• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    the only way im going to let some random dude on the sidewalk know i have a gun, is when i am at my last resort and my life depends on it. this whole "i flashed the handle of my gun" stuff is what gives people the misguided perception that guns are bad. quit walking around like a hardass and go about your business. it doesnt make you tougher to have a gun on ya. woo hoo.

Kw1P

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Your right but I'm also not gonna wait for some homeless guys to start pushing me around and taking my stuff before I stop

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    The other day i had 2 homless men aproach me and ask if i had any money. When i said no they became agrivated and continued walking towards me asking me what i had purchased from the store i was leaving and insinuating that they could use whatever it was i had. When they continued walking towards me at an uncomfortable pace i placed my hand on a glock 19 under my sweatshirt and took a defensive posture. Upon recognition of what i had they averted their course and continued walking throught he parking lot, not saying another word.

Well, got news for you. This was not a situation in which your concealed weapon was good to you.
    You're weapon was not concealed when it became an asset to you.

Kw1P

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Mishawaka
    I also never drew or even made it visible my hand went under my sweat shirt on the handle my posture and where my hand was was enough to deter them not the actual sight of it

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I also never drew or even made it visible my hand went under my sweat shirt on the handle my posture and where my hand was was enough to deter them not the actual sight of it

Oh. Well you said "Upon recognition of what i had."

Anyway, I was just splitting hairs. Carry on. ;)

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    It's no different than OCing and using it as a deterrent. If making it known that I'm carrying a weapon to defend myself keeps someone at bay then I have no problem doing that. Acting like a "hardass" has nothing to do with it.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I do not own a concealed weapon. I carry them all openly. Even my retention knife. I am always visibly armed. That probably has a lot to do with why this has never happened to me.

Movealongmovealong

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Bloomington
    Flashing a gun like that can be a good way to get a felony intimidation charge (and permanent loss of gun owning rights), if guy and some of his "friends" come up with a story that you were over-reacting... if he didn't/doesn't have a weapon and, of course, you do have a gun concealed exactly where guy says you do if the cops show up, you might not be feeling like such a hero any more when they slap the cuffs on and toss you in the back.

It's just the way it works.

There are better alternatives (IMO) in a situation like that than escalating directly to a deadly force weapon and all of the potential legal ramifications associated with it.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Flashing a gun like that can be a good way to get a felony intimidation charge (and permanent loss of gun owning rights), if guy and some of his "friends" come up with a story that you were over-reacting... if he didn't/doesn't have a weapon and, of course, you do have a gun concealed exactly where guy says you do if the cops show up, you might not be feeling like such a hero any more when they slap the cuffs on and toss you in the back.

There are better alternatives (IMO) in a situation like that than escalating directly to a deadly force weapon and all of the potential legal ramifications associated with it.

Makes sense. You'd only be able to use reasonable force to stop them. Drawing a weapon is not likely to be perceived as reasonable unless the bum escalates to that criteria. But it looks like the bum could be charged with disorderly conduct if they won't leave you alone.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Same as most of these stories... when it's presence is not concealed. ;)

golf-clap.gif

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Makes sense. You'd only be able to use reasonable force to stop them. Drawing a weapon is not likely to be perceived as reasonable unless the bum escalates to that criteria. But it looks like the bum could be charged with disorderly conduct if they won't leave you alone.

I would not wait to reach for my weapon until a BG has begun to assault me. But I would also not draw unless he/them had a weapon in hand. 2 against 1 ain't good odds for you, better to have it in hand. I would give them a strong verbal command to STOP! If they keep coming you're way, their intentions were not good and what happens next is on them.:twocents:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Was in a state that recognizes the Indiana license. We were going to a down town festival and were forced to park in an area that didn't make me happy. The lot was safe, but the area between the lot and the festival was not where you go at night, or in the day it turned out. Even though it was a hot day I was wearing a windbreaker to cover my weapon. Glad I did.

As we were walking back to our car, I noticed a trio of stereotypes on a porch across the street. As we got directly across from them they stood up, and I just put my hand inside the jacket and rested it on my belt, close enough but not on my weapon and stared directly back at them. As soon as they saw me put my hand inside my jacket, they looked at each other and sat back down. Was never so glad to get back in my car, have it start and drive off.

I don't know what would have happened if they continued, and I never showed my weapon, but I guess that just the possibility that they might get hurt was enough to avoid a situation.

Sad times we live in, but it has always been this way, and regardless as to the feel good laws passed, it will always be this way. Just glad that some states still allow us our God given rights to self defense.

Fedempl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    McCordsville
    Good for all those that show the BG's have something to worry about if they continue to approach. Whether you OC or CC, it is not a crime, to take a defense stance, to prepare to defend yourself by either showing you are armed or to even grip your firearm.

Under IC 35-41-3-2 and 35-41-3-3, better known as the Indiana Stand Your Ground - Castle Doctrine Laws gives everyone the right to use reasonable force (including deadly force) necessary to protect yourself or a third person from what you reasonably believe to be the imminent use of unlawful force. If that reasonable force means taking a defense stance, putting your hand on your weapon or even in an extreme case may even include unholstering your weapon, even picking up a baseball bat, then you are allowed under the law to use that force.

The use of reasonable force also includes if/when it becomes necessary to effect an arrest or prevent an escape by a person other than law enforcement.

So, to the OP and the others, good job in standing your ground.

Plumber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2012
    heres one for you I was driving home from work one day when i found myself in a lone line orf traffic apperantly a couple of non residents were walking in the street holding up the traffic one by one the cars made their way pass them when it came to my turn I went around them and they started yelling things at me and makeing threats on how they will kick my butt and shoot me so as i turned the corner the stop light turned red thats when i decidied to get out of my truck and see what their problem was, they started yelling at me again and one said he would shoot me so I threw back my shirt reveling my sig and telling them i was ready go for it they quickly changed their tune and went the other way (thank god) but I guess what made me feel good about it was the people behind me cheered and some applauded .

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012

That's worth looking at. I'm no lawyer, but part of the Indiana code is the person being "intimidated" must be being intimidated due to a prior lawful act. I figure that means I can intimidate you all I want for an illegal act (pointing a firearm and the like are separate laws). Panhandling itself isn't illegal unless it meets certain requirements. I remember you can't do it near an ATM or after dark, but don't recall the rest or if multiple beggars change it. You'd probably want to know that, but I would guess that being aggressive about it is illegal.

Now I wasn't there and our imaginations will fill in details not provided, but I'm guessing the OP felt threatened or he wouldn't have acted as he did. Just remember being annoyed or hassled isn't the same as being threatened.

Top Bottom