Where would you shoot a bad guy in self defense?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I'm not comfortable with this as a general rule. There are certain circumstances I might try to engage through concealment such as furniture or curtains, but it doesn't take much imagination to envision a BG engaging around a doorframe with one hand and holding a hostage out of sight with the other. Additionally, ballistics are somewhat unpredictable. I know that a bullet will penetrate drywall in a relatively straight line, but what if it hits a stud or conduit on the way through, or is deflected by an odd grain in a door? As much as can reasonably be expected in a firefight I want to know my target and where the round is going to go before I pull the trigger.

I agree. I have found that even the *premium* JHPs tend to behave oddly when passing through barriers such as doors. Steel or aluminum doors especially tend to cause the rim of the JHP to collapse in on itself, plugging up the HP and turning it into more like a FMJ. They still carry enough energy on the other side to be lethal, but at that point they will not perform on tissue as they were designed to.

ETA: Here are some *premium* rounds that were fired through a windshield and into wetpack...
    45testammo.JPG

I have gotten similar results shooting them through car doors and steel over foam entry doors for the home

Last edited:

Nayls47

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Noble County
    I practice triple tap. 2 in the chest and 1 in the head. I cant say for certain thats what I would do in the heat of the moment, but its what I practice.

:+1: I always practice that way too. But I liked someones two to the chest and repeat untill the threat is on the ground or neutralized. (by neutralized I mean flat lined).

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Many people don't realize how difficult it is to make a worthwhile head shot. Just hitting them in the head isn't good enough, if you don't hit the eyes or sinuses, there is a chance a pistol round will ricochet off their scull.

You are much better served to (as others have said) aim COM. Failure drills are worthwhile too: two shots to COM and then one head shot if its still there (aka they haven't fallen down).

Of course in practice, I imagine you shoot at whatever you can hit.

Vic_Mackey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Beastside
    I would pack JHP's for starters, and follow up by shooting the largest area that the assailant presents. You would be amazed what a Super X JHP would do to someones foot through a shoe or boot lol.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Shoot to the center of mass until the threat is neutralized, 2, 3, or more. Whatever it will take so that he does not level the front sight back on me. Aiming at the head is not an option because an overzealous prosecutor could over read this as a attempted execution instead of self defense.

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    If I had to I would aim for the most probable hit which would be center mass. A head shot would be prime but my odds are better aiming in the center and if your in an area with other people I wouldn't wanna risk a headshot.

Chow40cal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Olympia
    I was taught Center of Mass.
    I was specifically taught NOT to aim at extremities or attempt to wound the attacker. It would imply that you did not believe the attack was life-threatening. If the attack wasn't life-threatening, you had no reason to shoot.

Doug

This is such a valid point. You pull the trigger, you put him down. I realize that it's no laughing matter after taking a life, but you obviously had to defend yourself once. Aiming with the intent to wound is only going to leave room for sharks to pick apart your scenario.

I know from experience, that a wound to an extremity is not going to stop me from my objective. My :twocents:

Steve MI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2008
    lets get this straight its easy to talk about shooting a cardboard target in the head under no stress pressure in good light standing there

now do it in low light them shooting back at you you moving them moving...

as Jeff g once stated the brain box is small armored and moving

shoot till the the threat is over and done burst of rounds into the largest area you can deliver too..... if your firing only a pair you have issue

Buano

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    If it's self-defense to the point where I need a gun I will shoot until he is no longer a threat. If I have ample time & a sure shot I may not have to kill, but unless I'm sure I can protect myself otherwise he's dead. If I have to kill I prefer the brain stem. If I have to shoot fast, the upper chest is the largest target — at least for the first shot.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Two rounds center mass using the tack tack method. Due to this artical a few years ago, the laywer for the Police Dept I served on told us never to say we fired using the "double tap" method. Its starting to be refered to as the technique of wounding/killing your attacker the placing another round into the person to ensure they are dead. Basicly executing a person in which you could be charged with murder. Just a little FYI but still, consult your laywer to see how he wants you to word it if you are ever charged.

Double Tap—Marine Perspective

August 4, 2007 — budsimmons
    A Marine response to a simple question. Regarding the news blurb about the
    Marine who put two rounds (“double tap”) in a wounded insurgent’s head in
    Fallujah, here’s a response from a Marine:
    “It’s a safety issue, pure and simple. After assaulting through a
    target, we put a security round in everybody’s head.

Double Tap—Marine Perspective Thoughts Of A Conservative Christian

Chow40cal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Olympia

August 4, 2007 — budsimmons
    A Marine response to a simple question. Regarding the news blurb about the
    Marine who put two rounds (“double tap”) in a wounded insurgent’s head in
    Fallujah, here’s a response from a Marine:
    “It’s a safety issue, pure and simple. After assaulting through a
    target, we put a security round in everybody’s head.

Double Tap—Marine Perspective Thoughts Of A Conservative Christian

Thats a very good article btw. I would recommend it as required reading for any law of war class, and maybe print it on the insides of the eyelids of any politicians or journalists seeking to bad mouth our military.:patriot:

Top Bottom