What's the penalty for full auto w/o BATFE approval?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nalees

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    West Lafayette, IN
    I met a guy recently who told me he had modified one of his guns to full auto... illegally.

I was taken aback that he was so open about it, and I informed him that it was illegal, to which he acknowledged that he knew that....

Anyways, I'm pretty sure it's a federal offense, but I wondered what exactly would be done if the LEOs found out. All I know is I want to be careful if I'm ever at his place!

nalees

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    West Lafayette, IN
    Found this on wikipedia

Criminal penalties

Violations of the Act are punishable by up to 10 years in federal prison and forfeiture of all devices or firearms in violation, and the individual's right to own or possess firearms in the future. The Act provides for a penalty of $10,000 for certain violations.[6] A willful attempt to evade or defeat a tax imposed by the Act is a felony punishable by up to five years in prison and a $100,000 fine ($500,000 in the case of a corporation or trust), under the general tax evasion statute.[7] For an individual, the felony fine of $100,000 for tax evasion could be increased to $250,000.[8]

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Cell_Phonelol1024x768.jpg

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Indiana law:

IC 35-47-5-8
    Machine gun
    Sec. 8. A person who owns or possesses a machine gun commits a Class C felony.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.104-2000, SEC.3; P.L.123-2002, SEC.43.

Class C felony = 2 and 8 years of prison and a $10,000 fine

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Yeah, illegal under both state and federal law. The fed law is much more punishing though, as it can carry up to 10 years in prison and $250,000 in fines for each violation.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I met a guy recently who told me he had modified one of his guns to full auto... illegally.

I was taken aback that he was so open about it, and I informed him that it was illegal, to which he acknowledged that he knew that....

Anyways, I'm pretty sure it's a federal offense, but I wondered what exactly would be done if the LEOs found out. All I know is I want to be careful if I'm ever at his place!

you should run away. run fast, far, and forget you ever knew him.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Aside from the legal penalties:

If he's smart enough to do that, he's probably just as smart to not do a very good job of it either.

If he's your pal, tell him if it fires out of battery, it's not going to be pretty for him.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    OK, I question this guy's intelligence, and certainly his judgement. IF he wants a full auto gun tell him to get his alligator arms into his pants and pull out $200.00. SERIOUSLY, you can do this legally for just $200.00; there is no reason to take a chance with your freedom, your reputation, job, the ability to vote, to own guns, etc.

If he is your friend you should have told him that and made him chuck the offending parts, just like taking the keys from a drunk buddy. If he is just an acquaintance, I would not associate with someone who is so foolish, it probably spills over to other areas of his life.

Finally, I woud not have posted anything about it here. You could have looked up the law and found the answer to your question, then acted on your conscience or not. Why air this in public?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    IF he wants a full auto gun tell him to get his alligator arms into his pants and pull out $200.00. SERIOUSLY, you can do this legally for just $200.00;

Well, $200 plus the $4,000 or more for the registered sear/lower/etc. Still beats 10 years in the pokey.

Mokkie

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2010
    Sometimes things in life need to be unsaid. I dont believe I would tell anyone if I had a friend that has told me this. Yes he is dumb and would told him to get rid of it. But posting this on a form? Not me. Just asking for a lot of trouble jmho.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Scutter - My bad, I was thinking about SBRs and forgot how much full auto guns are nowadays. Not like in the 80's when you culd buy Walther MPK for $400.00. I'm getting old.

Top Bottom