What's up with the anemic crowd at the Brickyard ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Seriously, I'd love to see a true STOCK car race.
    Take a stock car, and build it however you want (and can afford), and race it.
    Run what you brung!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I agree with CM, Miguel, and others. They've taken much of the entertainment out of it. Plus, for me, I've gotten to where I'd rather sit in the best seat of the (my) house and watch it on a HD TV instead of spending $100s for one afternoon of entertainment.

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    unfortunately, interest in racing in general is declining; pretty much all racing series are in decline. I'm an Indycar fan and it's really hard to be an Indycar fan these days for most of the reasons stated above.

On a side note, IMS holds about 250k in the stands, that's a TON of seats to fill!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Stock car racing used to be just that, race on Sunday, sell on Monday. High ticket prices, homogenized race cars, and the logistics of travel have made it a less exciting and more expensive venue. Nothing is going to change really, expect wider tv blackouts, pay per view, and other punitive solutions for increasing the declining revenue.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I was thinking the same thing the other day when I heard something about the race on the radio. I didn't even realize it was already that time because I don't hear anyone talking about it these days. No coworkers or friends.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    It's weird seeing that many empty seats at that track.
    even though the Brickyard is the most boring race of the whole series, they've always (in the past) done a good job filling seats.
    the first ten years or so, it was pretty much a sell out.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Bernie (F-1) is being Pro-Active to dwindling crowds. He is speaking out about going backwards to Flat bottom cars, Wide tires, 1000 HP V-10's. Drive the cars.

NAPCAR needs to step back in time as well but the damage may well be done.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I have been involved with that facility since my 1st visit in 1958. 18 years on the starting grid standing by a car I helped build. I have a deep affection for the place.
    I am all for using it for F-1/NAPCAR/bike racing etc. just do not mess around with the rules. They nearly killed the 500 with Spec racing and NAPCAR is following right behind them. It is all about the ruling body raking in the cash.

PM sent. I'm more bitter than a hater. The PM will explain it... :laugh:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    There are all kinds of things happening, a few for public consumption, and tons happening behind the scenes, to neuter the entire thing.
    I'm no racing fan at all...always move on when channel surfing and see a race on, but even I can see that.

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I personally stopped watching and going to races when the "cautions" always coincided with the big teams driver needing a lap back. In my opinion, they legalized cheating for the big teams and sponsors.

Super Bee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Anyone see his victory lap in the convertible, he and his wife waving to the empty stands. Except for a couple hundred people at the start/finish line, everyone else cleared out.

Super Bee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I personally stopped watching and going to races when the "cautions" always coincided with the big teams driver needing a lap back. In my opinion, they legalized cheating for the big teams and sponsors.

For me it was the cautions at the end of the race for "debris" to bunch up the field because someone was running away with the race. I know they did this as I worked with a NASCAR official for 8 years at a previous job. The things he told me. . .

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I heard the TV announcers every week saying "Little E, Jimmy, Jeff or Tony should sure use a caution right now." Then BAM a caution for a candy wrapper being somewhere on the track. Very strange.......

I personally rather watch Lance race with one nut and veins full of juice. Or Barry hit a 550' blast into the cove. Those days are gone, but yet NASCAR still gets to cheat.

Top Bottom