What would you say is the best home defense round?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pokersamurai

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    I would say get a quality 12 gauge.

With a 12 gauge, if you are really that worried about over-penetration, you could load it with birdshot (although I personally wouldn't recommend this) which will be relatively non-lethal after passing through two layers of sheet rock. while at the same time, you can have some buckshot/slugs on hand (preferably in a side saddle) in case you need a little more penetration or range.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Anything that's in the chamber.

If you want a magic bullet that doesn't go through people and through the house, forget a handgun, you will never have something effective in that platform.

Get a rifle in 5.56 and load up with M193. Might as well disregard any other opinions as honestly, this is the only way to achieve that magic combination of stopping power and limiting collateral damage.

But yea... Tasers are great, honestly a gun can't begin to compare in stopping power. Go for that if you can get comfortable with it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    What's the likelihood you miss and your standard bullet finds its way into a loved one in a lethal hit? Now, what do you reckon the odds are that an intruder with a firearm gets a few shots off in the time it takes him to die from a round that under penetrated, or worse yet its not even lethal hit, and that one of those rounds is a lethal hit to you or a loved one? Or that he can close the gap with you and lethally cut you or your loved one?

I'm way more worried about under penetration and the seconds that a determined attacker has to continue to fight even after taking a lethal hit. So, for me, 12g. If I need to shoot you in my house, I want you completely incapacitated RIGHT NOW.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    the gun and unloaded magazines are currently locked up, and i have about 250 rounds of fmj for targets also locked up in a separate location from the gun. so if someone broke in, i have to do two different combo locks, in the dark, while adrenaline/terror is flowing through my veins, and then load a magazine.....and you get the picture.

With your current system it doesn't matter much what ammunition you have as you will likely be dead long before you get a chance to use it. I recommend a bedside quick access safe like Gunvault or similar where you can keep your firearm loaded and ready to go without having to worry about curious kids. Get some training and practice.

If there is a chance someone you love is in the line of fire and you can't change this by adjusting angle, a gun is the wrong tool for the job.

Also as stated, I believe a 12 gauge shotgun is a much better home defense gun than any pistol. And for the love of god unless your home is being invaded by quail, forget the birdshot. :twocents::twocents::twocents:

Lethgar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2012
    The one you can shoot well after having secured your family and identified your threat.

HalfCocked

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Maybe get some training. Attend the NRA classes. You will get some real hands on ideas and personal coaching from folks that really know what they are talking about. A gun and cartridge are just tools. Learn to use the tools correctly and a lot of the apprehension about using the tool will go away.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    i looked at the mag safe, on the 9mm "swat" it said "do not use on springfield xd pistols". I have a m&p but that still made me leery....why cant it be used in a XD? i mean thats a very very popular pistol. magic bullet is what i was hoping for. something that will only knockdown a baddie and nobody else lol.[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]

Yup, you want a magic bullet. Try something carved from a unicorn horn.

Have you thought about the bad guy shooting from concealment? :n00b:

Definitely get training to use the tool you own work for you. That's a better investment than magic boolits.

And for fun, check of the Box o' Truth for penetration tests.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    You say you're new to firearms. First, remember firearm safety. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it. That will keep your family safe and allow you to use any round you like.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    What about a Blunder Buss?

I think the answer depends on how much recoil you can handle and style of place you live. I think bird shot from a shot gun is the safest in close quarters or in an appartment situation. I do have a soft spot for 357 mag and the wonderful 45ACP. All in all it depends on your style of home and hw close you are to others. For some a nice ranch rifle like the mini 14 is a great option. If you are only going to own one gun get a shot gun and pick ammo accordingly.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    What about a Blunder Buss?

I think the answer depends on how much recoil you can handle and style of place you live. I think bird shot from a shot gun is the safest in close quarters or in an appartment situation. I do have a soft spot for 357 mag and the wonderful 45ACP. All in all it depends on your style of home and hw close you are to others. For some a nice ranch rifle like the mini 14 is a great option. If you are only going to own one gun get a shot gun and pick ammo accordingly.

I was just getting ready to say Blunderbuss, load it with some broken glass, nails and maybe a few legos.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    A bad guy doesn't know PAIN until he's been shot with a Lego! :D

A 12 gauge with shot somewhere in the 2 to 6 range. They'll pee themselves when you work the action and if they stick around for the shot...well, first ya say it, then ya do it.

Whatever you decide to use, training is really the key, not the round or bullet chosen.

Top Bottom