what would you prefer as carry gun?? 9mm or 45?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Reasons why I'd choose the Glock 19?

It's dependable and reliable. Its a proven weapon.
    Small enough to conceal VERY easy. And big enough to do what you want with it. If you had the Glock 19, you really don't need any other pistol.

I would choose a 9mm over a .45 is because you can carry more ammo. The .45 is great to shoot. And I'd like to own another one someday, but just as a range gun. I sold my .45 for another 9mm.

I EDC a 9mm, a Glock 19, and I have another 9mm just so my wife has something she can shoot.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    glock 19 (and i carry one) i was a big fan of the 45 (even carried a glock 21 .45auto) but once i got in the comp shooting/military training i found that the 9mm is a better choice recovery time between shoots is far less.... and if a combat environment that time between well placed shots is everything .... yes a 45hp round is gonna do more damage than a 9mm but i dont after being hit with a 9mm hollow point your gonna want to stay in a fight (that's if you survive it)

pate

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Bloomington area
    Why decide one over the other?

My EDC is a 1911 with an FNP9 as a backup.
    well i have the option to either keep my g19 or take a citadel compact 45. so i was kinda in a hard choice here? from what ive heard of glocks there pretty much flawless. ive not heard alot about the citadel compacts. but i would imagine they are a great gun aswell. plus ive always kinda wondered what is the best caliber to go with? i know 9mm is cheaper, holds more rnds, and the 45 does lots of damage? but i guess with shot placement theres no worries.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Use that which in your confidence resides.

Make
    Model
    Caliber

These are three things that matter the least.

Confidence in knowing you can use your firearm to put a tap where you intend it to be in a high stress situation is what matters.

Good luck. I wish you well in making your choice.

Last edited:

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Me personally...G19 any day of the week, no doubt about it.

Reasons: I am a Glock guy. I carry a Glock everyday and own more than one. Glock is my go to handgun.

Light weight, good capacity, proven and reliable, easy to maintain, and a very nice shooter. The last one is up to each individual person, but Glock fan or not it is hard to argue the other points.
    Glocks are not for everyone. Everyone is different and there is no one single gun that is best for all. For me I like Glock. For instance, I do not like the m&p in any way, but I cannot deny it is still a great weapon, just not for me.

Also, for those on a tighter budget 9mm. ammo is cheaper than .45 so that can also mean more practice with your handgun.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Use that which in your confidence resides.

Make
    Model
    Caliber

These are three things that matter the least.

Confidence in knowing you can use your firearm to put a tap where intend it to be in a high stress situation is what matters.

Good luck. I wish you well in making your choice.
    Extremely well put REP FOR YOU!!! some important factor i considure are weapon layout (mag release, safety location (if it has one),slide release, ect...) more important than one would thing, another would be ecomomics some perfer diffrent widths, lengths, weights, and grip angles, (one of the reason some people prefer xd's over glock's its due to the diff rent grip angles)***yet another is action type what do you trust must single action, double action(da with a decocker?), striker fire, and reliability most important important (check reviews and do your homework)

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    Me personally...G19 any day of the week, no doubt about it.

Reasons: I am a Glock guy. I carry a Glock everyday and own more than one. Glock is my go to handgun.

John, Have you ever carried a 1911 .45 for any length of time? or have you ever seen a man shot with a 9mm or a .45?

Ya know why there are more bullets in a 9mm pistol than in a .45?
    Cuz yur gonna need em.

I carry a .45 cuz they don't make a .46 ....... for over 30 years.

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    Point taken Rambler,

Did you know that more people are killed by a .22 than any other caliber? But I would not carry a .22 caliber weapon as my primary self defense weapon. There are obviously different performance characteristics of differing rounds.

I read the police shooting story. It just shows that nothing is certain when dealing with mad individuals. I wonder why the cop didn't have his long gun out? He was at the car and it sounds like he had time.

Top Bottom