What's up with the anemic crowd at the Brickyard ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Super Bee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    A lot of the drivers today bring sponser's with them Some have bottomless check books. Skills are not the only thing.

Danica with Go Daddy is the perfect example. Now with Go Daddy pulling their funding, I am curious if she will be done with SHR after the end of the year.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Danica with Go Daddy is the perfect example. Now with Go Daddy pulling their funding, I am curious if she will be done with SHR after the end of the year.

Running a solid 16th to 20th every race may well be why they are pulling the funding. The only one on the team running worse is the boss.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    I've been the last two years now. This year definitely appeared to have more people than last (at least from our seats coming out of turn 4). Of the 6 of us, only two actually follow NASCAR throughout the year. The rest of us are just enjoying a weekend at IMS. We had an enjoyable weekend without paying too terribly much. It's great that you can bring in your own coolers with food and cold beverages so that you really don't have to spend a dime once you're inside.

I think it's all about what you make of it. We just make a weekend out of it. Spent most of Saturday at IMS, then hit the Indians game downtown that night, then out downtown for awhile, then the Brickyard on Sunday. All in all, we had a great time.

In '08 we sat in a corporate bought block of seats at the exit of turn 4 and seats were full all the way down to the paddock. Didn't look like a single soul in that area this year. I wonder if those corporate blocks got priced out of range for businesses this year?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I dont buy it at all, the stands are empty. I have been there several times for the Brickyard and I have never seen them that empty.

Just curious of others opinions, why is NASCARs ratings and attendance down so much?

It didn't help when half the season went to cable/satellite only. I quit paying attention then.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I don't follow racing all that much, but know people who are really into it. I went to my first Indy 500 three years ago, then went to the second one the year following. I skipped this year. I actually went to one of the better races (in recent times) according to some. There was lots of passing, minimal cautions. That is what I liked. Another issue though is that prices are high for everything. I read about NASCAR attendance back in 2009/2010 when the economy tanked. I don't believe the economy every really came back. I know people who lost jobs found jobs, but in many cases they are working for a lot less money. My guess is that those NASCAR fans who were middle income had to really cut expenses, and since the races were on TV, why spends hundreds or thousands going to the races in person when you could save that money or something else?

One friend raced sprint cars and said back in the day, some of those lower tier series would have all sorts of folks showing up at the tracks to race. He said costs have just went up, way up, so now fewer people can afford to even get into that hobby, or whatever you want to call it. I know for sprint cars a person almost needs to have the following just to get to the race: A truck that can pull a trailer, a trailer, and a 4-wheeler to push start the sprint car. That is just a ton of money and that is just a part of the cost.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I don't follow racing all that much, but know people who are really into it. I went to my first Indy 500 three years ago, then went to the second one the year following. I skipped this year. I actually went to one of the better races (in recent times) according to some. There was lots of passing, minimal cautions. That is what I liked. Another issue though is that prices are high for everything. I read about NASCAR attendance back in 2009/2010 when the economy tanked. I don't believe the economy every really came back. I know people who lost jobs found jobs, but in many cases they are working for a lot less money. My guess is that those NASCAR fans who were middle income had to really cut expenses, and since the races were on TV, why spends hundreds or thousands going to the races in person when you could save that money or something else?

One friend raced sprint cars and said back in the day, some of those lower tier series would have all sorts of folks showing up at the tracks to race. He said costs have just went up, way up, so now fewer people can afford to even get into that hobby, or whatever you want to call it. I know for sprint cars a person almost needs to have the following just to get to the race: A truck that can pull a trailer, a trailer, and a 4-wheeler to push start the sprint car. That is just a ton of money and that is just a part of the cost.

Unfortunately racing at any level, if you wish to be competitive, has gotten ridiculously expensive relative to the type of racing you do. For me a set of 4 tires will run $1500 per set. If I wanted to race competitively I'd be looking at 2-3 sets per year. Having a real job with real obligations that just isn't doable so I'll dabble for fun when I can.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Correct. This IS a problem.

Excitement falls at the hottest, most humid time of the year also.

We can talk about high pay TV subscriber rates all day long, but the major networks still hold sway.

Ask yourself- what was the big NFL game that everyone talked about the next day 20 years ago (regardless of you team affiliation)? Monday Night Football on ABC.

What is it today? Is it Monday Night Football on ESPN? Absolutely not. It's Sunday Night Football on NBC.

The networks still matter.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    OK, I'll be the one to go there...

Too many foreigners in IndyCar, too many college boys in NASCAR.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    A lot of the drivers today bring sponser's with them Some have bottomless check books. Skills are not the only thing.

Don't forget driving for a four or five car team that can afford lots of time in the rolling road wind tunnel and can work on good set-ups with 5X the number of cars.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Growing up right down the street from the back gates to the Speedway I have seen this thing transition from the mid 50's through my time on the starting grid till now.

In the day the drivers would rent rooms from the locals and eat at the local joints with the fans. There were actual friends ships. Drivers would Qualify on Saturday morning and be running a show at Winchester or Salem Saturday night. They mingled, were accessible. I have seen The cars emerge from local Garages on open flat trailers and get towed into the track behind a station wagon packed to the gills with tools/gear.

JC Agajanians car (Yellow with an Apple on the tail front engine Offy) sat outside on a trailer an entire summer and into the winter outside the house by the west gate on 30th st. before it was covered up and sat out until the next race. It was gone one day and when the track opened there it was rolling hard.

Point.....it has all changed and not for the better.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I must admit haven't been much of a nascar fan. Live an hour from Mid Ohio sports car course. For me a racecar doesn't have a carburetor so it CAN'T have a restrictor plate, the cars turn right AND left, they have rain tires and the race runs no matter what the WX does. As for the drivers, everytime the show went to a road course a lot of teams brought in ringers (ala Boris Said).

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I was all set to become an American LeMans fan a few years ago...but that seemed to fall flat. Now I'm starting to watch more Rally Cross and I like the racing- the flat billed, skater-type drivers....I'll just say: less interviews, more racing.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I must admit haven't been much of a nascar fan. Live an hour from Mid Ohio sports car course. For me a racecar doesn't have a carburetor so it CAN'T have a restrictor plate, the cars turn right AND left, they have rain tires and the race runs no matter what the WX does. As for the drivers, everytime the show went to a road course a lot of teams brought in ringers (ala Boris Said).

Fond memory's at Mid-Ohio...4 shows at that track.

Ran with this team in the mid-80's

Pics at the Columbus street course race.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Fond memory's at Mid-Ohio...4 shows at that track.

Ran with this team in the mid-80's

Pics at the Columbus street course race.

The Ford Dealers 500. I was working the corners or fire and safety for all of those CM. You gotta love IMSA. V6s,V8s, V12s. 1.5 litre twin sequentially turbo-charged toyotas making over 1000bhp. Sigh. Another FINE series destroyed by greed. I still have a piece of Jag carbon fiber from a shunt clean-up

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    I have reliable sources that tell me a shortage of beer led people to the realization they were actually watching NASCAR.

Top Bottom