What's the penalty for full auto w/o BATFE approval?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    All jokes aside about club fed:

The penalties, while relatively severe, aren't really all that much so compared to other dumb things you can do that will land you in jail with similar time and fines. The real kicker is in how aggressively the BATFE will pursue this action. That answer is REAL aggressively. And the jail time and fines are bad enough, but if they even suspect you of it they'll pretty much tear your house and property apart looking for it, and confiscate ALL of your guns which you will likely never see again. If you own any type of machining equipment, say goodbye to that too. Even if you are innocent, you are going to spend a whole lot of time and money proving this. Even if it's as innocent as a gun you have that malfunctions so that it occasionally doubles, you are risking deep crap that they will go after you for, no deal making, no quarter. They like making examples of people to discourage other people, so don't expect leniency even if you are an otherwise upstanding citizen.

To be perfectly honest, I'd rather have a questionable self-defensive use of my gun and face those possible consequences than risk the BATFE taking an interest that I might have an illegal MG which is why if I ever decide I want to play with full auto I'm going the legal route.

Jon Craig

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Lafayette, IN
    To be perfectly honest, I'd rather have a questionable self-defensive use of my gun and face those possible consequences than risk the BATFE taking an interest that I might have an illegal MG

You got that right. The ATF is NOT an agency you want to be on the radar of. They're the epitome of everything the term "evil agency" means. :/

3gunshooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Williamsport
    Full auto is fun all it takes is the wrong ears to hear it if your not legal. Not worth losing your right to own guns for the rest of your life. I use to know some people that did this crap, i don't have anything to do with them anymore.

Gpfury86

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Modifying your semi-auto gun without the right know how and home made sears and parts can result in bad stuff like aka wrong timing and fire without return to battery likehas been mentioned. In other words nobody should do it due to safety and also the small issue with attracting the wrong attention aka feds knocking on your door. Also this guy can't be too smart if he's telling everyone he's committing a federal crime....:dunno:

Thumper

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    South Indy
    I met a guy recently who told me he had modified one of his guns to full auto... illegally.

I was taken aback that he was so open about it, and I informed him that it was illegal, to which he acknowledged that he knew that....

Anyways, I'm pretty sure it's a federal offense, but I wondered what exactly would be done if the LEOs found out. All I know is I want to be careful if I'm ever at his place!
    Is anyone that stupid.:dunno:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Take heart that most folks who say that they've made some semi-auto into a full-auto are usually just FOS anyhow.

-J-

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Jasper county
    this thread needs to die! but in other news, i found out that he finally got rid of it. so thank goodness for that.

How? hopfully he didn't sell it to someone. MAPP torch or some other way of melting it down would be his best choice. Then ditch the melted down piceces in different lakes and ponds.

Top Bottom