• ...and so much more!
  • HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    kingnereli said:
    You also say above that a two finger hold is "likely to come up in a gun fight".... based on what?

No, I've repeatedly said it shows the ease of making a glock malfunction due to limp wristing. I'm not sure where you got that from.

You are correct, I did misread what you were stating in one of the posts above, my apologies.

I will still seek your advice when I do finally get a 1911 someday ;)

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Riiiight, but you said:

We just said Glocks are "simple, affordable, and reliable."

Also, the last time I looked the title of the thread was

What's so great about a Glock?

Not,
    What's so great about a RIA 1911?
    What's so great about a Sigma?
    What's so great about a P95?
    What's so great about a Kahr?
    What's so great about a Keltec?

Not a single person said they are the ONLY ones that are "simple, affordable, and reliable." but that's the perception you tried to create, claiming we lay the Glock upon the pedestal or praise Mesiah Glock.
    :blahblah:

If you realize that those attributes don't set them apart from any other gun, then why mention them? If dozens of guns can be identified by that description, then it doesn't make Glock "great" it makes it mediocre, or, at best, adequate.

Sounds like a gov't school grade curve. "It's ok, you guys are all good students. We'll give you all a B+."

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    You forgot:
    10mm-2.jpg

That is a great shopped mod! I would give you reps, but it won't let me.

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    They come out of the holster and go "bang" when you need them to.

To me, reliability is the number one factor when choosing a defensive pistol, and Glock had that market cornered for the better part of 30-years. Gaston built a combat pistol. It wasn't supposed to be pretty, or something that would impress target shooters or collecters. It was meant to run in the worst of conditions with the crappiest of ammunition, becuase the owners life depends on it. And that it does - and does well. To those of us who don't carry a gun daily, or those of us who have no real experience trying to run a pistol in sand and mud, in a cold ditch, in the dead of night, while tired hungry and bleeding, the real positive points of the Glock design may never be something we fully appreciate.

I'm not in any way (regardless of my screen name) a Glock worshiper. I actually find the finger grooves uncomfortable, and the trigger guards tend to dig into the second knuckle on my middle fingers (something easliy fixed with a file and some sand paper.) However, the damn things work, and they break LESS than any other guns I know of. Yes, they do break. I've broken (in minor ways) 5 in the past 10-years...but then again, I shoot a lot and abuse the hell out of my guns. And I've also broken lots of other makes and models of pistols. What I do know is that PD's that issue Glocks keep a lower number of spare guns per gun in the field than PD's that run any other make of pistol.

For the sake of full disclosure, I typed all of this with a S&W M&P in my holster. I carry lots of different guns, and I try to get my hands on as many as I can. If handed a Beretta 92, or a Walther PPK, or a Deasert Eagle .44, or a Nambu, should I find myself gun-less in Mexico, I will carry on without complaint, and I will not use it as an excuse to loose the fight.

But should the Apocalypse unfold, and I have a choice of any pistol I want, I'd probably go with a Glock. They're not "perfection", they're not as pretty as some, they're not a force field that will ward off all evil, they just work. Simple as that.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Thank yew, thank yew, but I cannot claim credit for it, I've seen it floating around for a couple years now. I hate to admit it but the first time I saw it it took me some time to realize it had been photoshopped and wasn't just the way things were :@ya:

Oh. I'd seen it around, too, but I didn't realize it was fake until I saw this thread. Good to know!

"Don't believe everything you see online"

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    If you realize that those attributes don't set them apart from any other gun, then why mention them? If dozens of guns can be identified by that description, then it doesn't make Glock "great" it makes it mediocre, or, at best, adequate.

Sounds like a gov't school grade curve. "It's ok, you guys are all good students. We'll give you all a B+."

Problem is, when I actually list what's great about them, I get called a fanboy...

I mention that Vogel, Sevigney and Abbate continuously win Production Division matches, and get put down as it being the shooter, not the gun. Except the shooter chose the best gun available to them and they keep winning.

I mention that Glocks have more accessories, upgrades, holsters, cheaper mags, triggers, and I get blah blah / kaboom / limp wrist from the haters.

So you are right, it's a lose/lose for me.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Problem is, when I actually list what's great about them, I get called a fanboy...

I mention that Vogel, Sevigney and Abbate continuously win Production Division matches, and get put down as it being the shooter, not the gun. Except the shooter chose the best gun available to them and they keep winning.
    I haven't ever seen a list of the handguns used to win Production Division matches with a number of matches won by each handgun (or the significance of this particular segment in the grand scheme of shooting sports), so I'll have to take your word that there are no other handguns that continuously win. Though of course you didn't say that Glocks are the only handgun that continuously win, which brings us to my previous point, that unless there is something about this [STRIKE]statistic[/STRIKE] generalization that sets Glock apart, it is the same as all others.
    I mention that Glocks have more accessories, upgrades, holsters, cheaper mags, triggers, and I get blah blah / kaboom / limp wrist from the haters.
    Is there an accessory, upgrade, holster, cheaper magazine, trigger upgrade, or equivalent that is not available for any other gun? What does Glock have that no other handgun has? That'd be something that makes it great.
    So you are right, it's a lose/lose for me.
    :stickpoke:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I haven't ever seen a list of the handguns used to win Production Division matches with a number of matches won by each handgun (or the significance of this particular segment in the grand scheme of shooting sports), so I'll have to take your word that there are no other handguns that continuously win.

I'd get shot down pretty quickly by other shooters here if I tried to make that up.

Is there an accessory, upgrade, holster, cheaper magazine, trigger upgrade, or equivalent that is not available for any other gun? What does Glock have that no other handgun has?

Nope, it's just a numbers things. I can find almost anything I need LOCALLY, including several armorers. Don't have to go online or ship back to the manufacturer, unless I just want to save a few bucks.

I also think of SHTF scenarios where if I needed to scavenge for replacement parts/mags, I would have a greater chance of success, just because there are so many Glocks around.

That's just me, opinions may very. I'd like to see the M&P over-take Glock here in the U.S. and be just as common, but that may still take awhile.

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Seems most of the replies, have mentioned three things. Reliability, cheap, and accurate. I could name off quit a few guns that fall is this category. I mean if Glock being so great is based off of these comments, well then there are a lot of great guns out there. So Glock is on the list of great guns.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    The safety on a Glock handgun is the gray thing between your ears...it should be the primary safety on ALL guns, regardless of whether they are a Glock or something else.

That being said...Glocks are reliable, simple, accurate, light weight, interchangable, well designed, copied, tough, a 'go to' weapon, concealable, etc...to sum it up, they're A.W.E.S.O.M.E.!

I used to be where you are now (in my thinking) until a buddy taught me how to really shoot his G-23 back in 2001...after that experience, my thinking changed and I was hooked. My wife and I have owned a total of 5 of them since.

Just a suggestion, try one out, not to change what you carry, but to better understand what Gaston Glock did when he designed the pistol.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Why is it that the same few people have to jump into every thread concerning a Glock and start some argument about how they aren't that great, they are tired of hearing about them, tired of "fanboys," etc. If you see Glock in the title of the thread, just ignore it. What is so hard about that?

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Why is it that the same few people have to jump into every thread concerning a Glock and start some argument about how they aren't that great, they are tired of hearing about them, tired of "fanboys," etc. If you see Glock in the title of the thread, just ignore it. What is so hard about that?

Why? Because just like the question of the OP of this thread, some people want a balanced answer to the question. Why would anybody want to hear just one viewpoint on anything? It is exactly that kind of group-think that stifles innovation and change. It is also the kind of Kool-Aid drinking brand-myopia that so many people associate with over-the-top Glock Fanboy-ism. If you and others want to buy into the Glock "Perfection" marketing hype, that is your right, but don't expect everyone on a free and open forum to fall into lockstep with you... There are still plenty of "thinking" people on public forums as well.

I started, but then deleted a collection of problems with "Perfect" Glocks found with Google searching but the list grew to epic proportions... Just Google your own questions like, "Glcok Problem", Glock Agency Problem" and your screen will be flooded with information.

As the previous owner of two Glocks, I can say without reservation that Glocks are not "Perfect". They are very good and even above average, but that is what you should expect from a company that essentially makes only one product. There are other fine handguns out there from other fine manufacturers... Open your eyes and your mind to the possibility that Glocks are not "Perfect" and that other excellent handguns compete in the same market space.

I'm sorry if this Glock non-Fanboy has jumped into the middle of your Glock owner's mutual self-congratulation society.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Why? Because just like the question of the OP of this thread, some people want a balanced answer to the question. Why would anybody want to hear just one viewpoint on anything? It is exactly that kind of group-think that stifles innovation and change. It is also the kind of Kool-Aid drinking brand-myopia that so many people associate with over-the-top Glock Fanboy-ism. If you and others want to buy into the Glock "Perfection" marketing hype, that is your right, but don't expect everyone on a free and open forum to fall into lockstep with you... There are still plenty of "thinking" people on public forums as well.

I started, but then deleted a collection of problems with "Perfect" Glocks found with Google searching but the list grew to epic proportions... Just Google your own questions like, "Glcok Problem", Glock Agency Problem" and your screen will be flooded with information.

As the previous owner of two Glocks, I can say without reservation that Glocks are not "Perfect". They are very good and even above average, but that is what you should expect from a company that essentially makes only one product. There are other fine handguns out there from other fine manufacturers... Open your eyes and your mind to the possibility that Glocks are not "Perfect" and that other excellent handguns compete in the same market space.

I'm sorry if this Glock non-Fanboy has jumped into the middle of your Glock owner's mutual self-congratulation society.

I think maybe you should work on reading comprehension. I didn't say that nobody should question Glocks or that only pro-Glock viewpoints should be allowed. My question was why the same people on INGO have to jump into EVERY Glock-related thread. Your claim of giving a fair viewpoint from the other side would only be fair if people were actually giving factual information on Glocks other than references to "Glock Kabooms" or "Glock Kool-Aid." Are they perfect? No. Are they better than the rest? No. But please give some facts if you want to provide a "fair" opposing viewpoint. And if people owning and liking Glocks bothers you, stay out of that thread and don't complain about it. I don't know that this includes you, but it does to some on INGO and I wasn't referring my original comment specifically to you.

indymike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    I admit I have never been attracted to the looks of the Glock but those who have shot it and carry it rave about em. May need to rent one at the local shooting range and see what the fuss is about.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

Some folks just like to pee in other people's wheaties...

I'll think that if you read through the thread you'll find many people, like myself, who have posted why they like their Glocks WITHOUT claiming they were the perfect gun, or that they were the only gun that was as good.

The fanboy/hater duality is a self perpetuating event. It applies to just about anything including chevy/ford, .45/9mm, this sporting team/that sporting team, and so on and so on and so on. Some people simply have that personality type, they see the world in black and white and they have a serious need to senselessly cheer or bash whatever thing it is they love or hate. Unfortunately those types seem are often the voices heard loudest, and they feed on each other. The rest of us who may like or dislike something and can support that like or dislike with reasoned argument will often stop responding when it becomes clear we are dealing with someone who isn't really interested in discussing merits/problems, as they are in shoving their positions down other people's throats. I don't wrestle with the pigs because you both get dirty but the pig enjoys it. Those people quickly become evident to me, and I for one generally tend to ignore anything they have to say further.

Top Bottom