 1911 this past week. It's wonderful. It was about 850.00. I've seen them for 800, and I've seen them for 900.
    Some of the higher-end models go for much more.

The trigger pull on these guns is non-existant. They shoot great. I had no idea how wonderful these pistols were. I've shot the Taurus 1911 and it's a fine piece of work as well. I almost got one but they didn't have the model I wanted (just the blued one and I didn't "feel it" so I got the S&W). The S&W looks about as standard as you can get and that's a good thing.

I pulled the trigger on a few Paras too while shopping, and they feel very good. They have quite the selection of models, most of them reasonable. It was a difficult choice going with what I got.

Old Salt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Avon
    Below are pictures of the used Springfield Loaded I picked up. Used, $577 with tax. It has a sweet trigger, too.
    1911A001.jpg

1911A003.jpg

Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast
    Thanks for all the replies. This gun would primarily be a carry/practice piece. No comp shooting or severe duty. A stainless Kimber would be the ultimate in my opinion, but expensive and a little to nice to stay in the truck. From the recs. on this thread sounds like a Springfield or Rock Island may be in my futrure.

Go to a shop that has multiple manufacturers and feel all of them. You have read that they are all good 1911's. Personally, I would like to have one of each!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom