What's up with the anemic crowd at the Brickyard ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I went to the inaugural 400 race and again in 2008 and the place was packed both times.

Has NASCAR effectively crapped in their own punch bowl ?
    Rep inbound for "crapped in their own punch bowl".

Super Bee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    On T V, they claim ticket sales are up 15-20%..... To watch "Jeffies" last run .....

I dont buy it at all, the stands are empty. I have been there several times for the Brickyard and I have never seen them that empty.

Just curious of others opinions, why is NASCARs ratings and attendance down so much?

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Agree with Churchmouse, to many rules. All the cars have to follow one template. What happened to STOCK car racing. Nascar also getting to involved in all the bulls##t PC! I hardly ever watch anymore, and i went to the first 10 Brickyards.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    I dont buy it at all, the stands are empty. I have been there several times for the Brickyard and I have never seen them that empty.

Just curious of everyones opinion, why is NASCARs rating and attendance down so much?

It's not just Indy it's the same or worse at other tracks . The lower echelons , truck series and Xfinity races are so sparsely attended you'll notice the tv cameras are careful to avoid grandstand shots if possible.
    I think Nascar, the racetrack owners and related vending , by vending I mean everything associated with race attendance like accommodation, dining etc. simply priced themselves into decline, this seems to have really got rolling a few years ago when gas prices began hitting the $4 level. The high gas prices , not Nascar's doing but did add to the other already high and rising attendance costs to the point that decline began. You can only choke so many golden eggs out of said goose .

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Agree with Churchmouse, to many rules. All the cars have to follow one template. What happened to STOCK car racing. Nascar also getting to involved in all the bulls##t PC! I hardly ever watch anymore, and i went to the first 10 Brickyards.

That whole program is PC.....level the playing field. They mandate spring and shock combo's, gear ratio's and on and on. Idiots have ruined it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It's not just Indy it's the same or worse at other tracks . The lower echelons , truck series and Xfinity races are so sparsely attended you'll notice the tv cameras are careful to avoid grandstand shots if possible.
    I think Nascar, the racetrack owners and related vending , by vending I mean everything associated with race attendance like accommodation, dining etc. simply priced themselves into decline, this seems to have really got rolling a few years ago when gas prices began hitting the $4 level. The high gas prices , not Nascar's doing but did add to the other already high and rising attendance costs to the point that decline began. You can only choke so many golden eggs out of said goose .

The ruling class in NAPCAR...(I fall asleep watching these goat ropes) call it an entertainment package. It is a freaking race, a gladiator sport.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T

I'd rather go to a USAC or WoO race or watch WRC on TV. THAT is real racing.

1. In NASCAR the cars are all the same. For all the crap the IRL got about "spec racing" back in the day, what the hell is NASCAR then?

2. They have turned it into a politically correct media spectacle. Everything is done in the name of sponsorship and economics, not for racing or racers.

Honestly, it has fallen victim to its own success and is typical of most all big league sports. They tend to sell out their fan base that has been loyal for decades in order to get another 10% of the population to watch so they can make another $500 million on TV deals and sponsorships. Hockey does that by putting teams in dumb ass markets like Miami, Tampa, Arizona, North Carolina and Dallas. Remember the Atlanta Flames? Or the Atlanta Thrashers? Big hockey town, Atlanta... God forbid Ontario gets another team, however!

The NFL is about the only group run worth a damn these days but even they are starting to sell out with the new regime. I guess baseball doesn't grovel too much, but it's so boring, they know it can only grow so much with the short attention span people have in the 21st century. :laugh:

p.s. I think it is funny the Brickyard is crapping out. But I'm a dick who only wanted the 500 there from Day 1.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    1. The cars are all the same. For all the crap the IRL got about "spec racing" back in the day, what the hell is NASCAR then?

2. They have turned it into a politically correct media spectacle. Everything is done in the name of sponsorship and economics, not for racing or racers.

Honestly, it has fallen victim to its own success and is typical of most all big league sports. They tend to sell out their fan base that has been loyal for decades in order to get another 10% of the population to watch so they can make another $500 million on TV deals and sponsorships. Hockey does that by putting teams in dumb ass markets like Miami, Tampa, Arizona, North Carolina and Dallas. Remember the Atlanta Flames? Or the Atlanta Thrashers? Big hockey town, Atlanta... God forbid Ontario gets another team, however!

The NFL is about the only group run worth a damn these days but even they are starting to sell out with the new regime. I guess baseball doesn't grovel too much, but it's so boring, they know it can only grow so much with the short attention span people have in the 21st century. :laugh:

p.s. I think it is funny the Brickyard is crapping out. But I'm a dick who only wanted the 500 there from Day 1.

I have been involved with that facility since my 1st visit in 1958. 18 years on the starting grid standing by a car I helped build. I have a deep affection for the place.
    I am all for using it for F-1/NAPCAR/bike racing etc. just do not mess around with the rules. They nearly killed the 500 with Spec racing and NAPCAR is following right behind them. It is all about the ruling body raking in the cash.

funeralweb

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    The Brickyard telecast actually shows the abysmal crowd like it's acceptable. Watch most other weekends and the camera rarely shows the "crowd". The early NASCAR years at Indy had crowds this big for qualifying! Wake me up in 50 laps....

Top Bottom