• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Battery power tools have lots of quirks when they go bad. Many of them will not be evident when just cycling them or in light usage when purchasing. I have been using them for almost 40 years starting with 7.2 makita and have probably had 8 different platforms. No way would I buy a used one unless it was for pennies on the dollar. I have 18v Milwaukee and they are far less reliable than the 12v Panasonic I had 20 years ago. Buy new and get a warranty.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Battery power tools have lots of quirks when they go bad. Many of them will not be evident when just cycling them or in light usage when purchasing. I have been using them for almost 40 years starting with 7.2 makita and have probably had 8 different platforms. No way would I buy a used one unless it was for pennies on the dollar. I have 18v Milwaukee and they are far less reliable than the 12v Panasonic I had 20 years ago. Buy new and get a warranty.
    Another buy once cry once…

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Not sure their stuff is "used" but they always have a lot of interesting options and inventory rolls pretty well.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    You said Indy so i didn't post at first. But I am a Makita person and have saved money here buying reconditioned
    I did have to send one back for missing item and it was no issue.

https://www.cpooutlets.com/deal-zone

Here also decent sales.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I have a 30 yo Porter Cable 12V NiCad that still runs strong. You can keep NiCad batteries going for a long if you make sure they are completely discharged for long term storage. Of course that's a slight inconvenience to recharge before doing any work. Mine were dying due to dendrites but I just zapped them for a few seconds with a car battery. The high charge current vaporizes the dendrites that internally short them and they have more life in them.

Now everything is LiOn and if you don't treat them well they too "wear out" faster and there's no bringing them back.
    Store your LiOn tools at 40% charge (50-60% for LiPo) for best longevity.

Now I need to go get a Milwaukee cordless 3/8" drive, way more convenient than my air tool and you can get it into places no hand tool could ever get to remove cramped space bolts.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Unless you know who owned it before you, I wouldn't buy used battery op. power tools.

Def would not spend money on a used battery.

Circle city bargains on 31s just north of greenwood park mall sells open box/returned tools. He sells batteries too.

I think by the time you get what you want and need, new is the way to go.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I loved those old Makita battery drills that had the compartment in the handle for the battery. I don’t own any Makita battery tools now, but I do have an old school corded circular saw that is a just as much of a beast as the older ones were. Bought it new a couple years ago to replace the previous one I’d had for 30+ years and was really happy to see that Makita still builds em like they used to.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I loved those old Makita battery drills that had the compartment in the handle for the battery. I don’t own any Makita battery tools now, but I do have an old school corded circular saw that is a just as much of a beast as the older ones were. Bought it new a couple years ago to replace the previous one I’d had for 30+ years and was really happy to see that Makita still builds em like they used to.
    I used to drop them from 13'6" and see others do the same thing onto gravel and they kept working. So I have stuck with them.

Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    I am currently using M18 volt fuel Milwaukee. They are about the best for power and longevity. I do have a few M12s. Mostly for smaller stuff. Biggest draw back is they are expensive. But I do tend to replace them as they wear every decade or so. And I do use them often.

One thing to really watch for is counterfeit batteries. Not just Milwaukee, Dewalt and Makita too. You cannot tell them apart. They are identical and even sold in clamshell packs.

BTW Milwaukee may not honor the warranty unless bought through an authorized reseller.

Just a quick video on them. Some fakes are a lot better than these.

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm wanting to buy an impact driver cordless tool, where are some good places to buy used power tolls in the Indy area?
    Buy a new one at Harbor Frieght. I know, I know their reputation BUT you are already looking at USED ONES. Get a new one there and even if you have to use their warranty you will get through the job you have now.

Now for the better part, I've had SEVERAL people I know raving on HF and their Bauer cordless tools with the interchange able batteries. If I was doing it again, on a budget, and knew what I know now, I'd probably give them a try.

Last edited:

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    Indy pawn on Pendleton pike and Franklin there on the east side has a large selection of used power tools. They sell a lot of them. I have bought quite a few power tools there if it is something I am only going to use rarely. Some of the prices are good some not so much but they will haggle also

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Indy pawn on Pendleton pike and Franklin there on the east side has a large selection of used power tools. They sell a lot of them. I have bought quite a few power tools there if it is something I am only going to use rarely. Some of the prices are good some not so much but they will haggle also
    Hate that place with a passion.
    Went there and found some hand tools. Sign behind the counter said all hand tools 50% off.

Employee said no, customer behind us said its on the sign now, look.

Manager came over and was irritated we didn't want to pay full price. He went as far as to pull the tool up new online and say you are already getting it a few bucks cheaper.

I wonder how long it took them to sell those tools.

And never again will I go back to that crap hole.

Top Bottom