• ...and so much more!
  • Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    This page is full of WIN! I need to take a picture of my 686-4 Lew Horton but it's wearing its ugly rubber Hogue and not the nice Rosewood grip.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I don't know how my post came out as 686-4. I don't have one of those. Mine's a 629-4 in .44 Mag. All the pretty pics got me excited I guess. :thatshot:

drumsscott

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Carmel
    Thr spacer tool was on the shopping list as well. Having been to the range with it now, I think a fiber optic front sight will be going on the list. I really struggled with the kinda orange ramp front sight. It disappears too easily for me.

You should be able to purchase the white or yellow ramp sites as well..

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    ^ that is a pretty Python!

So here’s an educational question, why is the Python so popular/valuable? Is it stronger than the other options of the time? Is it more accurate/overall just better? Or is it more of the collectors side of things with lower production? The cliff notes answer is perfectly acceptable.

I read & hear about it like it’s a mythical thing, along with the other snake guns. Just haven’t seen an answer as to why, except because it’s a snake gun. Is this like the 1911s and Colts? Where the answer “Because it’s a Colt” is main answer?

drumsscott

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Carmel
    The Python hands down, is the most accurate and smoothest shooting 357 ever made in my opinion. It was all hand assembled and the workmanship, finish, attention to detail and the smoothness of the trigger is pretty remarkable. Like all Colt revolvers, the cylinder rotates in the frame for an extremely tight lock-up. The Python barrel has a ventilated rib on top and a full length solid underlug which offers more stability when shooting. Since the Python is no longer in production and thanks to the Walking Dead those are 2 biggest reasons why the value increased over the years.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Well crap, I've been bitten by the revolver bug. None of you are a good influence. :): I was perfectly happy with my under budget DW until I started browsing the interwebs. I picked up a great 357 and had cash left over. Now I have two Dan Wessons and no cash left over. Sigh... easy come, easy go I suppose. It's the point of play money though isn't it?

I found a 22lr Dan Wesson out in CO, it arrived today. The ad listed it as a 22LR 6" barrel. Turns out it is actually has a 8" vented heavy barrel. This weighs the better part of 54oz, it's a monster. Testing the trigger (with snap caps), it feels very similar to the 357. Similar pull weights and movement.

SfEhusF.jpg

Top is the 22LR and the bottom is the 357.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    NNUA2IXh.jpg

Changed up the ammo, tested the new Federal HST 38spl +p and was not getting good penetration, while the Federal 125gr SJHP 357mag was just too hot. This Gold-Dot is a really good compromise giving me less recoil and keeping close to the same penetration as the Federal 357mag

Top Bottom