• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    That's kind of an odd stance to take. Perhaps you only ran into unmarked 30 round magazines between 1994 and 2004 because civilians couldn't legally buy the ones made in that 10 year period, and you only saw "pre-ban" magazines which were grandfathered and legal.

I sold both all through that time period, never saw a serial number.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    That's kind of an odd stance to take. Perhaps you only ran into unmarked 30 round magazines between 1994 and 2004 because civilians couldn't legally buy the ones made in that 10 year period, and you only saw "pre-ban" magazines which were grandfathered and legal.

The serial number that you think is there is actually a Cage Code that is used for identification of the manufacturer.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

Not an odd stance at all, seeing as how I was not restricted from buying any capacity magazine that I wanted between 1994 and 2004, and bought several LE/GOVT marked magazines with no serial numbers.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    In other news, the magazine shortage did not begin today. Shoot Point Blank in Greenwood had a wall full of Pmags this afternoon.

Mags still available and priced reasonably online, as well:

mags.jpg

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/6-for-5...-m2-moe-magazine-ar-15-223-5-56-30-round.html

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Serializing the floor plate would be a ridiculous idea, and completely ineffectual.
    Replacement floor plates can be purchased for "a dime a dozen" and swapped out.

That would leave the "prohibited magazines" unmarked, and untraceable.
    Now that I think about it, that does sound like a liberal wet dream.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Serializing the floor plate would be a ridiculous idea, and completely ineffectual.
    Replacement floor plates can be purchased for "a dime a dozen" and swapped out.

That would leave the "prohibited magazines" unmarked, and untraceable.
    Now that I think about it, that does sound like a liberal wet dream.

You have to remember that the people who wrote that law are the same ones who are concerned about the shoulder thing that goes up.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    John Lovell did a youtube video on why he loads all of his 30 round magazines to 29. He had some valid points in my opinion so even though mine ran fine loaded to 30, I'm going to start loading to 29. He values a tactical reload vs emergency and leaving one out makes it easier to seat the mag against a closed bolt.

AR mags, yes. AK mags, not so. This, in addition to shooting left handed, are reasons I prefer the AK platform.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ah, I see. My bad. Somehow I missed he was talking about an AK. Carry on.:)

i know he was talking about an AR tactical reload (link attached for those who care). I’m just presenting an alternate viewpoint. If you need all 30 and are reloading on an open bolt you’re probably in deep doo-doo anyway.

[video=youtube_share;yPdIXXjM9z8]http://youtu.be/yPdIXXjM9z8[/video]

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    i know he was talking about an AR tactical reload (link attached for those who care). I’m just presenting an alternate viewpoint. If you need all 30 and are reloading on an open bolt you’re probably in deep doo-doo anyway.

[video=youtube_share;yPdIXXjM9z8]http://youtu.be/yPdIXXjM9z8[/video]

well, then my bad again.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The serial number that you think is there is actually a Cage Code that is used for identification of the manufacturer.

CAGE (Commercial And Government Entity) Code: a five-digit alpha-numeric code which identifies the manufacturer. Sorry, Supply flashback!:laugh:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    AR mags, yes. AK mags, not so. This, in addition to shooting left handed, are reasons I prefer the AK platform.

I get the advantage of the rocking in and locking of an AK mag, and I would agree that's a more solid lock up than an AR mag with a full 30rds. For me though, the flaw of the AK mag is that it doesn't have a bolt hold open and I don't like finding out the rifle is empty because of click. I like knowing the gun is empty as soon as it's empty.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    I get the advantage of the rocking in and locking of an AK mag, and I would agree that's a more solid lock up than an AR mag with a full 30rds. For me though, the flaw of the AK mag is that it doesn't have a bolt hold open and I don't like finding out the rifle is empty because of click. I like knowing the gun is empty as soon as it's empty.

Surplus Yugos and other mag varieties are BHO. They are handy, but generally with AK pattern guns the bolt still rides home when you remove the empty mag. This can be solved with any number of aftermarket safety selectors with a BHO notch, or by cutting a notch into your factory selector.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Surplus Yugos and other mag varieties are BHO. They are handy, but generally with AK pattern guns the bolt still rides home when you remove the empty mag. This can be solved with any number of aftermarket safety selectors with a BHO notch, or by cutting a notch into your factory selector.

I never had any luck with the yugo BHO mags, and the plastic follower replacements just wore out so quickly I just didn't want to bet on them. Could have been the AK's I was using them in, but that reason alone is enough for me to just stick with my beloved AR.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom