• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Buy a new one at Harbor Frieght. I know, I know their reputation BUT you are already looking at USED ONES. Get a new one there and even if you have to use their warranty you will get through the job you have now.
    To me it would depend on how you use your tools. Often (every week) or just light duty small projects here and there. I got a neighbor who pulls out his cordless drill a couple times a year. He sure does not need a Milwaukee or Dewalt. But I am using them often.

BTW HF does have some decent hand tools. Sockets and ratchets. I bet I have an impact socket set going on 30 years old. It is getting worn, probably needs to be replaced. It has taken off well over 100,000s of bolts.

Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Maybe that's why he buys high end
    Maybe I wasn't clear, My neighbor does not need high end. He usually gets the "whatever is cheapest" or whatever his wife buys him. It works for him. I think he can get a whole set for what one tool will cost me. But over time he "looses" some of them and after a couple years gets a new set.

I am the other guy with spare drill bits and a couple complete sets of bits. If one breaks or goes missing it gets replaced. Same with sockets. The sets are all complete. Some people can get by with the $9.95 socket sets and lose a few sockets here and there. Until they buy another cheap set. I am not knocking them, everyone has their own needs and price range. And everyone handles their tools differently.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Maybe I wasn't clear, My neighbor does not need high end. He usually gets the "whatever is cheapest" or whatever his wife buys him. It works for him. I think he can get a whole set for what one tool will cost me. But over time he "looses" some of them and after a couple years gets a new set.

I am the other guy with spare drill bits and a couple complete sets of bits. If one breaks or goes missing it gets replaced. Same with sockets. The sets are all complete. Some people can get by with the $9.95 socket sets and lose a few sockets here and there. Until they buy another cheap set. I am not knocking them, everyone has their own needs and price range. And everyone handles their tools differently.
    Yeah. When I got a camper, I bought all HF tools for that thing. Pretty much everything cheap. I figure I am more likely to lose it, leave it behind, etc, than break it. Warrior is cheap enough to lose :)

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Yeah. When I got a camper, I bought all HF tools for that thing. Pretty much everything cheap. I figure I am more likely to lose it, leave it behind, etc, than break it. Warrior is cheap enough to lose :)
    Pretty much why I used HF almost exclusively on the boat where it stood a very high chance of joining Davey Jones's locker. Even after much abuse, none of them died (or ended up getting wet).

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    To me it would depend on how you use your tools. Often (every week) or just light duty small projects here and there. I got a neighbor who pulls out his cordless drill a couple times a year. He sure does not need a Milwaukee or Dewalt. But I am using them often.

BTW HF does have some decent hand tools. Sockets and ratchets. I bet I have an impact socket set going on 30 years old. It is getting worn, probably needs to be replaced. It has taken off well over 100,000s of bolts.
    He was looking for USED ones. I don't think that is an issue here.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-

I’ve had my craftsman tools for over 40 years and I have rebuilt both ratchet drives 3/8’s & 1/2, but the rebuild kits are getting harder to find and nobody seems to reproduce them now.

Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    I’ve had my craftsman tools for over 40 years and I have rebuilt both ratchet drives 3/8’s & 1/2, but the rebuild kits are getting harder to find and nobody seems to reproduce them now.
    They used to be quite good tools. I still have a 3/8 and 1/2 ratchets. Actually still use the Craftsman screwdrivers as my go to ones. Except for doing electrical work, that toolbox gets the Kleins. I am not a garage sale person, but if I stop on see some Craftsman I usually grab them.

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'd buy Craftsman tools and Snapon used quicker than new ones. I pick up everyone I see in yard sales and such.

Last edited:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Now everything is LiOn and if you don't treat them well they too "wear out" faster and there's no bringing them back.
    Store your LiOn tools at 40% charge (50-60% for LiPo) for best longevity.
    LiOn you can open and replace bad cells easily(most) and getting replacement cells is fairly easy(batteriesplus or amazon).

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Harbor Freight is many times better than it was even 5 years ago, especially on power tools. It's a legitimate tool contender, even for professionals.

That being said, I run all Milwaukee cordless stuff- have for 20+ years. Buy used tools from wherever if you want, but don't pay more than you would for bare tools. Used batteries are a crapshoot. Someone got rid of it for a reason....or it was stolen to feed a habit.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Harbor Freight is many times better than it was even 5 years ago, especially on power tools. It's a legitimate tool contender, even for professionals.

That being said, I run all Milwaukee cordless stuff- have for 20+ years. Buy used tools from wherever if you want, but don't pay more than you would for bare tools. Used batteries are a crapshoot. Someone got rid of it for a reason....or it was stolen to feed a habit.
    Yes they have stepped up with the tools above base line. Warrior and PIttsburgh are like the base but now they have Bauer/Hercules and ICON.

I have friends who know how to track what factory the "same" tool comes out of to make sure you get the best one etc. True fanatics :) I ask them when I start getting things.

I have never broken a harbor freight tool. Now their manual tire changer for motorcycle tires can be frustrating though :)

Top Bottom