• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    121   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    Just like some people like Chevys and some people like Dodges. You have tried and true 1911 fans. Glock fans. The pistols are all just tools. There are pros and cons of them all, and you mentioned some. Right now I have my Kimber Pro CDP in a Milt Sparks IWB on. Usually though, it's a Glock 19 in a Fobus paddle. I have reasons I like both. And I figure, I'm the weapon regardless of which tool I'm using.

Last edited:

Magnum314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Point, pull, bang! Every time...all the time! I have owned several Glocks, shot tens of thousands of rounds through them over the years, carried them on a daily basis as LEO, and NEVER have had a single malfunction of ANY kind! Period! I love my 1911's, but I cannot even say that about them...and then they cost up to three times as much! Simply put...they work...they work well, and they work all the time in! They are ugly, yes...but for their intended purpose...ugly gets it done.

As a way of history...did you all know that the Glock was first adopted as the Austian Military's official sidearm in 1982, and known as the P80 or (Pistole 80)? It beat out some AMAZING guns for that contaract too...Sig's H&K's, Beretta's, Browning, and FN, just to name a few!

I had one of the FIRST batch of G17s to make it into the country back in those wonderf 80's. I remember showing it to some fellow law enforcement buddies of mine, and telling them that this was going to be big...very big in the law enforcment and civilian market. They said, "No way! That toy will never make it...it will probably fall apart eventually." They actually warned me NOT to shoot fearing that I would severely injur or kill myself! Well...we all know the rest of THAT sory, don't we.

Deer_Slayer_90

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I completely agree, i told a glock freak that i wouldnt waste my money on a polymer frame gun anymore and i thought he was gonna try to ring my neck... i dont see what makes them so great. and his only argument was that they shoot underwater...how many gunfights happen underwater though????????????

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    *clears his throat and takes cover behind the life size John M. Browning statue in his living room*

I have quite a few complaints about glocks and am not bashful about expressing them. However, most (everything except ugly:D) can be remedied by the aftermarket. If you want to get into glocks and have reservations about their lack of safeties, as I do, there are several aftermarket options to fix that. If you don't like the grip you could have a grip reduction done. If you don't like the trigger you can do an inexpensive trigger job on your own. If you want a barrel with a fully supported chamber and conventional land and groove rifling there are a plethora of manufacturers to choose from.

Although, my humble and contrite suggestion is stick with handguns that already have your desired features.
    :+1:just for using the word plethora. haha

jason conley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    WEST SIDE OF INDY
    lets see if this starts fight. Everyone on here agrees the glock's best feature is simplicity. The revolver is much more simple, but the average glock owner can't shoot so he buys a glock so they can have more bullets.

B

birdhunter

Glad Tim asked the question I have considered a Glock and the folks I have talked to all say dependability is the big reason they like Glock but I am not convinced on the safety issue be interested to hear what folks think.

elaw555

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Simple
    Reliable--see above
    Accurate
    Light
    Durable--sorry to all the "it will melt in a hot car" guys
    Cheap mags--Glock mags 25 bucks...HK/Sig mags 40 bucks
    Holsters--not only are good holsters more available and cheaper but many are pre made with the expectation that they will sell quickly, therefore no need to wait for them to be built
    Parts--again since Glocks are so popular pats are available and cheap...replacement LWD barrels for under 100 bucks...springs, connectors, etc...aftermarket parts...threaded barrels, 3.5 connectors, trigger springs, etc...available and cheap
    Easy to suppress
    Tennifer finish--i know most other pistols have a similar finish under a different name but Glocks still seem to wear better
    Price--again popularity means the prices are cheap...supply/demand and all

Now don't get me wrong...sigs/hk/berettas/whatever are good pistols with most of the above features, but for the combo of performance and price nothing comes close to the Glock pistol

Tallenn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Thorntown
    I like my Glocks because they are:

easy to shoot
    reliable
    purty (beauty is in the eye of the beholder)
    fun

I, like MOST Glock owners, do NOT hate 1911's. I plan to own one of more of those eventually, too. I will still probably continue to carry a Glock though (most of the time). Right now, I generally carry a G 27 (.40 subcompact).

About the trigger pull: not only is it technically not the same as double action, but it doesn't feel the same as double action. Glocks come with about a 5.5 pound pull (many double actions are over 10), but can easily be changed to either an 8.5 or 3.5 (approximate) with an inexpensive part that anyone with basic mechanical skills can install themselves.

As far as the grip angle, that again is much like looks. I've heard a lot of people say they didn't like it, but it feels very natural to me. Maybe because I don't (yet) own a 1911, I don't know.

One warning: Glocks tend to multiply. You may start out just wanting to try one out, but before you know it, you'll have multiple sizes in multiple calibers. Don't say I didn't warn you.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I like the fact that it doesn't have external safeties to mess with before firing. Sure you can practice to disengage them, but I'd rather point and shoot if I'm under stress. It has also NEVER gone off on its own due to the lack of external safeties. I've also NEVER had a malfunction in mine. I'm sure others have had that experience with non-Glock weapons but I haven't, therefore I trust my Glock. Plus, in terms of parts availability and price, it's sort of the 10/22 of handguns. You can find pretty much whatever you want for them pretty easily.

Are they perfect? No. Are they the best? No, I don't think any firearm brand/style can make that claim. I'm sure there are other great handguns out there but for the price and for my experience with them, I like Glocks. YMMV.

By the way, has anyone on this forum ACTUALLY had a Glock explode while shooting it? Have you ever been at the range and ACTUALLY seen one explode?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    snip

By the way, has anyone on this forum ACTUALLY had a Glock explode while shooting it? Have you ever been at the range and ACTUALLY seen one explode?

Yes, actually one forum member has posted about his Glock 23 that blew up while shooting factory ammo.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Glocks are nothing but an Austrian version of a "Polish hand grenade" You never know when you pull the trigger if it is going to blow up in your hand!

To be polite to you, I'm not neg-repping this blatant troll-post.

but I will ask you for specific examples of this - documented examples of Glocks just blowing up firing factory ammunition: not reloads, not over-proofed loads, not custom barrels; but rather, a standard Glock firing standard ammunition... and none of this "oh, it happened to a friend of a friend of mine..." I want some serious citation to this sort of extraordinary claim. I'm willing to wager the prevalence of the 'ka-boom' phenomenon is due more to user error than to mechanical error... and that what mechanical causes which do exist are due more to incompatibility of piece and ammo than actual flaw of design. Is the round fairly unsupported in the chamber of some models of Glock when compared to designs of other manufacturers? I doubt I could find even a single person to dispute that fact, no. But nor would any of those people put reloads or over-pressure loads into a Glock. If anyone is so brazen and foolhardy to ignore a manufacturer's explicit warning, then I doubt any amount of cautionary advice is going to change that person's mind.

If for peace-of-mind you feel safer ordering a custom, more supportive barrel, go for it. But don't start feeding me horse feces and telling me it's hamburger meat. Cite some examples and put up or shut up.

rant:off

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    To be polite to you, I'm not neg-repping this blatant troll-post.

but I will ask you for specific examples of this - documented examples of Glocks just blowing up firing factory ammunition: not reloads, not over-proofed loads, not custom barrels; but rather, a standard Glock firing standard ammunition... snip

Glock pretends there isn't a problem with their .40s because there is money on the line. When shooters to pretend there isn't a problem with so many well documented instances they are simply doing themselves a disservice, when what they SHOULD be doing is pressing Glock to fix the issue.

But since you asked, here's one from our very own forum. Even in a sample population as limited as this board, there is an example of the issue.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...blown_round_in_chamber_new_mag_catch_gtg.html

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    From the linked thread:

I guess my nerves are so shot that I was not really alarmed at all. Just cleared the malfunction and that was that. I am a Glock armorer so all is well. Test fired it yesterday and it is GTG. It was an ammo issue not a Glock issue. If a round blew up in another brand of gun would you have been able to-

Clear it on the line
    Continue to shoot it
    Fix it by yourself
    Fix it with a $4 part

I think not.- George

But yes, we have had one on INGO. I stand corrected as to that fact, although it appears that it was not gun-related. :ingo:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    From the linked thread:

But yes, we have had one on INGO. I stand corrected as to that fact, although it appears that it was not gun-related. :ingo:

A properly designed gun would have contained the ammo failure. I've had case failures in other guns, and they did not result in the gun spontaneously detail stripping itself. The 23 was based on a 9mm platform, like many other .40s were, but I simply do not think it has ever been properly designed to handle the cartridge. This is one gun that needs the fully supported chamber, a simple change which doesn't hinder function and cures the problem.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    A properly designed gun would have contained the ammo failure. I've had case failures in other guns, and they did not result in the gun spontaneously detail stripping itself. The 23 was based on a 9mm platform, like many other .40s were, but I simply do not think it has ever been properly designed to handle the cartridge. This is one gun that needs the fully supported chamber, a simple change which doesn't hinder function and cures the problem.

The fact that it only broke the mag release and damaged the magazine should be proof that it DID contain the ammo failure, he even fired the gun again a few days later. I didn't say they were perfect though and I won't argue that a supported chamber wouldn't help. I just look at the prevalency of these situations vs. the upsides that I see in a Glock.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom