I read your comment to Pink... she says, and I quote;

3_20_13_zpsba799222.jpg

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    First off I dont have the money for the vet and Im trying to get it together so I will ask here in the mean time. My cat is normally real fat loves to eat and is constantly wanting my attention. But here lately he hasn't been eating, just lays around, wont close his eyes even while asleep, and smells like dead fish. He is also drooling blowing snot bubble with his nose and has lost a ton weight. His meow is also gone. Anyone know what is wrong? I know i sound like the eharmony cat lady but he is my buddy and Im worried.

Im sorry to tell you but your cat has feline leukemia. It will be fatal in either a few weeks OR a few years or so. Some cats are carriers of it and it just makes them sick on and off for 2-3 years while the rest of the cats infected with it die from it in a few weeks or so. It is highly contageous to other cats.

Feline Leukemia is nothing like human leukemia. Feline leukemia can be compared to a very strong flu with the mucus discharge out of the eyes and nose. There is a vaccination for it but that is useless once a cat already has the disease. The vaccination runs around $30-$40.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I asked around and so far haven't found anyone that has treated their yards or anything. But two of our neighbors have admitted to poisoning animals in the past and one of them actually shot an old cat we had in the face with a .22 the cat survived which makes him hate us even more. But I will wait until I know for sure what is going on.

Wow ...sounds like you need to move! Id have some neighbors with some unexlained flat tires and engines missing all the oil upon startup. Black Ops missions! :rockwoot:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Sure you do... he just happens to have 4 legs. ;)

Meh, I disagree. I've loved every dog I've ever owned and will do anything within my means to keep them safe and healthy, but dogs aren't children. Family members? Absolutely.

I'm not selling all of my assets to save a dog though. My son? I'll travel to the gates of hell to keep him safe.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Thanks remauto for bringing that up I have never heard of it. It does look alot like that

hoosierdoc his gums seem a bit paler than normal and while looking at his gums i realized the horrible smell is coming from his mouth if that means anything.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Thanks remauto for bringing that up I have never heard of it. It does look alot like that

hoosierdoc his gums seem a bit paler than normal and while looking at his gums i realized the horrible smell is coming from his mouth if that means anything.

:dunno:......could be LOT'a things......kidney fail'n/failure......dental disease......how old's 'is cat?

GregD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    My cat wouldn't eat and just laid around around. It turned to be just a bad tooth. In just a few days she was back to eating well and active.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Find a way to get it to the vet. Cat's are tough, and for them to show illness means something is astray. He deserves at least one round with the vet to determine what's what. Good luck to you both.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    We've had a few test positive for feline leukemia and didn't put them down until it got to the point that they were suffering. Once they no longer respond to antibiotics during a period of illness, there isn't much that can be done for them. By the time they were diagnosed, all of our other cats had already been exposed so we didn't put them down immediately. It was not a death sentence to the others as the last one put down was several years ago and we have at least 6 outdoor cats that are 15 and older.

We have a few that have had dental issues and had teeth pulled. One had a tooth so infected that it made his eye cloud over and he was blind in it. Once he was treated with antibiotics and the tooth that was causing this was removed, his eye cleared up as well. With the dental issues, he never had the runny nose and such that the OP described.

I would be inclined to also say feline leukemia is a strong possibility. The test for that is not horribly expensive. I want to say it is about $15 but it may be more now.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    OP, get the cat to a vet ASAP. If I was closer I would give you some money and the cat a ride to the vet. Hope all goes well.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    First off I dont have the money for the vet and Im trying to get it together so I will ask here in the mean time. My cat is normally real fat loves to eat and is constantly wanting my attention. But here lately he hasn't been eating, just lays around, wont close his eyes even while asleep, and smells like dead fish. He is also drooling blowing snot bubble with his nose and has lost a ton weight. His meow is also gone. Anyone know what is wrong? I know i sound like the eharmony cat lady but he is my buddy and Im worried.

Is the smell coming from his mouth or his sinuses?

My first thought would be that perhaps the cat needs a dental or has a respiratory infection. Either of which can be treated fairly inexpensively with antibiotics.

Look in his mouth to see if there is lots of plague, redness or any swelling. If possible look at his tongue. Does it look normal or does it have sores? Smell his mouth. Does it smell infected?

Are his gums nice and pink or are they pale? If his gums are pale he needs to be seen ASAP.

If it's his mouth he may be in too much pain to eat. If he has a respiratory infection he may not be able to smell the food to want to eat.

I'm not a vet but I work for a non for profit vet clinic. If you are up to driving to the Wayne County area, it's about an hour and a half drive from Marion, we have walk in vet clinics every Mon-Wed and Fri from noon to 4:30. It's only $10 to see the vet plus the cost of any meds if required. If he needs a dental it's usually only $75. To test for feline leukemia it only costs $20.

Make sure you keep him hydrated. Gently pull his skin up, does it immediately go back to his frame or stay up momentarily? If the skin goes back in place he is hydrated, if it stays up he is either dehydrated or not far from it. If he is dehydrated he needs to be seen ASAP.

Due to the drooling, Feline Leukemia wouldn't be the top of my list of possible more serious conditions to worry about if it isn't a simple dental condition or respiratory infection.

Things that come to mind for me if the mouth is real yucky would be stomatitis or Feline Calicivirus

Feline Stomatitis in Cats - Veterinary Dental Care for Cats - Minnesota Wisconsin

Feline Calicivirus Infection in Cats | petMD

My clinic doesn't take care credit. Not sure of any locally that actually do.

If you are interested in a road trip to get him seen let me know and I will give you directions to the clinic. If anyone is interested in helping you with the vet bills I can take credit cards over the phone for payment.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Last cat I had that had foul stenchy breath had bitten his tongue nearly in half somehow and had gotten gangrenous. Vet clipped off the front half and treated with antibiotics. He was fine for many yrs afterward. Could even still lap up milk with half a tongue.

He was our native American halfbreed cat. Thomas Half Tongue.. Polydactyl too. 6 toes on both front paws.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Sorry Pink, but it's true. When you go she'll have another.:wavey::dunno::dunno:

No way. I'm not a cat person by any stretch of the imagination.
    Pink's been with us since she was 5wks old, but she's MiniJet's cat (8 or 9 years now) and MJ moved out into an apartment that doesn't allow pets.
    I'm totally a dog person... and when my four-legged boy died 13 years ago, I never "replaced" him either.
    Soooo...
    *Bzzzzzz* Sorry, your answer is wrong. On all counts.

Top Bottom