• Status
    Not open for further replies.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I carried the first time today. The family went out to eat with some friends. I carried it about 5:30 position under my shirt, keep checking to make sure it was covered only because it was my first time and didn't want any trouble this time out.

Going yard selling with my wife tomorrow and plan on carrying then also but OC at my 3:00
    The first time I carried was to a big mall in E'ville at Christmas time. It was a beautiful Kimber Ultra Carry II in a plastic holster at 4 o'clock. It was pretty cold outside. On the way home we decided to stop for Saturday evening Mass so I pulled the whole rig off my belt and locked it in the car. The church was crowded and we had to sit in the front pew. I was day dreaming like normal and started to get warm with my jacket on. As we stood for the Gospel I started peeling the jacket off and suddenly couldn't remember if I had taken the pistol off. I was freaking out that I was going to expose a weapon in front of the whole church. I really need to start paying attention more!

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Just in case there was any doubt about how Bryan Ciyou feels about open carry, this is from an article in yesterday's Indiana Lawyer that discussed the Hammond and Evansville lawsuits:

-----------------
    Bryan Ciyou, attorney and author of the Indiana Firearms Reference Manual, said while Indiana law does not require handguns to be shielded from view, it is the generally accepted practice among gun owners.

“Among the people that are respected in the community that know anything about guns, they would say that 99 times out of 100, carrying it concealed is the right way to go about it,” Ciyou said. He said the obvious exception would be for security and law enforcement personnel, whom most people assume are carrying guns anyway.

“I suppose the unconcealed carry at the zoo could be for a reasonable purpose. However, if it was done to set up a suit, it is the type of ‘lawful behavior’ that empowers anti-gun camps,” he said. “Just because something is a legal right does not mean it should be exercised, or make its exercise right.”

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    “Among the people that are respected in the community that know anything about guns, they would say that 99 times out of 100, carrying it concealed is the right way to go about it,” Ciyou said. He said the obvious exception would be for security and law enforcement personnel, whom most people assume are carrying guns anyway.
    What he is saying is that if you open carry on a consistent basis then you are not "respected in the community" and that you don't "know anything about guns..."
    Hmm, Asshattery in him is strong...

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Just in case there was any doubt about how Bryan Ciyou feels about open carry, this is from an article in yesterday's Indiana Lawyer that discussed the Hammond and Evansville lawsuits:

-----------------
    Bryan Ciyou, attorney and author of the Indiana Firearms Reference Manual, said while Indiana law does not require handguns to be shielded from view, it is the generally accepted practice among gun owners.

“I suppose the unconcealed carry at the zoo could be for a reasonable purpose. However, if it was done to set up a suit, it is the type of ‘lawful behavior’ that empowers anti-gun camps,” he said. “Just because something is a legal right does not mean it should be exercised, or make its exercise right.”

I know that Brian Ciyou is a friend of INGO (his booth is usually right next to INGO at the 1500), but I have lost a whole lot of respect for him over the past couple of months. I know he has done much to compile a list of laws regarding firearms ownership, but his comments as of late have done nothing to advance our cause. He has made it crystal clear that he believes that all gun owners should conceal, and if they choose not to, they are being unreasonable.

As I have said several times, I don't care HOW you carry, I just care that you carry. If concealing is right for you, then I support that. However, I will not tolerate somebody telling me that I am doing it wrong just because I don't carry in the same manner as they do. And to claim that OC is unreasonable as he has said in the past, is absurd!

That being said, my BIGGEST concern is with this statement (coming from a lawyer, no less):
    “Just because something is a legal right does not mean it should be exercised, or make its exercise right.”

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    That being said, my BIGGEST concern is with this statement (coming from a lawyer, no less): “Just because something is a legal right does not mean it should be exercised, or make its exercise right.”

I agree completely.

He appears to be saying that the police are justified in ordering someone to refrain from exercising a legal right. I'd really like to hear the legal analysis behind that one.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    I agree completely.

He appears to be saying that the police are justified in ordering someone to refrain from exercising a legal right. I'd really like to hear the legal analysis behind that one.

I don't think it's a legal analysis. I think it's a personal opinion similar to "just because you can, doesn't mean you should" even though there's no true legal rhyme or reason. Like a lot of people here who are adamant about CC and feel OC is never ok, Mr Ciyou seems to think that now that there's some teeth to the "I don't have to, you can't make me" means that OCers are only doing so because they're showing off.

I could be wrong.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    means that OCers are only doing so because they're showing off.

I could be wrong.

I think so. I dont OC to show off. I oc because its comfortable, its a deterrent, I have a faster draw than when I CC, and I like it.

If the sheeple of this nation got their head out of the asses, and this became socially acceptable in modern day america, I dont think there would be any "showing off" aspect to begin with.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    Hey. I have to agree... Just because you can (be a jerk, flip off nuns, call your mom bad names, insert whatever clause you want) doesn't mean you should.

Now, OC or cc. I don't care. I don't see what harm there is. But the statement stands. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

protias

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Formerly Greensburg
    Hey. I have to agree... Just because you can (be a jerk, flip off nuns, call your mom bad names, insert whatever clause you want) doesn't mean you should.

Now, OC or cc. I don't care. I don't see what harm there is. But the statement stands. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
    So I guess in my state, where I cannot carry concealed (until Nov 1, 2011 when the permit process starts), I shouldn't carry openly?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

But what's actually implied, when tossed in there as the conclusion to his previous "no good reason to OC" comments is that people who carry this way are only doing it because they can.

Rather presumptuous and misinformed IMO.

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Yes I did open carry today. At the big liqor store in Avon, and at Great Fermentations homebrew store, picking up supplies for winemaking. Got a couple of looks, but no comments. I very well might have been the first person to OC there in the last 20 years :)

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yes I did open carry today. At the big liqor store in Avon, and at Great Fermentations homebrew store, picking up supplies for winemaking. Got a couple of looks, but no comments. I very well might have been the first person to OC there in the last 20 years :)

Nay! I OC'd at Great Fermentations back in February :D Bought some beer brewing materials, and they gave me a huge box of empty bottles for free

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom