• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Notavictim646

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Undisclosed
    Ok guys. When you go to visit someone's home for the first time. Do you mention anything about your carrying? Do you leave it in the car? What do you do? All people are not gun people. I personally would be pretty peeved if someone entered my home armed without asking me if it was cool. Lets keep it clean please.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Ok guys. When you go to visit someone's home for the first time. Do you mention anything about your carrying? Do you leave it in the car? What do you do? All people are not gun people. I personally would be pretty peeved if someone entered my home armed without asking me if it was cool. Lets keep it clean please.

If I start to ask about all the weapons I carry people would freak out. :dunno:
    I dont ask people if they are martial artists and can kill people with their bare hands when they come to my house, so I dont ask about weapons either and I dont tell about mines.
    I just dont see the point.

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    I don't tell if they don't ask. I also don't divulge whether I have a wallet or money clip, or how much money I have or whether or not I have boxers or briefs or none at all. In other words, if it's on my person it's none of their business.
    Since when is visiting someone grounds for full disclosure of anything?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I find out what they think about it. Let them know I carry. Its their house.
    I may disagree with them, but, its their house.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    If someone wants me to "respect" all the rules of their home then they have an obligation to post them on the front door for easy understanding. Some people from some cultures think that the "thumbs up" gesture is obscene. Need I ask about that before I make one. Others think that leaving an eating utensil across the edge of a plate is very bad mannered. Should I clarify that also.

We all have hundreds of preferences for what goes on in our own homes. Expecting guests to know each and every one of them, or to clarify each one, seems a surefire way to encourage friends and family to hang out somewhere else.

Notavictim646

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Undisclosed
    If someone wants me to "respect" all the rules of their home then they have an obligation to post them on the front door for easy understanding.

So, if I don't have a no smoking sign on my front door is it unreasonable for me to expect someone to ask before they light up in my house? Is this different?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    So, if I don't have a no smoking sign on my front door is it unreasonable for me to expect someone to ask before they light up in my house? Is this different?

Very different. It's not like I'm going to be shooting in their house.

Carrying a gun is more like just having a pack of smokes on me.

It's not a respect thing or courtesy to inform them of articles I simply possess.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI

Do you expect them to tell you if they merely have a pack of cigarettes in their pocket without intention of lighting one up. YOU brought up the comparison. Be upright enough to give an answer.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    If they are a friend or family, then they already know that I carry. If they don't, well, they would find out soon enough.

If I were to step into their house and they asked me to disarm, I don't see why I wouldn't at the request of a friend or family member.

Now that isn't to say I wouldn't eventually try to bring them over to the light side.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...On another mans property you must respect the rules of his home, period. Its a respect thing.

The question was whether we'd mention it, not if we'd respect their rules.

If somebody doesn't want me on their property for whatever reason, I have no problem leaving, but I'm not going to disarm for them or even mention it.

jazzy1993

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Lake County
    I just stayed at an out of town in laws house last weekend. Since my wife and I were staying in his home for three nights, I figured I would let him know that I have a firearm in his home. I said " I want you to know I do carry a firearm and have a LTCH for it.". He said that he appreciated and respected me for letting him know but it was unnecessary. It turned out he had a Glock19 and a Colt 45 himself. We checked each others firearms of the next day and all was good. It turns out his law partner does the CC training course for KY permits.

My suggestion is be respectful, not all people are as like minded as us. Let them know you are within your rights, but wanted to make them aware as a sign of respect.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I don't mention it. I really don't make many new friends and those that I do make are centered around firearms. The vast majority of my wife's friends live in Chicago. I figure that there is no point in even having that conversation. The only way it could end is them telling me that I'm a horrible person, me telling them I would rather be a horrible person than a sheep, and my wife being very mad at me. LOL.

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    FWIW. it's never been a problem for me. Then again, I don't usually go around knocking on the doors of strangers, and most everyone who invites me over knows that I carry. I've never been asked to disarm or leave, and people continue to ask me back ...so.... :dunno:

MedicMonty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2012
    Terre Haute
    ^^^
    This

On another mans property you must respect the rules of his home, period. Its a respect thing.

^^^^
    +1

Generally if I think there's a question, I ask beforehand. And always if there are kids around. If it's a friend, you generally know whether they're comfortable or not. If it's someone I don't know, didn't expect to be there, etc., i may just keep my mouth shut if it's a short visit and I'm completely concealed, but otherwise, you earn a lot of respect for just asking the dang question.

Top Bottom