• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    What's the smallest 45acp for carry? I'm looking for the PF9 equivalent in 45acp.

I was just looking into what the smallest 45acp out there is for carrying. Only catch is that it must be a semi auto.

I'm also curious if anyone here is carrying the glock 36 slim 45acp. Seems like that's one glock that's had some mixed reviews on quality/reliabilty.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    What's the smallest 45acp for carry? I'm looking for the PF9 equivalent in 45acp.

I've got the Springfield Micro Compact you can shoot any time you want to try it. We can meet at Youngs or H&H if you're interested.

Also have an HK45C, but it isn't all that small. The 45C is more a scaled down primary service weapon.

Last edited:

Mech45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    NWI
    KAHR PM-45 is one of my CC guns in warm weather. It is available from the factory with a nitride finish and night sites. It is accurate for such a short barrel and has a great trigger once you get used to it. 230 gr speer gold dot short barrel ammo is what I use in it.

Chris

GregD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    I'm surprised that no one has said anything about the Glock 30 or 36. As you can tell by my avatar I'm a 1911 guy, but the Glock 36 seems to be the closes to what the OP is looking for. :twocents:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm surprised that no one has said anything about the Glock 30 or 36. As you can tell by my avatar I'm a 1911 guy, but the Glock 36 seems to be the closes to what the OP is looking for. :twocents:

Hey I mentioned the glock 36, but it's hard to find reviews on it anywhere. I read some surprisingly bad reviews on the 36 last night and that's what has me thinking that it might not be on the same level of quality as the other glocks in the line up.

In an ideal world I'd also consider buying a glock 29 in 10mm because I already reload 10mm and have the ammo on hand, but the 29 seems a little too bulky even though I could run the same mags in it as I do my G20. It never hurts to diversify and that's what's got me thinking about the 45acp.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I just sold my pf9 the other day. No problems with it at all and it was a reliable gun. I just think if I'm going to need a carry gun I may as well get one that shoots a bigger bullet. Not trying to start a 9mm vs 45 vs 10mm discussion, just want something bigger.

Bang-bang

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Indy/Homeplace/Carmel
    I have the g36 and love it, it's my edc. I can hide it very easy , but I'm a bit on the large size 6'3". I ve put tons of rounds thru it. IT's GREAT! You must have a good grip. If you buy 1 and dont like it let me know , I might buy from you. Whats better than 1 G36, ................. TWO! :) :patriot: :twocents:

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    The G36 is quite a bit bigger than the Kel-Tec PF9. The closest in size would probably be a Kahr PM45, though it's a bit higher priced than the other two.

Check your PMs!

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    I love my Glock 36. Small, slim, shootable, and perfectly reliable! Actually, my wife loves it too... and it has become her carry gun.

Now that I think about it, I may be in the market for another one! :rockwoot:

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    The AMT is probably the smallest. It shoots fine but has a horrible trigger pull. The G36 is a fine gun but is bigger than the AMT. The AMT is all steel so may weigh close to the same. I can fit either one in a front pocket but the AMT is much easier to conceal. Performance I'd say the G36, conceal-ability the AMT wins hands down :patriot:

AMTbackup45.gif

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    I have a Colt Defender and am very pleased with it. It is on the spendy side, I picked mine up several years ago when they were quite a bit less expensive then they are now.

I don't have any experience with the 36 but I do have a 26 (9mm) and like it.

You might want to check out http://www.smallestguns.com/ to do some comparison on size. Then do some more research on reliability etc.

Good luck.

I was just looking into what the smallest 45acp out there is for carrying. Only catch is that it must be a semi auto.

I'm also curious if anyone here is carrying the glock 36 slim 45acp. Seems like that's one glock that's had some mixed reviews on quality/reliabilty.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Absolute smallest 45 pistol I know of is the AMT DAO Back-Up. As has been previously stated, its got a horrid/heavy long DAO trigger pull but I don't thik it can be beat for its small size.

In the 1911 pattern guns the Detonics Combat Master, Para Warthog and the Springfield Micro are the smallest. The CM has a slightly longer slide, the Micro & Warthog have a slightly longer grip. The CM is all steel and 30 ounces, the Micro is steel/alloy and 24 ounces. The Warthog is a 10 shot with double stack, also about 24 ounces and steel/alloy.

Glock 36 is steel/plastic and 20 ounces and is a bit thicker in the slide than the 1911 pattern guns. Its got a grip length similar to the Detonics CM. The Taurus PT145 is a steel/plastic gun and has a shorter slide than the Glock 36, but is slightly thicker and slightly taller grip, weight is about 23 ounces.

I'm not sure if the Springfield Micro is still manufactured???

Top Bottom