• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I've lived in cities where panhandling was practically a sport. You start to recognize which guy works where and their ever changing and imaginative tactics.

See in the OP's case, they asked for change, he responds - NO. So they were just following him to make sure he really didn't have any.
    Where I come from that's called having an initiative and being thorough. :D

I can recall at least 2 occasions where I was swung on and missed because I told them NO. I do not miss living in a city. :boxing:

El-Cigarro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Flashing a gun like that can be a good way to get a felony intimidation charge (and permanent loss of gun owning rights), if guy and some of his "friends" come up with a story that you were over-reacting... if he didn't/doesn't have a weapon and, of course, you do have a gun concealed exactly where guy says you do if the cops show up, you might not be feeling like such a hero any more when they slap the cuffs on and toss you in the back.

It's just the way it works.

There are better alternatives (IMO) in a situation like that than escalating directly to a deadly force weapon and all of the potential legal ramifications associated with it.
    Like what??? :dunno:

MooreALX

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Hartford City
    There are better alternatives (IMO) in a situation like that than escalating directly to a deadly force weapon and all of the potential legal ramifications associated with it.

I'm not huge, and would never last in a fight if I weren't armed, that's why I carry in the first place.

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Flashing a gun like that can be a good way to get a felony intimidation charge (and permanent loss of gun owning rights), if guy and some of his "friends" come up with a story that you were over-reacting... if he didn't/doesn't have a weapon and, of course, you do have a gun concealed exactly where guy says you do if the cops show up, you might not be feeling like such a hero any more when they slap the cuffs on and toss you in the back.

Well for:

1. We are allowed to open carry here in the great state of Hoosiers. There are a great many of us who display our firearms on our person in public for a variety of in my opinion valid reasons which I will not reiterate here.

2. There is no brandishing law in Indiana.

3. I am not saying "Flashing, in your words....he didn't unholster it, he made it possibly visible IE might have had to lift his sweat shirt to grip it causing it to be visible, legal in our state and put his hand on it" your firearm is a good idea in a circumstance of danger of death or great bodily harm, I suggest pointing it at said problem and changing their bad attitude via a controlled explosion that results in the stoppage of said situation if one is in fear of the above.

Whether the OP was valid in using deadly force in his situation that he shared and his intended warning in an attempt to prevent its use is not my point. My point is, you seem to be confused about the laws of the state in which you live.

Last edited:

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    I'm not huge, and would never last in a fight if I weren't armed, that's why I carry in the first place.

I am not a large man myself, but, whats your plan when someone more powerful than you takes your firearm from you or it malfunctions and you cannot make your firearm run in time to save your life due to incapacitation or training? I am not trying to be mean or condescending in anyway but a gun will not protect you by itself.

I face the same problem (small built guy, I am 5'11 and 165 lbs) and am looking at force on force courses that include retention, have not decided on one yet but have made the decision that I need one. If your worried about not overcoming a fist fight a class might help you. :patriot:

Last edited:

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area

Felony intimidation charge would be a big streach. It is about your perceived threat and taking the appropriate action. No one actually pulled their weapon and pointed it at the person in question. A stranger following you to your car is grounds for at least putting your hand on your gun and confronting that person.

Thinking like that will get you into a fight for your life if you are not careful. When exactly do you think it is appropriate to show or draw your weapon? After he lunges at you and it becomes a fight for the weapon. I will use the least amount of force to keep that person at a comfortable distance for ME. If saying I do not have any change doesn't work then preparing to draw will be the next warning.

I haven't done any internet searches and don't really care to, but I am going to guess you will be hard pressed to find any criminals looking for an easy score that got shown a gun, then turned and called the cops.

Surely to offer such advice to everyone that had a similar story you have some proof that this actually does happen. Or is it that you just intend to discredit their actions with no intent to offer any suggestions on how to properly handle the situation.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Cool KW1P, funny how a single cange in your focus and stance, creates an understanding in those fools. They had to go target someone else.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I am not a large man myself, but, whats your plan when someone more powerful than you takes your firearm from you or it malfunctions and you cannot make your firearm run in time to save your life due to incapacitation or training? I am not trying to be mean or condescending in anyway but a gun will not protect you by itself.

I face the same problem (small built guy, I am 5'11 and 165 lbs) and am looking at force on force courses that include retention, have not decided on one yet but have made the decision that I need one. If your worried about not overcoming a fist fight a class might help you. :patriot:
    Totally agree. Should always have a back-up plan, or two, or three.
    The prepared or over prepared are always at an advantage.

I don't think everyone needs to me an MMA master, but it does not take much training to learn how to use someone elses actions against them.

Top Bottom