• Status
    Not open for further replies.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    OC'd to the midnight showing of The Avengers last night. EXCELLENT movie!

CC'd to the Komets game. Yeah, I know: wrong thread. I just REALLY don't want problems that would cause me to miss the K's game, even though it IS legal now.

It's because you look like a Jarhead.

Welcome back, btw. Congrats on your commission.

Thank you and thank you!

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Meijer, and Shell gas station.

At Shell while I was fueling up, a man approached from the other pump and asked about how I carry. While he was coming up, he hesitated and said he didn't want to make me nervous or anything :P

He didn't know you could OC, so I explained the law to him. He said he always had to wear a jacket and didn't know that non-concealed was allowed here. Talked a bit more about the laws and whatnot before he left.

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    Saw several people OC'ing today at Best Buy in Greenwood.

They weren't OC'ing... but struck conversation with a couple in their mid and late 70's.
    The guy had a Glock on his waist covered by his shirt and his wife had a 357 magnum in her purse.

Probably some of the nicest people I've ever talked to in short conversation.

I OC'd after my shift inside the Walmart at County Line/Emerson. Donated a couple dollar bills I had in my wallet to the Veteran Affairs/Support,
    and got a handshake from one of the other gentlemen standing just outside the front doors.

Rock on, Greenwood! :rockwoot:

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Saw several people OC'ing today at Best Buy in Greenwood.

They weren't OC'ing... but struck conversation with a couple in their mid and late 70's.
    The guy had a Glock on his waist covered by his shirt and his wife had a 357 magnum in her purse.

Probably some of the nicest people I've ever talked to in short conversation.

I OC'd after my shift inside the Walmart at County Line/Emerson. Donated a couple dollar bills I had in my wallet to the Veteran Affairs/Support,
    and got a handshake from one of the other gentlemen standing just outside the front doors.

Rock on, Greenwood! :rockwoot:

Have you had any issues at that wallmart? I frequent that one.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    OC'd to the mall and Bass Pro yesterday. No comments at Bass Pro, as I would expect. Everything was fine until we started leaving the mall.

Being a Saturday night, a gang of.....lets call them "inner city youth" were loitering around the exit. As we walked out and to our car, heard one of them say something along the lines of "Oh, ol boy got hiz Glock on! He don't fight, he just shoots! Dayyyyyyum!"

My fiancee and I ignored them. Clearly they weren't up to anything untoward other than being annoying. Didn't figure there would be any trouble, and there wasn't.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Made one more trip tonight - Went to "Margeritas" on Smith Valley and 135.

Waitress called me "chulo". Maybe it was my fedora w/ feather... but I think that means "pimp".

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Chulo means "dandy." She was calling you fancy.

I hybrid carried on my ride to and from Greensburg, then OC'd while I was in Greensburg and while I was out this evening grilling.

elwoodward

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Washington Co.
    OC'd to the mall and Bass Pro yesterday. No comments at Bass Pro, as I would expect. Everything was fine until we started leaving the mall.

Being a Saturday night, a gang of.....lets call them "inner city youth" were loitering around the exit. As we walked out and to our car, heard one of them say something along the lines of "Oh, ol boy got hiz Glock on! He don't fight, he just shoots! Dayyyyyyum!"

My fiancee and I ignored them. Clearly they weren't up to anything untoward other than being annoying. Didn't figure there would be any trouble, and there wasn't.
    :hijack: But really no problems at the mall? Had a roommate go their a few weeks ago and was told to leave or put his firearm in the car. Even at Bass Pro the past 3 out of 4 times ive been there they have asked to see my LTCH.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Cross-posting my report from the Carrying at the Polling Station thread:

Just got back from voting! I OC'd; Dad was with me, CC'ing.

I overheard a couple of the ladies working the polling station discussing whether I was allowed to have my gun. "Is he a police officer?" "His shirt says 'Marine Officer'." (I was wearing one of my motivated Marine Officer Programs T-shirts that I got while working at the officer selection station.)

A minute later, one of them walked up to me, tugged on my shirt a bit, and asked, "Excuse me. Why do you have a gun?"

"Because I wanted to," I replied.

"Do you have your permit?" asked another lady working there? She was probably my mother's age, maybe older—definitely old enough to be a grandmother.

"Oh, of course," said I.

"Me, too," she said, which caused the first lady—the one who'd tugged on my shirt—to say, "Yeah, but you don't have yours on you." I didn't ask, and the lady didn't offer to explain whether she was carrying or not.

As I walked to the voting booth, the lady with the permit asked if I was in the NRA. I'm not, but she is. The gentleman in the booth beside mine was just walking away, and he remarked that he is, too, though I didn't see if he was carrying.

It was nice to be able to exercise my right to carry while exercising my right to vote this time. The last time, I had to vote early down at the Allen County courthouse, which was still a no-carry building at the time.

I love America, and I love Indiana!

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Oh, and last Friday I OC'd at the Rave theater in Fort Wayne while I was there to see The Avengers (for the second night in a row!). I had to deal with a county mounty telling me to cover it up. Here's how THAT went down…

"You in the orange shirt!"

That was me. I had seen the officer standing right beside the trash can, but I walked over to throw away my ticket receipt anyway. I was sure he'd end up seeing my sidearm, but hoped he'd know the laws and policies well enough to leave me be. My group had been in no rush, but he apparently didn't notice right away because I had entered the theatre for my showing before he said anything to me.

"You in the orange shirt!" he said again now that I was looking his direction, and he waved his hand in a gesture indicating we were going to have a chat in the hallway. "Let me see your license to carry."

"Sure thing, officer." I replied in a friendly tone. "Here's my license to carry, my driver's license, and my military ID."

"You're going to need to cover that up," he explained, examining the cards I'd handed him.

I sighed. "Sir, I know I don't need to." He glared at me over his glasses. I thought to myself, I should get my phone out and start recording this, but I didn't. Shorter than I by several inches and wider at the waist than I by even more, he was still an imposing figure in his uniform. I never did catch his name, unfortunately. I tried to read it, but he was turned in such a way that I could see his name tag.

"This is private property."

"Yes, sir. I understand that. Are you telling me that, as a representative of the theatre, I need to cover up?"

"This is private property."

"Yes, sir. I understand that," I said, while thinking to myself, OK, yeah, I got that, buddy. How many times are we going to go around in circles? "Are you telling me that their policy says I can't carry openly here?"

"This is private property." He was using that authoritative voice that officers of the law normally use in encounters like this. Fortunately, I've now been conditioned by sergeant instructors and maintained bearing and confidence in posture and voice.

Getting tired of the encounter, I offered a solution. "I'll tell you what, sir. In order to expedite this, I'll agree to go ahead and cover it up if you'll acknowledge that I don't have to.'"

He examined my cards again. "Lieutenant?"

"Yes, sir."

"Does the Marine Corps know you're out here carrying a gun around openly?" He didn't seem impressed with my offer.

"I'm on my own time now, sir." And I'm not breaking any laws or policies doing it, either.

"If I called them up right now, what would they say?"

"Do you want the number for my commanding officer? I can give that to you." What might have been the stupidest move of the evening on my part may also have been what showed him the confidence I had in my actions being rightful.

He took the information, handed me my cards, and walked away. Very well. I headed into the theatre and found my friends, who hadn't stuck around to watch this time, my sidearm still carried openly.

We were there quite early trying to get good seats, but we still ended up sitting closer to the front than we'd wanted to. Several minutes passed, and then the officer came up to me and asked to speak with me out in the hallway. On my way out to meet him, I covered up my sidearm with my T-shirt.

Out in the hallway, the officer told me that he'd checked and learned the Rave has no policy against open carry, which I already knew. It wasn't an apology, but I figured it was as close as we were going to get. He thanked me for being respectful during our conversation. And then he asked me to cover up. Given the officer's attitude, his willingness to check with the theater about their policy, and the fact that he seemed aware that the law allowed me to open carry, I went along with it. Really, who cares? I'm going to be sitting down in a dark theatre anyway, and as soon as I leave, it'll be uncovered again. We went out separate ways.

I left it out of the conversation above, but at one point, the officer spoke about how it was a bad idea to open carry in general. He said he always carries a gun with him—at which point I chimed in with "So do I"—and he always carries concealed. I replied with something to the effect that it was a personal preference.

Anyway, there's the story.

BTW, Avengers is one freaking awesome movie. It's not for nothing that I went to see it on two consecutive nights!

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    Have you had any issues at that wallmart? I frequent that one.

Never had an issue. I'm there usually 2 or 3 times a week (not that I enjoy it).
    It's 7 minutes from my house so as much as that place can p*ss me off sometimes, it's very convenient to stop at.

Although, for sake of discussion... Back in February, I had >>THIS<< interaction at this Wal-mart.

Other than ^that^ and the occasional compliments, I'm able to go in, take care of my business and carry on.

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    This past Saturday a friend and I made the trek from Warsaw to the Jefferson Point Mall for some Chick-fil-a (they really need one in Warsaw), then to Family Christian Bookstore, and on to Cold Stone Creamery before making our way back to Warsaw ...not so much as a second look from anyone. The only direct interaction we had with another person outside of paying for our purchases, etc., was when my friend saw someone with a "Psych" show t-shirt (it's her favorite tv show) and made a comment that she loves the show and the t-shirt. Good chicken, good ice cream, and an enjoyable day with a friend.

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    You must spread some Repuation around before giving it to mk2ja again.

Can I get a spotter, please? Great post, brother! :rockwoot:

Great representation as a gun owner. I firmly believe in standing your ground but being respectful while doing so.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom