• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I OC'd all day today and the only person that questioned me was my nephew (he's 10ish)
    Nephew: Why are you carrying a BB gun uncle William
    Me: It's not a BB gun.
    N: Is it a tranquilizer?
    Me: No, it's not.
    N: Is that a real gun?
    Me: Yes it is.
    N: Oh wow (pauses) are we going to shoot it?
    Me: Not today.
    Now for the rest of the story:
    I was in Michigan, in the woods, getting things straight for deer hunting. For once I even carried my extra mags; I didn't want to come across some trespassing a-wipe cooking meth armed with nothing but brush cutting tools.

You should have said "not if people behave". :):

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    but everyone out there cant believe that i carry openly. especially at a bank?! lol. they all tell me im gonna get arrested if i keep doin it, because they think its illegal to carry in a bank. not that thats the only place i go, but with the incident at my home branch freakin out the manager, they think im stupid. you honestly wouldnt believe the ridicule i get for advicating legal carry all the time.

While I see this topic in a recent post, I've got to make note of something...

I bank with a couple different money-storage/savings companies,
    One of them being a Credit Union that is for Members of Indiana (hint)...
    My branch in Greenwood is your typical CU/Bank as far as atmosphere goes,
    However I was on the NW side a couple of months ago and had to go inside of the branch there.

I wasn't carrying on me at the time (just strapped in the car), but as I'm walking to the doors
    It's very obvious they've got a HUGE metal detector'd frame as you walk in followed by an armed guard.

I understand carrying a firearm in a bank is legal... But since the likelihood of this bank getting robbed is higher,
    Does that mean I have to make an exception to carrying in there just for their pleasure/reassurance?

Just curious,

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

However I was on the NW side a couple of months ago and had to go inside of the branch there.

I wasn't carrying on me at the time (just strapped in the car), but as I'm walking to the doors
    It's very obvious they've got a HUGE metal detector'd frame as you walk in followed by an armed guard.

I understand carrying a firearm in a bank is legal... But since the likelihood of this bank getting robbed is higher,
    Does that mean I have to make an exception to carrying in there just for their pleasure/reassurance?

Just curious,

If you are a custumer in that bank you have all the right to carry your gun their.
    Also the metal detector is just strange, I guess it has to go off for everything metal just like in airports (belt, knife, watch etc) not only gun.
    So do they have to stop every person coming in the bank? :dunno:

protias

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Formerly Greensburg

Just curious,

I would carry just because you also have a greater chance of getting robbed outside of the bank/CU than you do inside. ;)

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    Believe me, I carry for all the right intentions... Just didn't know if there was a golden rule of some kind I was missing out on.

For what it's worth, that day; I had two phones (with metal) in them, My keys (more metal stuff) and a belt with an obvious metal loop frame.

Come to think of it? I'd imagine it was fake (or unplugged) and was a deterrent to scare possible robbers away...
    Because she never did go ding-ding when I walked through the door that day.

Like I said, it was VERY bluntly obvious that when approaching the entrance, there was a massive white framed detector just inside the next door.

I say fake?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Believe me, I carry for all the right intentions... Just didn't know if there was a golden rule of some kind I was missing out on.

For what it's worth, that day; I had two phones (with metal) in them, My keys (more metal stuff) and a belt with an obvious metal loop frame.

Come to think of it? I'd imagine it was fake (or unplugged) and was a deterrent to scare possible robbers away...
    Because she never did go ding-ding when I walked through the door that day.

Like I said, it was VERY bluntly obvious that when approaching the entrance, there was a massive white framed detector just inside the next door.

I say fake?
    More likely it is an RFID scanner, not a metal detector. Scans chips they have in the bags, and might even set off the dye packets used during robberies. If it was a metal detector, it would be sounding for almost every customer.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    More likely it is an RFID scanner, not a metal detector. Scans chips they have in the bags, and might even set off the dye packets used during robberies. If it was a metal detector, it would be sounding for almost every customer.

I was wondering the same thing.Many people take those RFID scanners for metal detectors.

airport-security-detector1.jpg

Metal detector

ANTE0074.jpg

RFID scanner (usullay with no part on the top unlike the metal detectors)

Fishe39392

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I OCed Saturday at the Johnny Appleseed Festival, Starbucks, Dick's Sporting Goods(doing some price checking on a 12guage), a couple pet stores, Old Navy and Best Buy all in Fort Wayne.
    I also CCed at the mall, as their security loves to harass anyone they see carrying, whether it be OC or CC, but I was too slick for them.
    No incidents anywhere, but did get a few looks throughout the day.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    I OC'd at walmart in Plymouth on sunday. The only thing I heard was an older said "nice" as I walked by her. I know she wasnt talking about my ass so I assume she was complimenting my XD9. :D

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I OCed Saturday at the Johnny Appleseed Festival, Starbucks, Dick's Sporting Goods(doing some price checking on a 12guage), a couple pet stores, Old Navy and Best Buy all in Fort Wayne.
    I also CCed at the mall, as their security loves to harass anyone they see carrying, whether it be OC or CC, but I was too slick for them.
    No incidents anywhere, but did get a few looks throughout the day.

Nice to hear there were no problems at the Johnny Appleseed festival. I was planning on OC'ing there on Saturday, but I ended up not going at all.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm not ashamed or anything, but I've been doing a ton of CC lately. I don't know what's sparked it... just the new people I'm hanging around with. They know I carry, they've seen me OC... but I just don't feel like being a distraction to what could be more meaningful conversation

I was approached in BW3 at the table by a waiter, apparently my CC USP40 was sticking out of my shirt - He came up and said "That's not what I usually see you carrying! Where's the 1911?!" We had a good discussion about it, and it was fun... but I didn't want my gun to be a conversation on this night. Yeah my fault for not making sure it was covered... but even when CC, some guys approach and ask where my "piece" is.

It's hard to get away from if you've OC'd for years. Some people just expect it, and don't realize that CC means Concealed... and therefore "secret". Not a huge deal, but... when I CC I also want the people around me to not have to think about it or talk about it.

williamrights

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I love this time of year coming up. Around Haloween I am always a cowboy. I belong to the Single Action Shooting Society. I get to dress like a cowboy complete with a pair of 45 Colts. People always tell me oh those look very realistic. I say that is because they are. I take it as a time to educate them on the subject especially open carry. And I open carried at the Chinese Buffet with 3 of my kids this weekend no problems.

loganathompson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    OC'd at the dollar general store and local gas station in owensville. no problems and i know people saw it....by the way i OC'd often, (not %100 of the time about %75 of the time), before the incident in evansville. so im not OC'ing just to show solidarity with him. i already was occasionally.....

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    The target on Keystone two days in a row. A sick six-month old requires many trips to the store. boy I hope he's better soon.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom