Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    posted info

-Knock Knock
    ---Who's There?
    -Nunya
    ---Nunya Who?
    -Nunya Business

Sorry :) But I don't see this as having anything to do with the OPs question.

There is no such thing as common law marriage in the state of Indiana no matter how long a couple is together.

/threadjack.
    If its Nunya then don't post it on an open forum. Sheesh. If you think enough of her to trust her enough to live with her and make children with her the INTELLIGENT thing to do would have been to make the relationship a true partnership in the eyes of the law and society. Living together is a can of worms for a lot of reasons.
    And here's my:twocents:. Talk to the mother of your child. Get your paternity documented if you haven't already. If you love her(and I hope you do. Honestly, you made a baby together) ask her to marry you. What in the world are you waiting for. A written invite? Sometimes commitment is a good thing.:yesway:

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    If its Nunya then don't post it on an open forum. Sheesh. If you think enough of her to trust her enough to live with her and make children with her the INTELLIGENT thing to do would have been to make the relationship a true partnership in the eyes of the law and society. Living together is a can of worms for a lot of reasons.

My point is that this has absolutely nothing to do with the OPs post. His referring to her as his girlfriend did not invite your opinions about his marital status unless it directly related to his post. I stand by my statement that your personal opinions about the place of marriage or your disapproval of couples living together has nothing to do with the OPs post. And to suggest that it is more intelligent to marry is just a ridiculous claim that merely reflects your own bias. People have their own reasons for how they manage their relationships and it is no reflection of their intelligence. I could care less what the eyes of the law and society think of my intimate relationships.

I don't want to threadjack here, so now... back to our regulary scheduled programming...

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    And here's my:twocents:. Talk to the mother of your child. Get your paternity documented if you haven't already. If you love her(and I hope you do. Honestly, you made a baby together) ask her to marry you. What in the world are you waiting for. A written invite? Sometimes commitment is a good thing.:yesway:

If we wanted to follow societies standards none of us would have guns.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    My point is that this has absolutely nothing to do with the OPs post. His referring to her as his girlfriend did not invite your opinions about his marital status unless it directly related to his post. I stand by my statement that your personal opinions about the place of marriage or your disapproval of couples living together has nothing to do with the OPs post. And to suggest that it is more intelligent to marry is just a ridiculous claim that merely reflects your own bias. People have their own reasons for how they manage their relationships and it is no reflection of their intelligence. I could care less what the eyes of the law and society think of my intimate relationships.

I don't want to threadjack here, so now... back to our regulary scheduled programming...

I think it's a legit question in the context. I don't have any issues with couples living together, but if they have a kid together the question becomes interesting. I've actually heard people say that they don't want to make that kind of commitment. My question is always, "How is being married a bigger commitment than having a child together."

If they're not married because this woman doesn't see him as her life partner, we've arrived at the core issue and the gun stuff is just the battleground, which is what I suspect anyway.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    I think it's a legit question in the context. I don't have any issues with couples living together, but if they have a kid together the question becomes interesting. I've actually heard people say that they don't want to make that kind of commitment. My question is always, "How is being married a bigger commitment than having a child together."

If they're not married because this woman doesn't see him as her life partner, we've arrived at the core issue and the gun stuff is just the battleground, which is what I suspect anyway.

Insightful as always. However me and my wife made the commitment that we could be a strong dedicated couple without the piece of paper or society telling us we are okay as a family just because we are married. I see just as many bad parents and bad relationships in marriage just as much as I see in living partners. The core issue is not whether you have committed on paper but if you have committed in heart and being:twocents:

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    I think it's a legit question in the context....

I can agree with this, I just didn't see that as the context in which it was orignally asked.

Insightful as always. However me and my wife made the commitment that we could be a strong dedicated couple without the piece of paper or society telling us we are okay as a family just because we are married. I see just as many bad parents and bad relationships in marriage just as much as I see in living partners. The core issue is not whether you have committed on paper but if you have committed in heart and being:twocents:

+1 My husband and I lived together for 10 years and decided to marry on our 10th anniversary. And even then, it was only because our employers, because of restrictions placed on them by the state, required it in order to continue providing health insurance through the others' health benefits.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO

I can agree with this, I just didn't see that as the context in which it was orignally asked.

+1 My husband and I lived together for 10 years and decided to marry on our 10th anniversary. And even then, it was only because our employers, because of restrictions placed on them by the state, required it in order to continue providing health insurance through the others' health benefits.

Fair enough.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Sounds like your wife is worried about YOU and a gun. Maybe she just feels border line safe for herself and your son the way you are now but a gun kicks her fear over the line. Her #1 concern is the boy. Have you ever threatened, screamed at or hit her or your son? Those issues have to be settled first if there are any. Forget the gun. Statistically most of us will never need one. But also statistically there is a real good chance uncontrolled anger will lead to serious consequences. Play the odds.

abigbadzebra

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Richmond
    My wife did have an emotional fear of guns, for good reason. Her dad was killed by a gunman on Ft. Bragg in 1995 (CNN - Sniper kills 1, wounds 20 at military base - Oct. 27, 1995). When I first wanted to buy a gun and she told me 'no' I knew why, but knew it was an emotional response. I recognized the need to discuss things with her, and in the end she was fine. She was in the Air Force at the time and had to qualify on a couple weapons... so that exposure probably helped as well.

Anyway, I only bring it up because years later (about 6 years now since I got my first gun), she just shot expert on the M9, she wants me to buy her a .380 pocket pistol, she wants her LTCH, and she talks about going to the range more than I do.

Having a kid in the house does complicate things though. We dont' have any, so I got guns just laying around all over the place.. lol.

Good luck!

Top Bottom