• ...and so much more!
  • Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    A few slightly different angles come to mind for me. First, if I'm in Dick's, I'm probably there with my wife and children. That being the case, my primary goal would be to protect them, which in the scenario of the OP could probably best be done by grabbing the kids and moving away from the robber as quickly as possible to a position of cover, or to a rear exit.

As others have implied, Dick's sucks, and I won't go there on my own--I'll drive a bit further and go to GM or to a local gun shop. But we do go to Dick's every once in a while to buy athletic gear for the kids, simply because their location is convenient to us. (This may not be the case pretty soon, since my wife gets a little more ticked off every time she has to say no to the employees about signing up for their tracking card.)

But...in the generic scenario of an armed robbery taking place in front of me--I still think I would probably try to get out of there. Maybe this makes me a wimp...but I don't shoot enough to feel a great deal of confidence in my quick-draw skills or marksmanship under threat. Yes, I should practice more--we all should--but realistically, I do not have the time or money to practice every day. I shoot reasonably well, but would still reserve the use of my sidearm for a situation in which I HAVE no choice, i.e., I am directly threatened, or my family is threatened. If a robber starts going around executing people, I would consider that a direct threat. But most armed robbers are unlikely to actually kill anyone, aren't they? I mean, robberies happen all the time, but it really isn't that often that we hear of a store clerk actually being murdered. There is a real chance that, with my non-professional firearms skills, my escalating the situation would only make things worse.

Yes, I would like to help anyone in need. But I think it comes down to this: do I have the necessary skill to believe, with a high degree of confidence, that I will be able to end the crisis quickly, without injuring a bystander or escalating the situation to put myself in greater peril? :dunno:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    You are several feet away from a cash register.....

a man pulls a knife on the clerk and demands the cash from the register.....

1. your life is not currently in danger
    2. you may be escalating the situation by pulling a gun on a knife wielding robber...what if he grabs the cashier and hides behind her?

However, for all you know he will slash the throat of the cashier after getting his money.

Your opinions :yesway:
    Where on earth did you get #1 and #2?

Anyone just feet away from you, armed and threatening to use the weapon...........YOUR life IS in danger. Big time.

No matter what happens next, it is just gravy if the cashier lives.

I am a Dad, I am going home in one piece. End of story.

Top Bottom