• ...and so much more!
  • ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    Food for thought

I had a cat a few years ago get FIP Feline Infectious Peritonitis (FIP)

Normally not a cat person but this cat was great. He acted more like a dog as he would always run to great you when you came home and shadowed your every move. Anyway it started off by not eating, snotty nose, and not acting normal. Then he had a seizure that was caused by a high fever that we didn't know about. The vet tired the normal antibiotics and such to no avail. Finally agreed to some testing that came to around $600. They found lesions on a few organs and recommend surgery for the tune a $1000+ which wasn't an option for us. I did a lot of researching and stumbled across FIP. I called the vet and he agreed that it was likely the case and there wasn't much we could do. Long story short the cat would have some good days and some bad days. Then all of a sudden he started to act like his normal self for a few days in a row which was great. However things took turn down hill fast within a couple more days he started to have issues walking and limping real bad and then started to loose control of bodily functions. We put him down right away cause it was easy to tell that he was suffering. All of the happened in less than a months time.

Keep a close eye on your cat. I think ours started to act normal a few days before he died because he gave up the fight. People in my family that are in the medical field seem to think that they have seen terminally ill people do the same once they give up. They seem to perk up right be for they die. Not saying this is the case for you but sometimes what seems to be a common cold or sickness turns out to be something much more severe.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I acknowledge that some people are very emotionally attached to their animals, but I will never understand it.

Run of the mill pet type animals are literally a dime a dozen. Most people can't even give them away.

Rhoadmar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The farm
    In my considered opinion, unless you are very well off, you have a real problem with reality. Love your pets. Fine. Spend more on your pets than you can afford? That's a judgement problem, the consequences of which, you'll have to deal with. Animals are not people. Good company? Much of the time, yes. I enjoy the critters I am responsible for. I spend money to get them vaccinated. I make sure they have food and fresh water. I help clean up after them. If they need put down, I don't abdicate that job to the vet or make the last memory of my little buddies be a place they fear like the vets office. I cry like a little child and comfort them in a familiar place and the coup de grace comes unseen and swiftly at the back of the skull. My dog, my responsibility. I haven't had the need to make soup of one yet. IMO, many pet owners are off the rails of reality when their "babies" (Makes me cringe when people call them that) need $500 worth of surgery and they can't feed their kid and the cat still goes to the vet.

I'm sure b4 we get very far there will be examples,(if there haven't been already) of people spending crazy money on pets. Your money, your choice. My freedom in this country allows me to voice my opinion that you're wrong if that negatively impacts your children.:ranton::chillpill:
    Mrs. Gungho, I know you to be a good person and my intent was not to make you feel insulted. For that I apologize, but. I'm entitled to my own reasoned opinion. Just as you are to yours.

:rockwoot: This I agree with. Anthropomorphizing animals is strange. I love my pets and when one needs to be put down the scenario looks a lot like you described. OP, hope your cat recovers. Ours have had similar symptoms aand it turned out to be poisoning from lawn chemicals or consuming a poisoned rodent. One recovered the other did not.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Well woke up this morning and tecumseh was laying in front of a fan asleep with his eyes closed since he has been sleeping with his eyes open I would assume thats a good thing. he is getting his meow back it seems and he is sitting on my lap purring like a motor boat. Vet says it may be something simple that is just exaggerated by the heat. He is still not himself but is acting a little better and he doesnt smell as bad.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    In honor of this tread, I'm gonna let my dog eat supper at the table tonight with the rest of the family (and include her in the conversations), then I'm gonna take $1000 out of my kids college fund and buy her a nice diamond-studded collar.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    In honor of this tread, I'm gonna let my dog eat supper at the table tonight with the rest of the family (and include her in the conversations), then I'm gonna take $1000 out of my kids college fund and buy her a nice diamond-studded collar.
    Lol. Had to rep. I love my pets, but they are not my kids. Harley, if your dogs were attacking your children or grandchildren would you actually just let it happen? I have to say I would stop the dog by any means necessary.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    It could be any number of things. I had a cat who started acting that way and it turned out to be liver cancer. I wondered, though, because the dog started acting the same way later.

There was no running free outdoors; fenced yard, etc. Still both had liver cancer, according to the vet.

We had to put them down.

Josh

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    forgop So i should be cruel and just let him possibly suffer and die? I am trying to be humane and ethical.

I want to thank everyone that has offered to help with the bills (i think we have it figured out) and those who have recommended clinics. I have recieved several messages on here and several texts on my phone from members of this forum. It never ceases to amaze me the kindness and generosity the members of this forum display. I feel truly blessed to be a part of such a community.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    No way. I'm not a cat person by any stretch of the imagination.
    Pink's been with us since she was 5wks old, but she's MiniJet's cat (8 or 9 years now) and MJ moved out into an apartment that doesn't allow pets.
    I'm totally a dog person... and when my four-legged boy died 13 years ago, I never "replaced" him either.
    Soooo...
    *Bzzzzzz* Sorry, your answer is wrong. On all counts.

I've never "replaced" any of my dogs either.

I've moved on and got new ones when they pass, but none of them have been replaceable.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Lol. Had to rep. I love my pets, but they are not my kids. Harley, if your dogs were attacking your children or grandchildren would you actually just let it happen? I have to say I would stop the dog by any means necessary.

Welll......ain' GOT them kind'a dogs here, dude...... mine's very social......ta the point they don' know ta be a'fear'd o' nuth'n.....even sumthin' dangerous to'em....:rolleyes:

I'll lose this'n soon.......she's on borrow'd time......:(

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Welll......ain' GOT them kind'a dogs here, dude...... mine's very social......ta the point they don' know ta be a'fear'd o' nuth'n.....even sumthin' dangerous to'em....:rolleyes:

I'll lose this'n soon.......she's on borrow'd time......:(

Bummer, sorry to hear that. Looks like a big ol' sweetheart.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    I acknowledge that some people are very emotionally attached to their animals, but I will never understand it.

Run of the mill pet type animals are literally a dime a dozen. Most people can't even give them away.

An' ya prolly never will......born in my hands, an' know'd my voice.....a'fore they could even see.....

Dime a dozen?........hardly.........:noway:

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Do you always talk like that or is it just in this thread?

Maybe he got into some poison or something like the cat. We could start a new thread titled "what's wrong with Harley?"
    Sorry Harley, you can't be all bad if you love dogs, hopefully you can take a joke! :p

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    forgop So i should be cruel and just let him possibly suffer and die? I am trying to be humane and ethical.

I want to thank everyone that has offered to help with the bills (i think we have it figured out) and those who have recommended clinics. I have recieved several messages on here and several texts on my phone from members of this forum. It never ceases to amaze me the kindness and generosity the members of this forum display. I feel truly blessed to be a part of such a community.

:ingo:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Actually, I met him at a gun show one time and it turns out he speaks the King's English, with impeccable diction and form.

(not really, but that's how I imagine it.)

lololol

Maybe he got into some poison or something like the cat. We could start a new thread titled "what's wrong with Harley?"
    Sorry Harley, you can't be all bad if you love dogs, hopefully you can take a joke! :p

I guess. It's not even teenage girl speak where you use a bunch of acronyms and abreviations to make the text quicker. That takes longer than just talking like a normal human being with 46 chromosomes.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Harley that's some good looking dogs you got there. They remind me of the ones I have.

OP hope your cat gets better.

Top Bottom