• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I was getting my oil changed this morning and they did their usual "courtesy checks". One of them was to test the battery and it showed 515 CCA and the battery is rated for 640. The battery is an Auto Craft Gold from Advance Auto Parts and isn't quite 2 years old (3 year replacement warranty, 84 month prorated). Is it time to try to get it replaced? Anyone know what the rule of thumb is as far as rated CCA loss?

About two weeks ago the car took 2 cranks to start which was the symptom that made me get it replaced the first time. Been fine since, but this test has me a bit apprehensive for winter now.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Hi. Do not trust the oil change places. Their profit is is in add on work like batteries filters and lights.

I have worked as a counterman and delivery driver for a major autoparts retailer for 5 1/2 years. I have seen their testers fail brand new batterys if they are just a little discharged.

Also if the tester is Interstate branded (bright green) the tester asks the tech if the battery is an Interstate battery. If it is the test is more lenient and strict if it is a different brand.

The average life of a battery in Indiana is 5 years.

Take you battery to Advance, Autozone, or Oriely. They have testers that are unbiased and non-commision managers.

Last edited:

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Eh, they know I won't get the battery replaced there, especially after I told em I would take it back to Advance ;) They said bring the car back in a month or so and they'd test it again if I wanted. The factory battery went kaput after three years (it is an 08 Mazda 3 purchased in August 07, so that battery should have been fresh). 80% of rated CCA after two years -- expected?

The only other upsell was to inform me my cabin air filter needs replaced in 6000 miles -- I will do that myself. Aside from my first oil change, a recall, and new tires, this shop has done all the work on my car over the past five years. They have treated me pretty well.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I don't know what Advance will use as the "cut-off" for a warranty replacement. Wouldn't hurt to stop by and let them test it.

My batteries seem to last 5-7 years or so. Some longer (my fancy gel-cells), and some less (the factory batteries). I replace them when they fail to start the car.

Note: Your starter likely draws between 200A (small 4-cylinder) to 300A (V8) to start your car cold. As long as your battery can supply at least that amount, it will start your car.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Factory batterys are a different animal... they tend to fail right after the end of the car's warrenty which is about 3 years... especially the Panasonic ones in asian cars. AC Delco had a bad batch in the early 2000s that the positive terminal would corrode and fall off.

Cabin air filters are not difficult or expensive. They are between 17 and 35 dollars depending if you want odor control or not. They take literally a minute to change on most cars... but not all.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    If its still under warranty take it back to Advance and have them test it. A good battery will normally last 5-7 years. However I have had batteries go bad within a year. A bad alternator can shorten the life as well.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You'll also usually get a warning that the battery is getting weak. On cold mornings the starter might not sound quite so peppy. If it's abnormally cold, this is nothing to worry about, but if it's just marginally cold, you might want to start worrying. I too usually wait until the thing completely dies. I also have one of the small jumpstart boxes so when it does decide to go, I can still start the car. Depending on your DIY level and the make of the battery, you can also check the electrolyte level in the cells. If it is low adding some water might bring it back to life. My Grand Prix battery was sounding a little weak two years ago, I popped the caps and added a little water. It's still going strong now.

Disclaimer: The battery electrolyte is very acidic. Don't get it on you or anything else. I am not responsible if you mess it up.

karl77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Calumet township/Lake County
    If your car keeps the lights on for a while after you shut it off, it will be harder on a battery than those that don't.

my dd gets a new battery every 3yrs, the others, as needed (normally the coldest day of the winter).

A_Brit_In_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Greenwood, Indiana
    Also if the tester is Interstate branded (bright green) the tester asks the tech if the battery is an Interstate battery. If it is the test is more lenient and strict if it is a different brand. WRONG!!! I have the very latest Interstate battery tester it does NOT ask what sort of battery is fitted to the vehicle, HOWEVER it will tell you what battery the vehicle calls for if you scan the VIN

The average life of a battery in Indiana is 5 years. WRONG again !!! I have changed many batteries that are 7 plus years old some as many as 10 years, I have also warranted new or nearly new batteries, remember the tester is only as good, and as honest as the person using it.

A_Brit_In_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Greenwood, Indiana
    Cabin air filters are not difficult or expensive. They are between 17 and 35 dollars depending if you want odor control or not. They take literally a minute to change on most cars... but not all.

Carbon ACC filter (Cabin filter) on a BMW are $70 a set, $95 on a Mercedes and take much longer than just a minute to change

Top Bottom