Where does the M&P15 fall in terms of quality?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I love mine! Never had a single issue. I've got Profire doing a ladder load of 69gr for me, so hopefully soon I'll be able to take it down to Atterbury and report on it's accuracy.
    The best load will be 24.5 grains at magazine length. I hope I didn't ruin the surprise..... It isn't magic, thousands of shooters been shooting the 69 out of AR's for lots of years. The wheel just goes round and round. It refuses to be reinvented.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    CMT?

And is there an alternative to the gunsmith?

Yes, CMT, where a large majority of the AR-15s are made. Almost everyone has CMT guns, they just buy a variance to say "Joe Bob's Guns" on the receiver but CMT makes them.

Continental Machine Tool Company, Inc.

Alternative to a gunsmith? Well, some guys like being their own mechanic. So, get certified and be your own armorer. It is fun too and justifies more time in basement away from the wife.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm happy to hear more praise for the M&P rifles. This was my first AR and has been good to me so far. I picked up a DPMS for a good price a couple of years back and have been trying to figure out what, if anything, it needs to bring it's level of reliability up above being a plinker. While going through that, I started to wonder about the M&P and am happy to know I don't need to put any money in its direction beyond mods driven by personal preferences.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Why did you shoot your friends? That doesn't seem like a great way to keep a friend.

I've had a pair of them for about 2 months now and so far I'm really happy. Great for AR practice on a budget.

Apparently he shot his friends because they were expendable? To you that seems like not a great way to keep friends, and what with having just a pair of them for only 2 months, I can see why you're so happy so far. Don't worry, you won't be a friend noob forever, and in no time, you too will have so many friends that they'll become expendable, and you can shoot yours too.

/purple

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Eh, just an opinion. I'm pleased with my Colt. He's pleased with his M&P. I mean it's not like he wiped his ass with a Glock.

Damn, of all the Glock bashing I do, why have I never thought of that?

I need to go find a Glock real quick. Won't be quite as soft as Charmin, but the satisfaction will be there :)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Damn, of all the Glock bashing I do, why have I never thought of that?

I need to go find a Glock real quick. Won't be quite as soft as Charmin, but the satisfaction will be there :)

Just don't wipe from along the top of the slide. I imagine the front and rear sights might cause some nasty fissures.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    You have a fine rifle. Don't worry about it. The AR Snobs will be along soon and tell you how much crap you have to hang off of it to improve it or to tell you that 4140 is crap steel compared to 4150....ignore them and enjoy your gun.

This^^^^^^^

You have as good of an AR-15 that is out there. Shoot and enjoy it.

Co Th G

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    You have a fine rifle. Don't worry about it. The AR Snobs will be along soon and tell you how much crap you have to hang off of it to improve it or to tell you that 4140 is crap steel compared to 4150....ignore them and enjoy your gun.

4140 is crap compared to my Colt's 4150 :laugh:, but the M&P is probably the least crappy of the crappy AR's!

Top Bottom