• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunwh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    I have had guys come to our Shop and or to us at gun shows and ask what I consider a unreal offer for a trade. here is a good example of what I have incountered.

Customer: I have a G22 i want to trade on that FNP40. What will you show me for it as a trade.

Me: Well sir what would you like to see out of your gun?

Customer: I want $500 on my Glock! As you can see It is in good shape for a first gen. and only has 1,000 rounds threw it. I see you want $525 for the FNP40 so Im offering you $25 difference.

Me: Well sir I cant show you $500 on a used Glock 22 first gen. Unfortunately I know I will only get $400-$425 out of the glock at most and it will more than likely sell at $390 before Tax. Now What I can do is show you what I get LE trade in guns for. That is $350. so your looking at a difference of $125 before tax.

Customer: well ok so are we looking at this whole sale to whole sale or retail to retail.

Me: Well sir the owner has to pay the yearly fees required to keep up the license to sell guns and to order new guns. There for I can only show you used whole sale on your gun and retail on ours.

Customer: Well That's not fair the way you do business have a good day!!!

Pardon me if I'm wrong but am I the only one that sees some thing wrong with this picture. and yes this was the exact conversation I had with a person at a show in the past.

Now before i get the comment of "well I can sell it as a private sale and get more." I know any one can benefit by getting more money out of there gun by doing a private sale. On the other hand If you see a gun on sale at a low price that you may never see again then is it not too much to ask to take a small hit in price to gain on the savings and satisfaction on the other end.

I guess Im asking how many people here might agree with the customer or with the dealer in the conversation above.

If you see I did some thing wrong in the above conversation please let me know since I'm not perfect nor have I ever claimed to be. Trust me my wife reminds me every day! Also add what you might do different or expect from a deal like above.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Sounds like about every customer that walked through the door when I worked at AAC! :D Mostly the Martinsville types...

You have a business to run. You offered him a handsome sum for a gun that are as numerous as stars in the sky. A first gen G22, I bet everyone is beating down the door to get that one! :D Customer was a huckle****, knew it but wanted to make a scene. $300 for his ratty Glock was a rip off FOR YOU! :D Should have offered $270, no more ;)

Used to get them wanting to trade a cheapo 9mm for a nicer 9mm and offer no cash as "it's a nine for a nine, I'm offering you a function trade, not value trade", then proceed to call me a number of names before storming out. Those were the best. At least the guy didn't begin to tell a tale of it being "insert something inplausible or incomprehendable here".

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I dont know many businesses that stay open when they dont make money. You gotta do what you gotta do. Some people will just never understand. Unfortunately I dont think it will ever stop, everybody wants 500 dollars out of their 300 dollar gun :rolleyes:
    I do not work at a shop, but I am in them enough to see plenty of people try ridiculous offers like the one you described. I am sure it does get pretty old for you!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Whatever I own is worth more to me than whatever you have, That is just human nature.

My model 60 has very "sentemental" value to me as it was my second cousins ex wife's fathers rifle and I used it to shoot a rabid racoon in 1984, That alone makes this beat up model 60 worth 300 dollars at least.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I understand the business aspect. If you take a gun in that sales on average, for lets say $350. How can you afford to give someone $500 for it, then try to make a profit on it. Even if they trade, and pay a difference. You are still sitting on a gun, which is still overhead. Some people just do not get it. It's the same way with cars, or anything else for that matter. In most cases you can make more one a FTF sale. If they are going to ***** and moan, then they should do a private sell.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    We, the gun buying public, have seen the same ridiculousness out of some gun dealers. As a test, I brought in Colt Python with some reasonable wear on it to a gun shop (not the op's) to see what they'd offer me in trade value. First offer was 375 bucks. Naturally I turned them down. On the flip side, that same dealer who gives terrible trade values, sells at great prices and service so I continue to buy from them.

In the end I do my selling and trading here and do my buying from pretty much two dealers.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Reminds me of the show Pawn Stars. Guy comes in with an item and offers to sell it to the shop. Shop has it appraised at $2500 - $3000. Customer says "I'll take $3000 for it."

For some reason, people are too dense to realize that a retail shop has to stay in business. If they make a habit of overpaying for items and losing money, they won't be in business for long. They don't take into consideration the fact that you have to make a profit on every sale just so you can pay for the overhead at the shop.

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    We as a society are becoming more and more ignorant as time goes by. Basic common sense understanding of the workings of business are being lost and replaced by what people "feel" the reality should be.

As a small business owner, I here people make comments that show they have no understanding about how little money actually makes it to my pocket. They think that if i sell a product for $100 that i pocket all $100 and that I should have to pay 35% of the $100 in taxes. They don't understand that the product cost me $80 and that i have to pay for the building, lights, etc out of the $20 of profit, so that in the end, only $5 actually makes it out as profit. Of that $5, $2.50 has to be left in the company so that i have enough to buy the next thing so that I can sell it, or grow the company. And lets not forget that I am taxed on the entire $5, even if i personally don't see a dime of it.

Yet another place where the school system falls down. We have to teach about Timmy having two mothers, but cant teach basic economics and business.

{end rant}:soapbox::soapbox:

willie69

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    this is very typical of the responses you will get everybody gets in a jam from time to time and need quick cash just wait until the dealer is in this sitution thats when a fair deal can be struck

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Sounds like about every customer that walked through the door when I worked at AAC! :D Mostly the Martinsville types...

You have a business to run. You offered him a handsome sum for a gun that are as numerous as stars in the sky. A first gen G22, I bet everyone is beating down the door to get that one! :D Customer was a huckle****, knew it but wanted to make a scene. $300 for his ratty Glock was a rip off FOR YOU! :D Should have offered $270, no more ;)

Used to get them wanting to trade a cheapo 9mm for a nicer 9mm and offer no cash as "it's a nine for a nine, I'm offering you a function trade, not value trade", then proceed to call me a number of names before storming out. Those were the best. At least the guy didn't begin to tell a tale of it being "insert something inplausible or incomprehendable here".

Martinsville types?

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I feel what you are experiencing. I used to work at a pawn shop and people would do the same type of thing. They would bring in a item that they bought for x amount and want x amount they paid minus 20 bucks or so for their item. Every business has taxes, employees, benefits, insurances (especially gun shops) and etc to pay and that has to be taken in concern in what YOU must get out of the item. Its simple math but I understand some people only see what they want and will get out of it.

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    I have had guys come to our Shop and or to us at gun shows and ask what I consider a unreal offer for a trade. here is a good example of what I have incountered.

Customer: I have a G22 i want to trade on that FNP40. What will you show me for it as a trade.

Me: Well sir what would you like to see out of your gun?

Customer: I want $500 on my Glock! As you can see It is in good shape for a first gen. and only has 1,000 rounds threw it. I see you want $525 for the FNP40 so Im offering you $25 difference.

Me: Well sir I cant show you $500 on a used Glock 22 first gen. Unfortunately I know I will only get $400-$425 out of the glock at most and it will more than likely sell at $390 before Tax. Now What I can do is show you what I get LE trade in guns for. That is $350. so your looking at a difference of $125 before tax.

Customer: well ok so are we looking at this whole sale to whole sale or retail to retail.

Me: Well sir the owner has to pay the yearly fees required to keep up the license to sell guns and to order new guns. There for I can only show you used whole sale on your gun and retail on ours.

Customer: Well That's not fair the way you do business have a good day!!!

Pardon me if I'm wrong but am I the only one that sees some thing wrong with this picture. and yes this was the exact conversation I had with a person at a show in the past.

Now before i get the comment of "well I can sell it as a private sale and get more." I know any one can benefit by getting more money out of there gun by doing a private sale. On the other hand If you see a gun on sale at a low price that you may never see again then is it not too much to ask to take a small hit in price to gain on the savings and satisfaction on the other end.

I guess Im asking how many people here might agree with the customer or with the dealer in the conversation above.

If you see I did some thing wrong in the above conversation please let me know since I'm not perfect nor have I ever claimed to be. Trust me my wife reminds me every day! Also add what you might do different or expect from a deal like above.

If you will make that deal for $125., just where is your shop located? :rockwoot:

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010

I really like your math! Which shop is yours? $525 FNP40 minus $350 glock is $125 plus tax. I need to come to your store.

gunwh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    it dosent all ways work that way. And yes I did show him more than I should but I had that gut feeling he wouldent bite any way. I have herd so many times before in not so many words. What I have is gold what you have is garbage.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Your side of the conversation sounded fine to me. That's the great thing about freedom. You have the freedom to offer, and he has the freedom to decline. Why would anyone get upset over that?

Top Bottom