What Would Happen If You Shot a Gun in Space? (Space.com article)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    And I now want to shoot jupiter with a highly explosive device (maybe a grenade launcher would do the trick) just to see what happens when a 40mm grenade impacts and explodes at 134,216 mph...

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I would say the bullet would continue to accelerate until it hit something!

Just like on earth, acceleration halts when the bullet leaves the muzzle. Velocity will continue to hold steady.

This assumes deep space. If you're in orbit (like a space craft or even the moon), the velocity depends on gravity of the earth. Shoot at the right angle and that bullet will orbit earth for years, just like any satellite. Now, what angle? That's rocket science.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I would say the bullet would continue to accelerate until it hit something!

You mean when it gets close to something big like Jupiter, or while it's still far from any significant gravitational fields? If the latter, once it exits the barrel, no forces are acting, so it will continue with constant velocity (speed and direction). Newton's 1st.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    The bullet would leave the muzzle at a velocity approximately the same as it would in the atmosphere, but there is little gas in space to slow it down, so it could travel for hundreds of light years before slowing significantly. It would, however, interact gravitationally with anything it got "close" to, bending its path this way and that, maybe capturing or absorbing it.

The shooter would have that "equal and opposite" reaction to the ejection of the mass of the bullet, plus any residual thrust from the gases. Now, unless the boreline exactly intersected the center of mass of the shooter, more or less of the energy would go into torque, depending how far it is from intersecting. This would send the shooter tumbling and spinning, in addition to moving.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    F=MxA so according to this a 800 grain 50 caliber round fired in space would exert 20,195 Joules on the shooter? Then would to continue to fly until it hit the closest planetary mass. Or according to v = H0D the bullet would keep on flying forever disregarding the pull of plants because of the speed at which it travels.

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    F=MxA so according to this a 800 grain 50 caliber round fired in space would exert 20,195 Joules on the shooter? Then would to continue to fly until it hit the closest planetary mass. Or according to v = H0D the bullet would keep on flying forever disregarding the pull of plants because of the speed at which it travels.

:dunno:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Probably don't want to think in terms of that version of Newton's 2nd Law, plus Joules are unit of energy, which you would not get from that.

Instead, you want to think in terms of conservation of momentum. Assuming the astro is stationary before firing, the total momentum of the system, p = M*v, is zero since v = 0.

After firing, the total must still be zero, so:

p_bullet + P_gasses + p_astronaut&gun = 0

m_b*v_b + m_g*v_g + m_astro&gun * v_astro = 0

Then solving for the velocity of the astronaut:

v_astro = - (m_b*v_b + m_g*v_g) / m_astro&gun

You could probably get a good estimate by combining the mass of the bullet and powder charge and assuming they exit the barrel at the same velocity.

You'll want to convert the mass of the bullet and powder in grains to kilograms and use m/s for velocities to make it simpler.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Probably don't want to think in terms of that version of Newton's 2nd Law, plus Joules are unit of energy, which you would not get from that.

Instead, you want to think in terms of conservation of momentum. Assuming the astro is stationary before firing, the total momentum of the system, p = M*v, is zero since v = 0.

You could probably get a good estimate by combining the mass of the bullet and powder charge and assuming they exit the barrel at the same velocity.

You'll want to convert the mass of the bullet and powder in grains to kilograms and use m/s for velocities to make it simpler.
    True. I couldn't calculate the mass of the round since M=DxV and I don't know the density of the round or the volume. I'll use metric next time

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co

and now you see why I was so disappointed you didn't go to the nra banquet! man I like statics and dynamics! ;)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    and now you see why I was so disappointed you didn't go to the nra banquet! man I like statics and dynamics! ;)

And really, who doesn't?

Next time . . . there will be more banquets and more opportunities for me to wax pedantic . . .

Top Bottom