• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Who is in his camp? Does he get along with Boehner? Anyone? Is he isolated the way he appears to be? My perception is that he is a long time insider who is very much alone, pushed to the outside edges.
    Once he is president, Republicans will be defending him, and his ideas will get plenty of mainstream exposure. He'll no longer be the voice in the wilderness, he'll be the face of the nation. You're also discounting the follow-the-leader mentality within the party.

The big thing that also hasn't been mentioned is the revolution of ideas that could happen. His platform would get plenty of exposure and people will be considering ideas that they've never heard before on the corporatist news shows. Libertarian principles will be legitimized and would hopefully lead to a (larger) movement of people willing to follow his lead and adopt his platform.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Oh, come on. It was a joke. I get accused of hating America every time I criticize its government, kind of similar to how you were jumped on for asking a legitimate question.
    Oh sure. I recall a post somewhere on INGO once where Zoub (thats me) took crap for not using purple. So now, at times I use it, use purple or get out!

You did come off as a dork. Seriously, that is why this is not in purple. Very dorkish.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Once he is president, Republicans will be defending him, and his ideas will get plenty of mainstream exposure. He'll no longer be the voice in the wilderness, he'll be the face of the nation. You're also discounting the follow-the-leader mentality within the party.

The big thing that also hasn't been mentioned is the revolution of ideas that could happen. His platform would get plenty of exposure and people will be considering ideas that they've never heard before on the corporatist news shows. Libertarian principles will be legitimized and would hopefully lead to a (larger) movement of people willing to follow his lead and adopt his platform.

That's a rosy outlook and you make some good points. I don't think that's how it would play out, but it's a reasonable view.

For all I know, you may be older than I am. When I read what you write, though, I picture a young guy, early thirties, relatively new to libertarian thinking. I'm afraid you're in for a letdown.

And if you're my age or older: Dude, cut off the ponytail, buy some shirts with buttons and go meet a nice girl already. It's time to see the world for the way it is.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I understand the gist of the thread. Ron Paul has absolutely no influence over the other members of Congress now. They know him, he knows them. If he got elected POTUS, they wouldn't suddenly change their mind about him.

I haven't used one of my favorite graphics lately. Thanks 88GT

asshat.jpg
    Now that is an Answer Zoub can get behind. What you are saying is RP would be alone in the wilderness.

What Zoub no get is Donkey in Hat? He look kind of like Mongo.

blazing-saddles-mongo.gif

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    If he vetoed enough budgets would be bound to the budgets that the Congress passed.
    So the alternative is? Put his name on their legislative atrocities?

If his presidential record is like his Congressional record he would offer no legislation of note.
    Are presidents supposed to initiate legislation?

He would alienate every member of Congress.
    Congress is pretty pathetic, but come on. Supposedly Republicans want to repeal Obamacare. Plenty talk the talk about cutting spending. You really believe there won't be common ground? I disagree.

If he offered officers / judges unacceptable to the Senate they would not confirm them.
    Indeed. That is how the process works.

He would be impeached and removed inside of 18 months.
    Only in unicorn land.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    All this thread really boils down to is an argument to maintain the status quo. Most all here claim to want the same things Paul does but they never back down from a chance to snipe him. Do I believe he will accoplish anwhere near what he wants? Not at all. But I also don't believe that he'll be a co-conspirator in the destruction of the country like the rest.

Replace Paul in this thread with any of the other candidates. What will they accomplish besides a larger government?

I don't think Paul will win the election as most conservatives are more loyal to their "team" than they are liberty. Who is John Galt?

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    All this thread really boils down to is an argument to maintain the status quo. Most all here claim to want the same things Paul does but they never back down from a chance to snipe him. Do I believe he will accoplish anwhere near what he wants? Not at all. But I also don't believe that he'll be a co-conspirator in the destruction of the country like the rest.

Replace Paul in this thread with any of the other candidates. What will they accomplish besides a larger government?

I don't think Paul will win the election as most conservatives are more loyal to their "team" than they are liberty. Who is John Galt?

He won't win because most PEOPLE regardless of party don't agree with him about liberty.

Again, I may vote for him in the primary depending on the circumstances at that time, and I would certainly vote for him in the general election.

But I don't think he will be elected. If he were elected his presidency would either be a symbolic exercise or he would compromise and become what many here would call a "sellout."

Nobody gets what they want in politics. The whole thing is a battle to get the best you can get. If that means a crap sandwich rather than a SuperSize crap sandwich, your choices is your choices. But if by voting for a cheesburger I'll never get means I have to eat the SS crap sandwich, I won't be voting for the cheeseburger.

And I know that all many people here read was, "Blah, blah, blah, I'm a statist, blah, blah, I love Republicans, blah blah."

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    He won't win because most PEOPLE regardless of party don't agree with him about liberty.

Again, I may vote for him in the primary depending on the circumstances at that time, and I would certainly vote for him in the general election.

But I don't think he will be elected. If he were elected his presidency would either be a symbolic exercise or he would compromise and become what many here would call a "sellout."

Nobody gets what they want in politics. The whole thing is a battle to get the best you can get. If that means a crap sandwich rather than a SuperSize crap sandwich, your choices is your choices. But if by voting for a cheesburger I'll never get means I have to eat the SS crap sandwich, I won't be voting for the cheeseburger.

And I know that all many people here read was, "Blah, blah, blah, I'm a statist, blah, blah, I love Republicans, blah blah."

Just as we all must one day come to the realization that our hearts will stop beating and we will pass on to the hereafter, I've come to the realization that this country will one day colapse to third world oblivion. I can vote R or D and we will still be going in the same direction. The only argument is what to set the cruise control at.

Instead of getting an ulcer, losing sleep, high blood pressure, etc from worrying about changing what I can't change, I've developed a sense of gallows humor about all the bs. I'm to the point that I hope the R with the best hair wins and I can spend the next 4 years laughing at the very same people who complain about Obongo's this and that making excuses for Pretty Hair's growing government. They're taking me down with them, I'm might as well laugh at their misery on the ride.

There's nothing wrong with having a discussion about what Paul can actually accomplish and I think most everyone knows it won't be anywhere near what he wants. But I laugh at those who see this as an opportunity to pile on Paul. You know, "Paul is only 90% of what I want while my guy is only 50%. But shame on Paul for that last 10%".

Yes, Paul will have an uphill battle with congress even on a simple resolution regarding what color the sky is. But those battles will be mere skirmishes compared to the Armagedden battle we have as a nation convincing the general public to the ideas of liberty.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Just as we all must one day come to the realization that our hearts will stop beating and we will pass on to the hereafter, I've come to the realization that this country will one day colapse to third world oblivion. I can vote R or D and we will still be going in the same direction. The only argument is what to set the cruise control at.

Instead of getting an ulcer, losing sleep, high blood pressure, etc from worrying about changing what I can't change, I've developed a sense of gallows humor about all the bs. I'm to the point that I hope the R with the best hair wins and I can spend the next 4 years laughing at the very same people who complain about Obongo's this and that making excuses for Pretty Hair's growing government. They're taking me down with them, I'm might as well laugh at their misery on the ride.

There's nothing wrong with having a discussion about what Paul can actually accomplish and I think most everyone knows it won't be anywhere near what he wants. But I laugh at those who see this as an opportunity to pile on Paul. You know, "Paul is only 90% of what I want while my guy is only 50%. But shame on Paul for that last 10%".

Yes, Paul will have an uphill battle with congress even on a simple resolution regarding what color the sky is. But those battles will be mere skirmishes compared to the Armagedden battle we have as a nation convincing the general public to the ideas of liberty.

I'll tell you what's sunk in for me over the last ten years.

I have a wife, and a little girl. I have a very nice and growing gun collection. They put some good shows on cable TV if you pick and choose. On the weekends, I have some pretty good friends that come over for some good conversation. I like my job on most days.

These are the things that are important and that I can affect. Politics to me is an interesting hobby. I finally figured out that most of the world doesn't think like I do and they never will. When I'm in the grocery store, I pull my cart to the side while I'm looking at the shelves, because I know that any minute someone else is going to come along and need to get by. I've found that one little thing makes me a minority in the world. Most people don't even think well enough that it dawns on them that even though there's no one else in the aisle at this second, there will be ten seconds from now.

Once you realize that YOU are the freak and the rest of the world is normal, it becomes easy. Do I think my freakishness is superior? Yes. That and a buck fifty bought me a Venti Coffee of the Day at Starbucks this morning.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Dross,

We're mostly in agreement. I voted for Bush both times and I made excuses for his government growth for the first 6-7 years of his presidency. One day, I finally got up front behind the home team dugout and stood behind home plate. I realized that the government was bigger in 2008 than it was in 2000.

When we punish our kids for bad grades, they say "but I'm doing better than Billy and Suzy". Our response is that Billy and Suzy aren't the measuring stick, the perfect score was the standard. When we punish our kids for doing something wrong, they say "But Billy and Suzy did it". Our response is that Billy and Suzy aren't the measuring stick, right and wrong is the standard.

When we look at candidates for elected office, we need to choose who best represent the foundation of this country. We don't allow our kids to use others for a measuring stick, why do we do it with candidates? "Well, I have to vote for so and so because they're better than the other guy". Really, is that our standard? AGAIN, I DON'T FOR ONE MINUTE THINK THAT PERFECT CANDIDATES ARE POSSIBLE. I'm just stating that it's no wonder the bar for office keeps getting lower when the bar is only set at the least offensive smelling turd.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Most people don't even think well enough that it dawns on them that even though there's no one else in the aisle at this second, there will be ten seconds from now.
    You are almost there. The simple fact is those people do know and they don't give a damn. Spend 5-6 hours in a grocery store, you will see it. Ask them and they will tell you so. Kill them with kindness. They think they are pimping you and you are winning the battle.

I think the best thing Paul could do is use the Political Capital he has amased to actually accomplish something, like a third party movement, not running for President. Paul does not see that, his expiration date will come and he will regret it.

It is not bashing Paul to question his goals and strategy when some of us see him as wasting his time and possibly pissing away his chance to effect change. If the top 3 drop dead tomorrow it will be Huntsman that moves to the top. Not Newt, Paul, Santorum, Bachman or Palin. Christie or Jeb Bush would jump in at that point.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    You are almost there. The simple fact is those people do know and they don't give a damn. Spend 5-6 hours in a grocery store, you will see it. Ask them and they will tell you so. Kill them with kindness. They think they are pimping you and you are winning the battle.

I think the best thing Paul could do is use the Political Capital he has amased to actually accomplish something, like a third party movement, not running for President. Paul does not see that, his expiration date will come and he will regret it.

It is not bashing Paul to question his goals and strategy when some of us see him as wasting his time and possibly pissing away his chance to effect change. If the top 3 drop dead tomorrow it will be Huntsman that moves to the top. Not Newt, Paul, Santorum, Bachman or Palin. Christie or Jeb Bush would jump in at that point.

What are you saying? Paul should go on a book selling tour?:laugh:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    What are you saying? Paul should go on a book selling tour?:laugh:
    You know what, he would get more air time if he did and it works. Who gets the least air time of these people? Palin, Cain, Coulter, Goldie Hawn or Paul. Laugh now Mo Fo but what you just said is the best advice Paul never got.

A rule of advertising, good ideas are meant to be borrowed. The Sharks of the 1960's developed that concept.

As I like to say, you are trying to close me before I am sold. Paul is not a salesman. I get the feeling he has been coasting as an incumbent. He lost his taste for blood.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Dross, you might be a freak, but I'm not a freak, I'm a superfreak, superfreak, I'm superfreaky.

Regarding the original question, upon giving it some thought, I would LOVE to see Paul appoint a few members to the supreme court. I would also like to see a new attorney general and a new direction for the DEA and a relocation of our military and a secure border with a cherry on top.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    I am with most Paul supporters who would love to see him put up his feet on the desk in the oval office and light up a big hogleg. :):

Where is that purple agin....

Top Bottom