Where do you draw the line between Quality and Price?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DocGlock86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Plainfield
    I am in the process of wanting to get me another gun. I used to carry a Glock and due to some bills that came in I had to sell it. Right now I only have a .38 Derringer and to be honest I don't see that being a very good self defense gun. I've only owned a Glock so I don't know much about other brand guns. :dunno:

My question to ya'll..... I want to get me a decent gun to carry for self defense. With the way the world is looking right now I feel really naked without a gun on my side. The problem is I don't really have the funds to buy a brand new glock. So where do I draw that line for Quality and Price? I'm honestly looking roughly no more than $200.00 maybe, Maybe $300.00. Is that possible? If so what? Like I said I'm looking for something for self defense. Nothing fancy that I would take to the range everyday. Just something to protect myself if need be.

Thanks for your input.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    $200 - for carry go Kel-Tec, for home consider a used S&W revolver.

$300 - for carry go Taurus, for home various used options.

Get what you can now. Spring for the most you can, but do not go empty handed.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    If you're able to spend $300 now, you can also save up a little while longer and get into a used Glock at $385-400. You had one before, you liked it and are familiar with them; that should be your #1 choice, IMO.

The $200-$300 range will get you into a police trade-in S&W, used Ruger or Taurus, or a new Kel-Tec or Bersa.

What's your life worth?

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Those are all great options for a new carry gun.

To answer the question about quality and money there is no line for me. I end up buying whatever it is that I wanted in the first place anyway. So now I just buy what I want when I get the money instead of spending it twice.

This applies to me for range guns AND carry guns.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Personally, I'm too poor to buy cheap. There is only one handgun that I own that I regret buying (Glock 19). If you decide that you want a Glock, Sig, S&W, or whatever, don't settle for less. Sooner or later, you will regret being cheap. I understand that times are tough, but, if you have $300 that you can spend now, wait a little bit and you will have $400 or whatever you need. Most gunshops (if not all) will allow you to put a gun in lay-away. Slap that $300 down on whatever and put $20 a week on your gun until you own it. I'm sure, if you pinched pennies, that you could come up with $20 plus a week.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Personally, I'm too poor to buy cheap. There is only one handgun that I own that I regret buying (Glock 19). If you decide that you want a Glock, Sig, S&W, or whatever, don't settle for less. Sooner or later, you will regret being cheap. I understand that times are tough, but, if you have $300 that you can spend now, wait a little bit and you will have $400 or whatever you need. Most gunshops (if not all) will allow you to put a gun in lay-away. Slap that $300 down on whatever and put $20 a week on your gun until you own it. I'm sure, if you pinched pennies, that you could come up with $20 plus a week.

:+1:

Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    A great pistol that is just beyond your stated price are the FN FNP series. You can find them for less than $475 everywhere. I got one for $460, and I'm sure you could find one cheaper than that with a little hunting. They come in a hard case with 3 magazines, and the 9mm holds 16+1

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    Of all the comments, I believe the lay away plan is the best idea for you. If you put the money down on the gun you will find a way to make a payment until you own it.

You don't say where you are but when I visited Beech Grove Firearms last, they showed me a couple of semi autos made in Ohio that were less than $300. They guy said they were actually a pretty good gun if you kept them clean.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Can also get a NIB Steyr pistol from CDNN right at $350...

Google up some Steyr M9-A1 or M40-A1 for more information!

-J-

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    they showed me a couple of semi autos made in Ohio that were less than $300. They guy said they were actually a pretty good gun if you kept them clean.

Hi-Points??? $150 is about the going rate on those. Not aware of any other pistols made in Ohio. I put them in the "best of the worst" category; if you can afford anything better, do it.

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    well....I draw that line right bout my beltline where my Bersa Thunder .45 Ultra Compact goes. And for just under $280 from Bob at Plainfield shooting supplies. :D :yesway:

TGUNTER

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Plainfield
    Just remember like some of the other guys have said it may be better to save and get what you want. Because if you are carrying it for protection and you ever need it, it had better work and you should have confidence in your choice.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    For a concealed carry gun to get you by until you have more $$?

A Bersa .380, $240 at Premier Arms in Brownsburg.

$200-$300 will get you a used or almost new Taurus .38 snubby. Might be able to find other brands used in that range, also, but those would be harder to find near the $200 mark in as good a condition as a Taurus for the same money would be in.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I look at it this way, I buy the highest reasonable quality that I can afford. For a full sized pistol, I'll take my Glock. Great quality for the money. I also carry a Kel-Tec. It isn't as high of quality as a Glock, but it is smaller and fills a different need.

I would feel perfectly fine with my $250 Kel-Tec P11 as my only self defense gun, if I had to. I own and carry the P3AT. A Rogbargh (sp?) R9 is worlds above the P3AT in quality, but I can't justify 4x the cost.

If you aren't too concerned with concealability, a used Police trade-in G22 can be had for $350. Mine was more silver than black on the slide when I got it and I've personally put 4-5k rounds through it. Still works great. Just a little big to carry.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i draw the line where ever i can afford to sometimes i buy a weatherby rifle sometimes i buy a cheap one it just depends on my current finances and whether i need the gun or want the gun but ive got good at convincing myself i need about any gun

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    +1 on buying used.

Unless it has been seriously abused (which should be fairly obvious), a quality handgun should last your lifetime. There is no need to pay the "new gun" premium especially on a carry pistol that's going to get holster wear anyway.

In the $300 range, there are still a number of surplus SIG P6s out there. The P6 is a German police issue model of the SIG P225. It is a DA-SA single stack semi auto. Some SIG fanatics consider it to be their favorite SIG with the best handling and ergonomics. The best prices are at CDNN (you'd have to pay a transfer fee) but I've also seen them in local stores, even Gander Mountain, for slightly more.

In my book, these are probably the best value out there for a combat worthy handgun in the $300 price range.

There is also something to be said for what folks above point out; if you had a Glock before and really liked it, and that is what you are used to, you are so close to where you could get a used one. Just shop around and save your pennies and you will be there soon.

Top Bottom