What would you say is the best home defense round?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlueCow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    So I am looking for a good home defense round. Something that will not be fatal after passing through a interior wall not striking any studs, pipes, wires, etc, but just two pieces of sheet rock. Right now I'm looking at frangible ammo, glaser safety slug & extreme shock. I am hoping someone else has already done the legwork/research and found the best home defense round 9mm, thanks!!!

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    There are something like 25,000 members on INGO and I would expect as many opinions. I would and do use the hollow point that I am most accurate with.

David Rose

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You seem to be looking for something that defies physics. If it lacks the penetration ability to be lethal after going through 2 layers of dry wall, it's not going to have the penetration to go deep enough into a bad guy to reliably stop him. Sorry there are no magic bullets. Ammunition like the glaer safety slug will typically produce very shallow wounds. In 9MM modern hollow points from any of the big names will be your best bet.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    There are something like 25,000 members on INGO and I would expect as many opinions. I would and do use the hollow point that I am most accurate with.

No. 27,500 minimum! Some are undecided and some are schizophrenic!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am a huge fan of Glaser and Mag safe offerings. I have used them since the mid 90's and will continue to do so. .45 ACP with staggered rounds. Mag-safe, Glaser and so on. I keep on mag of Speer hollow points to punch through drywall etc.

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Magsafe makes prefragmented ammo. Glasser makes blue and silver. This type of ammo is very expensive and if you are going to use it for home defense, I would recommend taking out a loan and buying enough to shoot several clips worth through the gun to ensure that it will function 100% in your firearm.

BlueCow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    i looked at the mag safe, on the 9mm "swat" it said "do not use on springfield xd pistols". I have a m&p but that still made me leery....why cant it be used in a XD? i mean thats a very very popular pistol. magic bullet is what i was hoping for. something that will only knockdown a baddie and nobody else lol.[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    You seem to be looking for something that defies physics. If it lacks the penetration ability to be lethal after going through 2 layers of dry wall, it's not going to have the penetration to go deep enough into a bad guy to reliably stop him. Sorry there are no magic bullets. Ammunition like the glaer safety slug will typically produce very shallow wounds. In 9MM modern hollow points from any of the big names will be your best bet.

This!

There is no magic bullet that will stop a human being but not be deadly after going through dry wall.
    I can punch trough dry wall with my fist and still hurt a person on the other side. :dunno:

You need to rethink your tactics if you are worried that a friendly bystander might be right behind the wall where you might have to shoot an attacker.
    Use other angles to avoid that wall, bullterproof the wall or use a tool other than a gun.

BlueCow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    lol it was between the 600 Nitro Express Magnum and the m&p9.....the 600 is too hard to conceal.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    i looked at the mag safe, on the 9mm "swat" it said "do not use on springfield xd pistols". I have a m&p but that still made me leery....why cant it be used in a XD? i mean thats a very very popular pistol. magic bullet is what i was hoping for. something that will only knockdown a baddie and nobody else lol.

Use a Taser then, not a firearm.
    If you decide to use a firearm know your target and what's behind it as the round will still be deadly after going through your attacker's body and the wall behind.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008

Another +1. Sure there are over 25k users on INGO, and as many opinions. BUT, some opinions are worth more than others. Some are worth what you're paying for them. Others are like free expert advice.

Your job is to figure out which are which. ;)

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Another +1. Sure there are over 25k users on INGO, and as many opinions. BUT, some opinions are worth more than others. Some are worth what you're paying for them. Others are like free expert advice.

Your job is to figure out which are which. ;)

My opinion is more like the free expert advice type, without the expert part. :D

BlueCow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    hey i have kids in the house, dont want them to get hurt if i miss. they sleep all over the house. sometimes in their bed, sometime on the couch in the family room, or couch or floor in the living room. right now i keep a big club beside the bed. this is my first gun and im sorry if its a stupid question but i am really new to guns....i just shot a gun for the first time 2-3 months ago (i was instantly hooked, want to get a revolver next). the gun and unloaded magazines are currently locked up, and i have about 250 rounds of fmj for targets also locked up in a separate location from the gun. so if someone broke in, i have to do two different combo locks, in the dark, while adrenaline/terror is flowing through my veins, and then load a magazine.....and you get the picture.

Top Bottom