• EDC Caliber

• Total voters

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    Yet, Parabellum is WIDELY used and manufactured by the droves...so why aren't they milking that for all it's worth?

I'm no marketing guru but, maybe that's just it. The 9mm, as you said, has been manufactured by the droves for a long, long, time, whereas the newer .380s (Ruger, Kel-Tec, et al) have clearly been marketed to a new generation of people interested in SD. In spite of the fact that the .380 has been around so long (so, why all the hoopla?), the Emperor has got some new clothes (the newer .380's marketing), and everyone and their brother wants one.

Comparatively speaking, when was the last "new thing/development" for 9mm firearms that was anything like the plethora of .380 pocket pistols hitting the market? It follows that, since the .380 handguns are so much more popular these days, the price of the ammo can be set at the level of popularity (in spite of being a lighter bullet, smaller casing, and less powder). Essentially, you're not paying for the raw material, you're paying for the popularity of the round ...manufactures will charge what the market will bear.

evsnova74

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Near-east Indy
    I did a lot of research and like a lot of people I had it narrowed down to 9mm, .40 and .45. Well .40 seemed to be such a perfect compromise but I read a lot of complaints about recoil being "snappy". Dunno what it means but apparently it's bad, lol. Then I saw an ad for a glock23 that also came with a 9mm barrel and mags. My plan was, shoot a couple hundred .40 rounds to see if I'm a recoil wussy and if I am, I'll have the 9mm setup to fall back on. Idk if it's because I'm a noob and don't really have anything to compare it to, but it seemed fine to me, so I carry .40 and will practice with 9mm now.

ret

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    9mm because: rd capacity, penetration, deep into GLOCK 9mm platform, (rifle included), ammo cost (shoot a lot)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I like .45 ACP over the others. Just a personal choice. My daily carry is 12+1 so capacity is high enough, my secondary carry is a 14+1 so 9 or 40 has no advantage. I have shot .45 since my uncles taught me to shoot with their Gov. issue 1911's in 1962, I was 12. I can hit as well with them as anybody shooting a 9/40. I have shot both but prefer .45 ACP. It is like an old friend.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    BTT for Bacon

j9ll4p.jpg

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    If driving to and from work, I keep the Keltec PF9 (9mm) in my Jeep. If Im out and about on weekends, then I have my 1911 .45 on my hip

Top Bottom